Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 06:50 PM

313 posts, read 450,471 times

Advertisements

I don't, but my mate's ancestory includes Bat Masterson and Mary Queen of Scotts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 07:16 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,315,120 times
Joanne Gair is my cousin!

Old 12-06-2012, 07:36 PM

21,539 posts, read 8,722,464 times
I am a direct descendant of Harriet Beecher Stowe, the author of Uncle Tom's Cabin.

It has long been rumored (but can never be proven) that my mother's side of the family are descendants of Captain John Smith and Pocahontas's love child, an ancestor of mine named Peregrine Smith. In reality Pocahontas married John Rolfe, had one child by him, and was not known to have been romantically involved with Smith, but the rumors have persisted for generations. There is even a website dedicated to this story.

On my father's side I am said to be distantly related to Robert Fulton and President Grover Cleveland, but I cannot verify this.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:43 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
I am a direct descendant of Harriet Beecher Stowe, the author of Uncle Tom's Cabin.

It has long been rumored (but can never be proven) that my mother's side of the family are descendants of Captain John Smith and Pocahontas's love child, an ancestor of mine named Peregrine Smith. In reality Pocahontas married John Rolfe, had one child by him, and was not known to have been romantically involved with Smith, but the rumors have persisted for generations. There is even a website dedicated to this story.

On my father's side I am said to be distantly related to Robert Fulton and President Grover Cleveland, but I cannot verify this.
Hey we are cousins! She was a descendant of Samuel Chapin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Chapin

Last edited by 2K5Gx2km; 12-06-2012 at 09:17 PM..

Old 12-06-2012, 08:56 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,012,366 times
Who is Joanne Gair? My computer only gets citydata. Otherwise I'd use google to look this one up.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:20 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
[quote=Shiloh1;27240783]Hey we are cousins! She was a descendant of Samuel Chapin.

Oh! The Puritan! I always remember that statue standing in front of the library and asking my dad who that was.

I descend from Puritans too but not that one. Another ancestor, infamous in some ways, was Major Robert Rogers of Rogers Rangers who formed an army of sorts for the French and Indian War. He was a ruthless fighter and a very smart man who wrote books about his style of warfare and the movie, Northwest Passage is about him.

He wasn't a very nice man, apparently. Mean, liar, dishonest, gambler, drunk, not a good person, and George Washington thought he was probably a traitor as he volunteered to fight on either side--he just wanted to fight. His wife even divorced him and how often did that happen back in those days?? He finally ended up fighting for the British.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:35 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
Hey we are cousins! She was a descendant of Samuel Chapin.
Oh! The Puritan! I always remember that statue standing in front of the library and asking my dad who that was.

I descend from Puritans too but not that one. Another ancestor, infamous in some ways, was Major Robert Rogers of Rogers Rangers who formed an army of sorts for the French and Indian War. He was a ruthless fighter and a very smart man who wrote books about his style of warfare and the movie, Northwest Passage is about him.

He wasn't a very nice man, apparently. Mean, liar, dishonest, gambler, drunk, not a good person, and George Washington thought he was probably a traitor as he volunteered to fight on either side--he just wanted to fight. His wife even divorced him and how often did that happen back in those days?? He finally ended up fighting for the British.
Wow! Never heard of this guy. I will have to read-up on him - thanks! Yeah, I always wanted to go see that statue with my mom (her maiden name is Chapin) and get a picture. One day!

Old 12-07-2012, 05:24 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
IIt has long been rumored (but can never be proven) that my mother's side of the family are descendants of Captain John Smith and Pocahontas's love child, an ancestor of mine named Peregrine Smith. In reality Pocahontas married John Rolfe, had one child by him, and was not known to have been romantically involved with Smith, but the rumors have persisted for generations. There is even a website dedicated to this story.
I love the stories, even if not true. Some still claim my 5x great grandfather from NC, Abe Enloe, was Abe Lincoln's real father after he got Nancy Hanks, who was a house servant at the time, pregnant. After his wife found out, he had Abe and Nancy shipped West with my 4x great grandparents and then arranged Nancy's marriage to Thomas Lincoln.

Another good one is my 6x great grandmother who was supposedly the daughter of the commander of the King's Guard and against his wishes sailed off to sea with an English ship's captain (who looked like Russell Crowe I'm sure). The ship of course wrecks in a storm and she's picked up as salvage by a French merchant ship whose captain then sells her into indentured servitude here in Virgnia. I have no evidence on the veracity of this one but other less than reliable family stories on that side lead me to believe there likely isn't any.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:52 AM

881 posts, read 2,092,267 times
One side has been in VA/WV for nearly 400 years, the other side ~ 4,000 or so (depending on who's research one goes with).
In all that time, no political figures of note, celebrities, scientists, whatever. I guess someone had to muck the stables & dig ditches...

Old 12-07-2012, 07:32 AM

335 posts, read 334,830 times
I had a distant aunt trace the family on my mother's side all the way back to Connecticut before the revolution. Turns out my family were Tories and had to flee to upstate New York. Well, there went my hopes of joining the Sons of the American Revolution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy