Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 10:25 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times

Advertisements

Many of mine died of TB back in the old cities in England. Now we have antibiotics except that they've been so overused when not needed that they are becoming ineffective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 03:16 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Many of mine died of TB back in the old cities in England. Now we have antibiotics except that they've been so overused when not needed that they are becoming ineffective.
I think I have at least one "consumption" death in my tree. Also two died of cholera during the 1848-1849 outbreak. And a couple small pox.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:24 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,382,198 times
And in east Pike County AR in the 19 teens & twenties typhoid was a biggie. Those who didn't die had medical problems the rest of their life.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:27 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
That's the scary thing. There is a growing list of drug resistant/untreatable infections. And when something like cipro which was the big bad anti-biotic is used for even minor things since so many others don't work we should start to think. Despite massive funding, no new ones have been found recently.

I read a lot of post apoc fiction, and the thing which offs more characters than anything else is infections. Sometimes they use methods that 'doctors' of old used like amputation when a wound infected so it perhaps might not kill the patient.

I think we're in a race with nature and nature is winning.

When you see trees with children with birth and no death dates, or a line, and that the mother died soon after you wonder. My son had to be pulled out with forcepts, since he had his dad's big head. I wonder if they had those back then? They certainly didn't have all the monitors and gismos and unless they drugged mom to unconsiouness, didn't have epidurals either.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:34 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
I took the ages of death of all the found ancestors and listed them once. It was interesting that a good many lived very long lives, even some of the women despite a lot of children. My great 5x greandfather lived til 91 in the 1800's. Then there is a drop off. Most of those who didn't live to what we consider modern 'norms' died by their fifties, many women before. It seems like you were built to fight off the disease and were generally in better health and lived longer or you didn't/weren't and died much earlier. Not much inbetween.

Remove the medical stuff around today and I wonder how the curve would run.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:15 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,382,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
That's the scary thing. There is a growing list of drug resistant/untreatable infections. And when something like cipro which was the big bad anti-biotic is used for even minor things since so many others don't work we should start to think. Despite massive funding, no new ones have been found recently.

I read a lot of post apoc fiction, and the thing which offs more characters than anything else is infections. Sometimes they use methods that 'doctors' of old used like amputation when a wound infected so it perhaps might not kill the patient.

When you see trees with children with birth and no death dates, or a line, and that the mother died soon after you wonder. My son had to be pulled out with forcepts, since he had his dad's big head. I wonder if they had those back then? They certainly didn't have all the monitors and gismos and unless they drugged mom to unconsiouness, didn't have epidurals either.
Cipro - Long story short. As you implied, when it first came out it was the "silver bullet", was given to me, I was allergic to it, and it almost killed me.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:51 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post

Obstetrical forceps have been around for a long time:

The Chamberlen family (1560

The story of the Chamberlens' "secret" device is fascinating.

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 12-07-2012 at 06:21 PM..

Old 12-07-2012, 05:57 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,804,405 times
I've come across a couple of old death certs in our family that listed cause of death as "old age."

Old 12-07-2012, 06:29 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times
With my tree it seems like pretty much everyone lived to a ripe old age until my great grandparents generation. Which would have been around WW1 and "Spanish" flu -- and that generation a few were long lived, but most died young, leaving their parents to raise the kids they had.

That's why I had that hole -- I knew my grandmother was raised by her grandmother, but her parents were a mystery for a long time.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:04 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
There seems to be some confusion here about what pneumonia is.

It is simply an infection of the lungs, and can be caused not only by ANY infectious agent---bacteria, viruses, fungi, etc., but also as a result of inhaling foods, fluids, toys, dirt, polluted air with small particles, dirty river water, or any liquid or solid object that irritates the lining of the lungs and makes the lungs more vulnerable to all the germs floating around us all the time. People with low immunity get pneumonias from these very germs without inhaling anything. Still another form is stasis pneumonia from lying motionless in a bed, which is common in nursing homes.

Pneumonia has never been eliminated from the major causes of death. It's in the top 10, usually around 5th or 6th.

The pneumonia vaccine, Pneumovax, protects for about 26 kinds of bacterial pneumonia, but has no preventative effect on viral pneumonias, which can be very deadly because they produce the high fevers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy