U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 07:03 AM

7,214 posts, read 8,480,625 times

Advertisements

I thought some might find this interesting. I also know some like other tests better, but I had gotten my results through ancestry.com a while ago, so I thought it would be fun for my wife to get them so we could compare. Her results:

Eastern European: 40%
British Isles: 27%
Scandinavian: 12%
Central European: 12%
Finnish/Volga-Ural: 6%
Unknown: 3%

OK, this is surprising. I had expected her to have mainly Scandinaivian and Central European (German) ancestry. All of her close ancestors on her father's side were from Germany, and her grandfather was born there. On her mother's side, her great grandfathers came from Sweden and Austria. I can' figure out why the Eastern European and British Isles (no idea where that comes from) percentages would be so high.

So I'm not sure what to make of this at this point. No one in her family knows of any Eastern European ancestry, so I'm not sure why that would be so high either. Thoughts?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 08:42 AM

1,181 posts, read 2,807,773 times
It probably says more about the migration patterns of early European peoples than which modern areas the results indicate.

And is the test as accurate (or inaccurate) as the DNA test/s to find out your mixed breed dog's ancestry?

Old 01-18-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelaki View Post
It probably says more about the migration patterns of early European peoples than which modern areas the results indicate.

And is the test as accurate (or inaccurate) as the DNA test/s to find out your mixed breed dog's ancestry?
I agree with the first part of your post. Not sure what you mean by the second.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:37 PM

8 posts, read 26,992 times
AncestryDNA's "ethnicity" predictions are considered less than accurate by the genetic genealogy community. Their cousin matching software is excellent, but the Genetic Ethnicity tool leaves something to be desired. I wrote a post on my blog comparing the four companies (inc. AncestryDNA) offering this type of feature here: Your Genetic Genealogist: Comparing Admixture Test Results Across Companies (otherwise known as "ethnic" breakdowns): FTDNA, AncestryDNA, 23andMe and Geno 2.0 - My Review

I receive emails (that read like your message here) from confused people questioning AncestryDNA's GE results every day. Some have even reached the conclusion that they must be adopted!

In time it will undoubtedly improve, but for now I recommend taking it with a big a BIG grain of salt.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:05 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeCeMoore View Post
AncestryDNA's "ethnicity" predictions are considered less than accurate by the genetic genealogy community. Their cousin matching software is excellent, but the Genetic Ethnicity tool leaves something to be desired. I wrote a post on my blog comparing the four companies (inc. AncestryDNA) offering this type of feature here: Your Genetic Genealogist: Comparing Admixture Test Results Across Companies (otherwise known as "ethnic" breakdowns): FTDNA, AncestryDNA, 23andMe and Geno 2.0 - My Review

I receive emails (that read like your message here) from confused people questioning AncestryDNA's GE results every day. Some have even reached the conclusion that they must be adopted!

In time it will undoubtedly improve, but for now I recommend taking it with a big a BIG grain of salt.
Hello CeCe! Good to see you on here. Speaking of Ancestry.com do you know if they are going to come-out with a 2013 Family Tree Maker? I am itching to purchase the new sync-feature started in 2012 but wanted to know if they might come out with a new version - possibly with some genetic features?

Old 01-27-2013, 03:59 PM

CeCe, thanks for the comments. I have heard of 23andme from other posts here. Maybe I'll try that test in a while. I appreciated your review.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:37 AM

5,709 posts, read 3,138,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
I thought some might find this interesting. I also know some like other tests better, but I had gotten my results through ancestry.com a while ago, so I thought it would be fun for my wife to get them so we could compare. Her results:

Eastern European: 40%
British Isles: 27%
Scandinavian: 12%
Central European: 12%
Finnish/Volga-Ural: 6%
Unknown: 3%

OK, this is surprising. I had expected her to have mainly Scandinaivian and Central European (German) ancestry. All of her close ancestors on her father's side were from Germany, and her grandfather was born there. On her mother's side, her great grandfathers came from Sweden and Austria. I can' figure out why the Eastern European and British Isles (no idea where that comes from) percentages would be so high.

So I'm not sure what to make of this at this point. No one in her family knows of any Eastern European ancestry, so I'm not sure why that would be so high either. Thoughts?
The whole austrio-hungarian empire was all mixed up. My great grandparents were czechs but they lived in croatia and spoke croation. Things like that were common place then because borders were less hard and fast as they are now.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
Hello CeCe! Good to see you on here. Speaking of Ancestry.com do you know if they are going to come-out with a 2013 Family Tree Maker? I am itching to purchase the new sync-feature started in 2012 but wanted to know if they might come out with a new version - possibly with some genetic features?
Thanks, Shiloh1! I'm sorry, but I don't know. That is a very good idea though!

Old 01-30-2013, 06:12 AM

4,830 posts, read 7,823,478 times
How much do tests like these cost and where can you get them from?

Old 02-02-2013, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
How much do tests like these cost and where can you get them from?
23andMe.com for $99 is the best value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy