U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 01:12 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts

Advertisements

Anybody order this or think of ordering it? Looks like a great test especially for the price ($215 w/tax and shipping) compared to Family Tree DNA or 23andMe. Checks AIM's on both mtDNA (over 3,000 markers) and Y-DNA (over 10,000 markers) and Autosomal (over 130,000 markers). This is perfect for those who are not looking to match-up or connect with cousins but just get your admixture and deep ancestry on both the maternal and paternal lines. As a little bonus it will also examine if you have any Neanderthal or Denisovan DNA

I was wanting to do this type of test but it was so expensive with the other companies I passed on it. Also, some of what they included I did not want - this test seems perfect.

What do you guys think?

https://genographic.nationalgeographic.com/about/
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 07:40 PM

2,457 posts, read 6,787,037 times
I definitely want it and trying to rat hole $$ to pay for it. Five lines of our family participated in the Genographic Project and found it very interesting. I hope to do this one sooner than later.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:59 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
I definitely want it and trying to rat hole $$ to pay for it. Five lines of our family participated in the Genographic Project and found it very interesting. I hope to do this one sooner than later.
And that was the 1.0 version This test looks sweet! I do not think you can get a better deal. Just look at the prices on FTDNA which is really about making connections to cousins so as to further your research with new starting points. I really was not looking for that and I just happened to look at the Genographic website and there was this new test - they are just starting to mail them out.

For example just to get a Y-DNA 67 STR marker test is $268. The mtDNA Plus test which test 1121 markers (HVR1 and HVR2) is $159. Then to get the Autosomal Family Finder which test for 700,000 (which is more than needed for an admixture test) is another $289.

The Geno 2.0 test is awsome if you don't care about all the other user goodies or finding matches with 2nd to 6th cousins.

Old 10-12-2012, 09:54 PM

6,934 posts, read 7,871,426 times
I particpated in the first-round of Genome testing 5-6 years ago and yesterday sent-in my 2.0 DNA samples. I'm a male. I paid $169 if I'm remembering correctly. Maybe I received a discount because I was an earlier participant. There was a 2-month delay in receiving the test kit. I've also recently submitted DNA for the Y-DNA-111 testing. Just shyof $400 in cost for that one. From the 1.0 Genome testing I've been in contact with several persons to whom I have some sort of relationship. I'm hoping to refine those contacts.

Old 10-12-2012, 10:58 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
I particpated in the first-round of Genome testing 5-6 years ago and yesterday sent-in my 2.0 DNA samples. I'm a male. I paid $169 if I'm remembering correctly. Maybe I received a discount because I was an earlier participant. There was a 2-month delay in receiving the test kit. I've also recently submitted DNA for the Y-DNA-111 testing. Just shyof $400 in cost for that one. From the 1.0 Genome testing I've been in contact with several persons to whom I have some sort of relationship. I'm hoping to refine those contacts.
From what I understand FTDNA is good for connecting/matching with persons recently related to you. I pretty much know my direct line back to 7 generations - I am not sure what the accuracy is beyond this but trying to hook-up with cousins that distance is not my cup ot tea. $169 is great - yeah you probably did get an early discount

I would be interested to hear of the results of both the Geno 1.0 and 2.0 and your Y-DNA 111 results. What did your Geno 1.0 tell you?

Old 10-13-2012, 01:42 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Ok I knew this was a good test but holy smokes - I just read this blog regarding it and it looks awsome. I mean Illumina created a new chip just for the Genoproject Plus you get the RAW data to mess with and research on your own.

Genographic Project | DNAeXplained – Genetic Genealogy

Scoll down particularly to July 25th entry.

I love this part for it is perfect for what I have been looking for: 'I specifically asked Spencer Wells if this will help resolve those “messy” situations where we have European, Native American and African admixture, and he indicated that it would.'

Old 10-13-2012, 08:47 AM

7,214 posts, read 8,699,410 times
What method do they use to collect the sample?

Old 10-13-2012, 10:36 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
What method do they use to collect the sample?
Are you talking about the kit or the genotyping technology? The Kit is two cheek swabs protected in a plastic vial with a liquid to protect the sample. The genotyping is with a newly designed chip by Illumina just for the Genographic project - a micro array bead chip. The links gives some info on it. But here is the Illumina website: Illumina, Inc.

Old 10-13-2012, 02:30 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Here is the actual specific info on the chip. Infinium iSelect HD Custom Genotyping BeadChips

Old 10-14-2012, 01:38 AM

394 posts, read 1,412,964 times
Took my cheek swabs today and will send them back Monday. The hard part is the waiting 6-8 weeks. I took the first Genographic test and Ancestry's test, and I'm looking forward to seeing what this one will say. Maybe it will fill in some of the holes in my Ancestry DNA results. I'm female and paid $185.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy