U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 02:48 PM

905 posts, read 1,445,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
I think just to be certain, I would get dna testing done from another company to compare results with. It seems odd that you both would have such huge departures from family histories.
For me, not so surprising. I had already via ANcestry and other sources noticed the constant of German heritage arising. All the Jewish immigrants were listing Hesse Darmstadt; Bavaria: Saxony etc and I knew I had the right people. Had I ever known the various family names, (Rosenblatt; Silverberg; Tuechnor; Adler; etc, I might have caught on to everything a lot sooner.)

When I researched everyone between NY and DC, they consistently had roots that connected to Germany, and never France. All the kids listed their father as being German and speaking German and newspaper articles seemed to refer to Mr. Bean in many stories which would be how it sounded to them. Believe me, Bean is so much easier to say than affecting a French accent. I frankly find it so funny to think I'm a Bean girl instead - particularly since one of the great aunts married a Bush and thus she is a Bean Bush.

I have factored in the issue of anti-German sentiment in the pre-Great War era as well as after that maybe when my mom was born(in the 20's) , the family decided to be French. What is odd is that the German heritage never was brought up and my grandmother's family names are unbelievably German as well but no one ever mentioned Feasels, Harschbargers, Preis, etc and so on....all rather Germanic. All my aunts went around speaking French phrases and now the offspring giggle as we wonder why we were reared by such Francophiles. We all had to take French as our language in school. And a number of us have French names/again rather funny.

For my spouse, that is a difficult one. I probably can't get him to spit again. I told him to get another cousin to get tested and see what comes up. Now I feel bad about my life size Native American mannequin. I put a turban on its head and dressed him with a Nehru jacket, and suggested we go with the British colonial motif but it's a hard sell. He was pretty sold on that Eno thing, even though Eno apparently means "people that no one likes". I thought he fit that description very well so I'm not sure - maybe he should get retested.

But I do so love genealogy. Whatever I am, I love it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 04:40 PM

30,545 posts, read 32,929,308 times
The absence of Native American DNA does not disprove NA ancestry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geE7zsehccY

Old 06-29-2016, 04:42 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,042,409 times
I have quite a few of my g x4 grandfathers books(he was a historian)he talked quite a bit about his ancestors in those but I have not traced it up much,that's the English line.
In my tribe (African) everyone knows who their ancestors are,ancestors are venerated and communicated with often.

Old 06-30-2016, 11:54 AM

11,023 posts, read 22,484,117 times
My father in law had little knowledge about his father's family because his parents were dead by age 10 and he was sent to an orphanage, only 1 younger brother went to the same orphanage. Estranged from 5 other siblings, his wife and he even took road trips to the Mormon genealogy center in Utah in the 1970s but only found 1 sibling.

With the power of the internet I have been able to find out what happened to all but one sibling. One fought in WW1 and died in NYC at age 27. Another was adopted by a nearby family. One was a maid in Indianapolis. Another moved to Detroit. What's interesting is we found the death certificates for both parents. The mom died of sepsis at age 42, the dad died of meningitis as a result of burns but insanity was listed as a secondary cause. His son died of early onset Alzheimer's and we're wondering if the same thing happened to his dad. When my f-i-l's dad was in the final stages he would start hysterically crying about a fire, now we know why.

Old 06-30-2016, 01:08 PM

9,620 posts, read 5,973,132 times
i had my mother tree back to 1420, it was hand written handed down generation. my brother threw it away when she died. there no replacing it.

Old 06-30-2016, 01:21 PM

16,222 posts, read 9,008,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The absence of Native American DNA does not disprove NA ancestry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geE7zsehccY

Interesting, someone else told me this.

My mom's side of the family they claim to have NA ancestry but via traditional research in genealogy I have never found any (which has made my older relatives upset at me for "disproving" their NA ancestry. They thought that my 3rd great grandmother - my oldest living relatives great grandmother who lived with her, was half NA. I found that she was listed as both black and mullatto on census records from 1860 forward and that her mom was listed as "mullatto" but her father was listed as black only. I told them the mullatto could mean some sort of mixture with NA but not necessarily). Maybe I'll see if my great aunt wants to test for DNA. She usually is paranoid about these things (like me, which is why I've never done it) but now that she is older she may want to do it. I think I'll ask her as I think her doing it would be closer to our relatives on that side anyway than me. She is my maternal grandmother's sister.

Oddly enough I've found some actual research material that showed a 7th great grandparent was a native American and who she was "owned" by. She married a mullatto man (white mother/black father) and had a string of children in the 1700s who had court records where they had to sue for their freedom after their master attempted to make them servants for life. They won based in part because their mother was a native and their father was born of a white woman. Of course this was all speculative testimony IMO as there is no guarantee that the mother of the children were native but that is what the record says from the mid 1700s. Unfortunately my great grandmother passed a few years ago and she was the last person left in her generation in her family and due to even her being so far removed (these would have been her 5th great grandparents) I'm not even sure if any NA dna would show up either.

Old 01-25-2017, 11:20 PM

10 posts, read 5,257 times
Yes it is common. Besides my genealogy experiences, my husband gave the wrong information on his mom's death certificate. She had passed away moments before and he was upset, he knew the information, but he gave her step mother's info.
I just started a tree for my daughter's boyfriends family, he knew next to nothing. Just from having conversations with his parents my daughter knew enough for me to get back 4 generations on all but one grandparent in a couple hours.
Not everyone listens and those that do may still provide incorrect info. I imagine the census taker coming to a door asking "how old is your mom"...answer "30"...yep mom's 50, but does the son really know?
I also have dates where ancestors gave their wedding anniversary day and month with their birth year for their birth date and other similar mistakes, sometimes when people are asked questions they get mixed up.
So many reasons for it to be wrong, that's why I'm so happy when it is 100% correct. One of my great grandmother's, born in France, has the exact same birth date on every single document from birth to death. I love her!

Old 01-26-2017, 02:09 AM

26,177 posts, read 34,710,340 times
One of my aunts didn't know her own name.

She was an adult with half grown children when she needed a passport and had to get a copy of her birth certificate. That was when she discovered that her name was not the name she had been called all of her life.

She had her name legally changed to the name she had always thought (wrongly) was hers.

Old 02-21-2017, 05:29 AM

4,434 posts, read 5,873,712 times
My grandma tried to talk to me when i was a teen about the family tree. My response? Theyre dead; i dont care.

Old 02-21-2017, 03:35 PM

1,476 posts, read 964,756 times
I have observed that families in small villages some 70 or more years ago were not lineal, at least in northern and northeast Spain.

First: Mother and father died and childred were adopted by kindred. Father died and mother married some blood cousin, father died, eloped, got lost and children were sent away to family or to church. Towns were wiped by plagues, the latest one influenza in the 20. Tuberculosis was always mortal...so families were still families, but parents did not last more in many cases. Maids were raped as customary in some areas, just out of survival.

So keeping lineage is difficult...and there was no DNA, so in some little towns all children looked like the priest.

People that went to America are more volatile, as they changed age, condition, marital status, they became different persons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy