U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 06:24 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,916,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
There are some Finns who do have slanted eyes.
Epicanthic folds are relatively common throughout the Nordic countries.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 06:43 AM

1 posts, read 1,016 times
I'm an asian and I don't have slanted eyes, more like half-asian and half-round. I'm also left handed and no one in my family (that I know of) has this. I also have olive skin, not like my sisters. Two of my sisters who are twins have fair skin and my biggest sister has tan skin. When I clasp my hands together my left thumb goes over my right. Oh and I also have an outtie bellybutton which I don't like :c

Old 09-26-2014, 02:27 PM

33 posts, read 32,582 times
I have five siblings and I am the only who has curly hair as well as being left handed. Turns out the great-grandfather who I knew nothing about until I got into genealogy had curly hair. At least 3 of my great grandparents were left-handed( not sure of the handedness of one set of great grandparents). I can see some other physical traits in my ancestors in myself but I don't think I bear a strong resemblance to any of them. However one of my younger brothers, dad, and grandfather all looked quite a bit alike at a certain age in childhood.

My siblings and I are pretty diverse. My two older siblings and I have blue eyes and had blond hair as infants. My three younger siblings all have brown eyes. Our dad has blue eyes and our mom brown eyes. Three siblings have asthma and they also seem to be more sensitive to the sun than the rest of us I recently found out a gg grandfather died of asthma related causes.

Old 09-27-2014, 01:50 AM

6,323 posts, read 5,678,305 times
My paternal aunt has a large birthmark on her upper outer left thing. A "cafe au lait" mark that is at least 5 inches. My only female cousin on that side has one in the EXACT same place but smaller and a little less dark. I also have one in the EXACT same place but only about 2 inches and much lighter.

I have never heard of birthmarks being inherited in such a way.

I used to fantasize that i was "switched at birth" but my fantasy couldn't last long w evidence like this!

Old 09-28-2014, 12:03 PM

17,086 posts, read 12,043,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Red hair is a mix of brown and blond.

Green eyes are a mix of brown and blue.
No.

There are two types of melanin responsible for hair color. Eumelanin is a dark pigment responsible for brown to black hair. Pheomelanin is responsible for the varying shades of red hair, along with the appearance of rose-hued body tissues like your lips. Along the range of redheads, strawberry blondes have little to no eumelanin and a small amount of pheomelanin. Bright gingers have little to no eumelanin and a lot of pheomelanin. Auburns have a moderate amount of eumelanin and a lot of pheomelanin. True blonde hair, btw, indicates absence of both types of melanin.

Blue eyes indicate the absence of eumelanin. If you view the lens of a blue-eyed person from the side, you will see no pigment at all. The blue results from Rayleigh scattering, the same phenomenon that makes our sky appear blue. The appearance of green eyes means that the iris' stroma layer is tinted yellow by pheomelanin (lipochrome), which when combined with Rayleigh scattering makes for emerald peepers. Green eyes are more common for women than men.

Last edited by randomparent; 09-28-2014 at 01:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy