Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2012, 11:41 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,626,290 times

Advertisements

The Marietta Daily Journal - Keep Archives Open Kemp closing door on Georgia

http://www.change.org/petitions/the-...-to-the-public

https://www.facebook.com/#!/Georgian...gStateArchives

is anybody interested in this ? I am. This is a crock. Georgia has one of the richest histories in the nation. They were one of the original 13 colonies and soooo many people passed through Georgia during those early years. I smell politics, as well. It is less than $1 mil to keep it open this year and they have already laid off 7 of 11 employees. Many people travel to these archives and spend money in the area on lodging, transportation and meals. Start charging a fee to get into the archives, something. I wonder if it is even legal to prevent the public from accessing public information.

There are petitions to sign, FB pages on this and letter writing that could be done to the state lawmakers if you feel strongly about this.

Jeb Bush tried the same thing in Florida but it was stopped by a concerted efforts of like minded people. We literally drove to Tallahassee and linked hands around the library, as much as we could, as a protest. It was effective.

I hope some will respond with signing the petition or joining the fb page.

http://www.news-daily.com/news/2012/...hives-closing/

http://newstimes.augusta.com/opinion...to-its-history this opinion piece is the best.

Last edited by AnnieA; 09-19-2012 at 11:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 07:28 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Signed it. Emailing other researchers.

Suzy Q

Old 09-19-2012, 08:32 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,138,742 times
That Facebook page is confusing. They're saying it was the George State Archives, but the photo at the top is of the Georgia branch of the National Archives.

Which is it?

Old 09-19-2012, 11:40 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
That Facebook page is confusing. They're saying it was the George State Archives, but the photo at the top is of the Georgia branch of the National Archives.

Which is it?
The two buildings are side by side and share a parking lot. The sign is for both the National Archives and the Georgia Archives.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:20 PM

At the moment, Deal says it will stay open but I believe it is a hollow victory and temporary. I wish someone would bring a suit against the state of Georgia about restricting access to the public to public documents.

The number of people left will not be able to handle a job of this magnitude. Why not start charging a reasonable entrance fee for the use of the library ? A way could be found.

A genealogy cousin said that she heard that the Georgia Historical Library/Savannah has already hired one of the archivists.

If the security and janitorial staff is fired, what will happen to these important documents in this library ? I am stunned.

Clayton News Daily | Governor: Georgia Archives will stay open

Old 09-20-2012, 05:58 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times

Old 09-21-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
what does this mean ? I'm dense.....LOL.

Old 09-22-2012, 12:38 AM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
what does this mean ? I'm dense.....LOL.
Disbelief that they would want to close the archive! Unfortunately there is a not too bright, throw-away-the-past mentality in America that is now focusing on libraries. It's as if to say: "I have a Kindle so we don't need libraries anymore." It's stupid. As if the masses in this country weren't uneducated enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy