Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2023, 07:58 AM

11,001 posts, read 6,860,952 times

Advertisements

There are some interesting documentaries on YouTube from 1945, 1952, and 1983 I believe, that use actual Native Americans. They are in black and white, not color. They're a tiny bit grainy but very interesting. Not that I agree with everything but they are still interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2023, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
The English language. I'm native American. My family reaches back to North America since the 1640s in Southern Virginia, from England. Am I native, sure. Am I indigenous to North America? No.
Clarification: you're not an indigenous Native American - that's what this thread refers to.

Old 06-15-2023, 08:04 AM

7,004 posts, read 11,298,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I was thinking about this ethnicity/cultural issue... let me ask you something: which race/culture/society is more interesting and has far more incredible depth and connection to the Earth?

Answer: Native Americans.

Whenever I watch a documentary or a movie that contrasts Native Americans and white people such as those soldiers that stole the lands and forced the natives from their homes, I get a sick feeling. I also think those white people look incredibly stupid and ridiculous compared to the natives. Always have felt that way. When I was a little kid and sitting in the living room others would root for the Cowboys I was always rooting for the Indians.

Growing up in California I was fortunate to study its history (4th grade state history). That's when, as a child, I first felt a deep inteest in and connection with natives.
My family has lived in the same corner of Appalachian Maryland since the 1770s. Everywhere I go, I know. I can sit in any spot here and sing the songs of my ancestors, the history of the places I see, the story of the mountains, and all the connections between myself and "the land" that go back to those earliest ancestors.

No, I am not a Native American or other first people. I am well aware there are others whose connections are deeper and their songs longer.......but don't discount somebody's connection to the Earth, especially the Earth right under their feet because of their skin color.

Old 06-15-2023, 08:07 AM

Do you think I do?! This thread is about indigenous Native Americans. But it's great that you do that. I do it as well.

Old 06-15-2023, 06:45 PM

7,004 posts, read 11,298,847 times
Quote:
Do you think I do?! This thread is about indigenous Native Americans. But it's great that you do that. I do it as well.
It's a rare thing is these times, and probably becoming more rare among younger people. But I have veered off topic enough, my apologies.

Old 06-15-2023, 06:59 PM

Oh I don't think you're off topic, these conversations do tend to drift a bit... we usually bring them back but thanks for your comments. I agree wholeheartedly that people need to sit with nature and commune with it!

Old 06-15-2023, 08:13 PM

8,168 posts, read 6,920,059 times
Quote:
No, but since early childhood I've resonated with and been interested in Native Americans. The California Botanical Garden (formerly Rancho Santa Ana Botanical Garden) had an entire replica of an authentic historical riparian Tongvan Village in place until a jackass new director (white) offended the two main tribal people who were responsible for the exhibit. They removed it. The director guy was fired. Part of the village was brought back at a later date, but not to its former glory. The initial exhibit was absolutely incredible. Children growing up in Southern California need to know how it once was, and adults too. Growing up, I never knew what the area was like in ancient times. California was paradise, not the concrete jungle it is today.

I'm not content being who I am and I reserve the right to feel that way. I've always been interested in other "peoples." And to tell the truth, I resonate with people of color far more than whites because they understand suffering far more than white people do, although I'm not discounting the suffering of white people. It's simply that IMO white people have not suffered the way people of color have, and do.

If you saw people as individuals instead of just packing them all into the same group based on skin color or ethnicity, you would see far more DEPTH in the people that you meet. You would understand that just because a person is black doesn't automatically mean that person is____Fill in the blank____ or if a person is white, it doesn't autmatically mean that person is ____Fill in the blank___. You would begin to see YOURSELF through the correct lens, (We are all just people, we are all individuals) and you would therefore stop feeling discontent.

A group of 10 black men is a DIVERSE group. Because they are all individuals with different life experiences and views and outlooks and opinions and thoughts and feelings.

Last edited by .sparrow.; 06-15-2023 at 08:21 PM..

Old 06-16-2023, 02:00 AM

^^This post is flat out denial of the Native American experience in the United States of America.

Old 06-16-2023, 06:05 AM

8,628 posts, read 9,132,236 times
Quote:
Clarification: you're not an indigenous Native American - that's what this thread refers to.
Native American......What I'm saying is I am native American but not indigenous. My family's roots reach back hundreds of years in the Americas. I'm not native to England. Just a play with language. If native was swapped out with indigenous instead, I agree, however native is used over and over again, even in the Thread's title.....just saying....

Old 06-16-2023, 06:38 AM

The thread is about indigenous native americans. Not sure why you felt the need to bring up all natives. Most people know the difference. They don't need it pointed out to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy