Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 06:13 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts

Advertisements

I have a picture of a Cigar and Tabacco shop in this area that I would like more details on if possible. The name on front of the shop is Anton Bachmann Cigarrenschaft.

This person is a relative but I have no idea who it might be. There is another sign that I can partially read - it says Taba.. Cirgarren Cigarre... Schnuf und Kautahak Hand...von A. Bachmann.

Their relatives moved to America in 1865.

It is a part of a 2-3 story building with two doors and a widow in the middle. It has three windows upstairs with two little windows above. The street is cobblestone and has a slight gradient.

Anybody with any historical sense know anything about this place and its owners?

Much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 02:27 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times
Not sure you'll have replies from anyone with specific knowledge. Guessing you understand the writing so didn't translate. Sounds like an interesting pic. Can you scan and post it?

Old 06-05-2010, 11:02 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Not sure you'll have replies from anyone with specific knowledge. Guessing you understand the writing so didn't translate. Sounds like an interesting pic. Can you scan and post it?
I will try and do that - never done it - I'll have to figure that out. It is a cool pic.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:58 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Default Saxony, Germany c.1900 Photo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
I will try and do that - never done it - I'll have to figure that out. It is a cool pic.
Wow! Forgot about this until I posted another thread with another picture regarding the same family. Anyway, here is the picture if anyone knows or can figure out where exactly this was in Germany - I am thinking Saxony?
Attached Thumbnails
Saxony, Germnay c.1900-bachmann-relatives-germany.jpg  

Old 01-14-2013, 04:52 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Is there anything written on the back of it? I would not assume it's in Germany unless specifically stated on the photo - there were parts of the US in which German speakers and business signs could still be found in the late 19th/early 20th century. It was really only during WWI that German, as the second most common language in the US, died out apart from isolated groups like the Amish and Mennonites. Of course, it could be in Germany, I'm just saying don't rule out the possibility that it could be in the US just because the signs are in German.

Anton Bachmann must be the name of the shop owner. So I would start by looking for him, perhaps in directory records (look in both the place where the immigrant relatives settled in the US and where they came from in Germany). I'm guessing he is the one standing in front of the store holding hands with, presumably, his daughter - with his wife in the other doorway holding the hand of their other daughter.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:35 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Is there anything written on the back of it? I would not assume it's in Germany unless specifically stated on the photo - there were parts of the US in which German speakers and business signs could still be found in the late 19th/early 20th century. It was really only during WWI that German, as the second most common language in the US, died out apart from isolated groups like the Amish and Mennonites. Of course, it could be in Germany, I'm just saying don't rule out the possibility that it could be in the US just because the signs are in German.

Anton Bachmann must be the name of the shop owner. So I would start by looking for him, perhaps in directory records (look in both the place where the immigrant relatives settled in the US and where they came from in Germany). I'm guessing he is the one standing in front of the store holding hands with, presumably, his daughter - with his wife in the other doorway holding the hand of their other daughter.
The picture does not have any writing on it - it was with other papers and photos of the family that arrived in N.Y in 1865 and settled in PA by 1867. In those items it was mentioned that there were 'relatives in Germany' - My ancestor was Christian Bachmann and we believe this to be his brother, Christian's first son was named Anton, I am guessing after his brother. Christian was born in Werdau, Saxony, so I am thinking this is where the shop is or was? My family was a short while in PA until they moved to Missouri 1869/70. I wouldn't know where to begin seaching for German records about this shop? I pretty sure in is not in Howell County Mo. at his time. Can't remmember if I tried to search for Anton or not - will do.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:05 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Find Anton and you'll probably find his shop. ACOM have directory records for Saxony, but they are in German: Saxony Genealogy & Saxony Family History Resources - Ancestry.com

Old 01-14-2013, 05:11 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Find Anton and you'll probably find his shop. ACOM have directory records for Saxony, but they are in German: Saxony Genealogy & Saxony Family History Resources - Ancestry.com
Thanks! I'll see what I can make of the German records - I don't read German.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:00 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,559,399 times
Has anyone found ancestry.com to be very informative?

Old 01-26-2013, 08:37 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
I have a picture of a Cigar and Tabacco shop in this area that I would like more details on if possible. The name on front of the shop is Anton Bachmann Cigarrenschaft. (Cigarrengeschaeft - Cigar Store)

This person is a relative but I have no idea who it might be. There is another sign that I can partially read - it says Taba.. Cirgarren Cigarre... Schnuf und Kautahak Hand...von A. Bachmann.

Tabak......................................Tobacco
Cigarren..................................Cigars
Cigarillen.................................Cigarillos
Schnupf...................................Snuff
und.........................................and
Kautabak.................................chewing tobacco
Hand????.................................hand....
von..........................................by
A. Bachmann

Their relatives moved to America in 1865.

It is a part of a 2-3 story building with two doors and a widow in the middle. It has three windows upstairs with two little windows above. The street is cobblestone and has a slight gradient.

Anybody with any historical sense know anything about this place and its owners?

Much appreciated.

Tough to identify a location from only that one photo. Inserted the words above except one which I couldn't fully make out, including the translation. Cobblestones were standard in many towns and cities - even Berlin had cobblestone streets (which makes for a less than even road).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy