Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 08:36 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,529,823 times

Advertisements

This might be confusing but I'll be as clear as I can be.

I have power of attorney for a friend who went to prison for a long time. When his wife filed for divorce he demanded a DNA test to make sure he was the father of the child. It turned out 99.99% that he was. I have a copy of that test.

On another front, a lady who was adopted took a test with her dad and found out he wasn't really her dad. The dad told her it must be my friend who he always thought the mom was cheating with 30 years ago.

She really wants to know who her dad is and I think she needs to know to. She found my friend in prison through the internet and he gave her my address to help her. Is there somehow to compare the results of the test she took with the results of the one my friend took instead of paying for new tests? The results I have also have the results of his child, which would also be her brother if my friend is the father.

Any suggestions to help me help this lady out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 10:54 PM

37,096 posts, read 41,226,282 times
When you say "results", what do you mean?

If the two tests were done by the same lab, they may be comparable. If they were done by different labs, it may be more difficult.

Your best bet would be to contact the lab(s) that did the tests.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:31 PM

By results I mean a piece of paper with a bunch of numbers on it! LOL

Yeah, both were done by different companies/labs.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:33 PM

Do you have a way to post the reports with the names and any identifying information removed?

Old 11-15-2012, 12:32 AM

No.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:38 AM

Since the test for your fiend was to confirm paternity of a male child, all of the testing may have been done for genes on the Y chromosome. Therefore, those results would not be useful for determining paternity of a female child.

Your test results probably have a list of markers and a set of results for both father and son. If the markers are DYS + three or four numbers, they are Y chromosome markers. The results are probably one or two digits. The putative daughter will not have any of those markers and the two tests cannot be compared.

Compare the markers on the two tests and let me know what you find.

I suspect that the test on your friend will need to be repeated by the company that did the test on the woman who thinks she may be his daughter. Perhaps there would be a discount since her results would not need to be redone to compare with his.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:31 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
If she's trying to get money from you, it's a scam.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:13 PM

Since the possible dad is incarcerated, I doubt that would get very far.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:12 AM

5,327 posts, read 6,012,751 times
In my state, court ordered paternity testing is restricted to certain labs and requires the testing of all of the parties involved, i.e., the mother, father and child. Thus, testing would not be limited to the genes on the Y chromosome. Because your friend was involved in a judicial paternity suit, it is highly probable that the mother was also tested. I see no reason not to compare the two results (assuming you redact the first mother's name and results) before deciding you need to obtain new testing.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
In my state, court ordered paternity testing is restricted to certain labs and requires the testing of all of the parties involved, i.e., the mother, father and child. Thus, testing would not be limited to the genes on the Y chromosome. Because your friend was involved in a judicial paternity suit, it is highly probable that the mother was also tested. I see no reason not to compare the two results (assuming you redact the first mother's name and results) before deciding you need to obtain new testing.
Still, not all labs test the same loci. If the lists of genes tested are different, you cannot compare them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy