Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2016, 07:43 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,365,624 times

Advertisements

One of my ancestors, Mary Ann Morrison, was the second wife of Thomas (Stonewall) Jackson and another ancestor, Hugh de Moreville ( he was actually a Morrison too, but frenched up his name), was one of the knights who killed Thomas a Beckett, the Archbishop of Canterbury.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 09:14 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,288,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
One of my ancestors, Mary Ann Morrison, was the second wife of Thomas (Stonewall) Jackson and another ancestor, Hugh de Moreville ( he was actually a Morrison too, but frenched up his name), was one of the knights who killed Thomas a Beckett, the Archbishop of Canterbury.
Not to be argumentative, but in genealogy I try to always raise points and/or questions when I see red flags arise.

I see nothing suggesting Hugh De Moreville (who killed Becket) was a Morrison. I also see neither evidence he had any children or that he "frenched up his name". the pattern of <name> de <place> was extremely common in England at that time and simply mean Hugh of Moreville de simply meaning "of" in French. Much of the elite culture of England was heavily dominated by French culture (including language) since the Norman Conquest.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_d...of_Westmorland
Pedigree Chart for Hugh de Moreville: Genealogics

As far as I can tell he was Hugh de Moreville son of Hugh de Moreville (m. Beatrice de Beauchamp) son of Simon do Moreville son of Hugh de Moreville. As you can see "de Moreville" was an appellation inherited via multiple generations.

Again I also see no evidence he had any children. His exact identity (the one who was one of four who murdered Becket) seems somewhat debated online, though the above seems to be the consensus.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:09 PM

4,815 posts, read 4,717,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Featherbeds! That one got to me, too!

I even slept on one that my grandmother had. I would love to know where it came from. I remember when the mattress got turned into pillows, and I do have some of those. I wonder if someone could tell me how old those feathers are?

I suspect the featherbeds were prized because they had to be more comfortable than the alternatives, and it took a lot of feathers to make one.

Featherbeds, duvets, eiderdowns, feather ticks - history
Featherbeds were also prized because they kept the sleeper warm on cold winter nights in uninsulated houses, with no heat but a kitchen stove (that probably had the coals banked so it would fire up in the morning).

Old 08-01-2016, 10:15 PM

7,274 posts, read 5,238,437 times
Yes I do, but not one I ever met. My mother has told me the story many times where back in the day there was a fight in the family and this person and my great aunt had a falling out and he left and "divorced" himself from the family.

Adolph Zucker - founder of Paramount Pictures.

Old 08-10-2016, 06:48 PM

15,199 posts, read 10,167,202 times
My great uncle was a semi famous boxer in New York in the 1920's.

Old 08-10-2016, 06:57 PM

18,774 posts, read 27,204,822 times
Yes. Adam and Eve.
And Lucy.

Old 08-14-2016, 12:49 AM

2,567 posts, read 5,281,640 times
No one particularly famous yet, but a son of one of my 6th great uncles was a governor of Tennessee and diplomat for Pres. Pierce.

There are a couple of famous people who married family members, though: Salmon P. Chase married a first cousin, 5X removed; and Susan B. Anthony was the first cousin of a woman who married a 2nd cousin, 5X removed.

Old 11-30-2016, 02:48 PM

452 posts, read 1,317,164 times
I posted earlier of one of more prominent ancestors. I know some people have also shared about “famous people” they may be descendant of. I am now posting about somebody I am supposedly related to. I don’t have any famous relatives that I know of. I did test with 23andMe, Ancestry DNA and FTDNA. FTDNA’s Family Finder incidentally lists Li-An Previn (or Li-An Mary Previn), adopted daughter of André Previn, German-American pianist, conductor, and composer as a relative (5th to remote cousin). See:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andr%C...#Personal_life It shows our share centimorgans to be 21 and longest block to be 8 centimorgans Not sure how we are related or how, if any, would be our common ancestor. And the common ancestor would probably be at least several generations back. I guess that will be the closest “famous” or anywhere near famous relative.

Old 11-30-2016, 03:29 PM

4,962 posts, read 5,211,860 times
Not a descendant of, but 'cousins'. I've spent the last couple of days trying to figure out how my husband and children are related to Elvis through the Presley line.

Old 11-30-2016, 06:17 PM

18,332 posts, read 26,360,529 times
Councillor John Gilman of NH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy