Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 02:22 PM

16 posts, read 16,105 times

Advertisements

I am trying to find my biological father. His name is Steven (Stephen) Charles Allen. You were possibly born in 1952. I was told you grew up in Southern California, have a mom that goes by Bobbi and a dad and sister that may live in Maryland or Maine.
My mother's name is Karen and that you and my mom ran off together when she was 17 years old. And also that you came to see me once when I was about 1 years old. My mom lived in Lakewood in 1974.

If any of this rings a bell...please contact me. It would be nice to meet you.
But i do have some information that i will be verifying with you to make sure you are him.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 06:41 PM
bjh

60,051 posts, read 30,356,423 times
You are more likely to find help searching out living relatives in the people search forum:

//www.city-data.com/forum/people-search/

Old 12-01-2012, 08:28 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,066,661 times
And include your dad's name up front, in the title of your message thread to save a zillion readers from wasting time clicking on your thread in vain.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:16 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,170,138 times
If he was interested in you, he would have kept up with you. Since he didn't, there is a good chance that he would prefer that you stay out of his life.

Do you really think it's such a great idea to try to find him ?

I understand your wanting to know him. My father was killed when I was only 4 months old. I would have loved to have known him. But there is also the chance that I would not have liked him or that he didn't measure up to what I thought a father should be.

Perhaps wondering about your father would better than finding out for sure.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:45 AM

393 posts, read 1,496,345 times
It's better to find out for sure than to wonder about it forever. If I hadn't searched for my birthparents who gave me up for adoption when I was born, I would never have the wonderful and loving relationships that I have with my birthfamilies today. A few of my siblings aren't interested in getting to know me, and that's okay, but my birthparents were thrilled when I found them. Go for it. No matter what you find, you won't lose what you already have.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:48 AM
bjh

You can't lose what you don't have. But you could lose an ideal image that may have formed in your mind.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:42 PM

738 posts, read 998,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TribalCat View Post
It's better to find out for sure than to wonder about it forever...
Couldn't agree more.

Padgett2: Sometimes there are circumstances that prevent contact from happening. And as mature adults, we must certainly prepare ourselves for the possibility that we will find someone other than who we have imagined.

But if we really want to know more about who we are, then we must be willing to look the unknown in the face. Discounting one of your birth parents because you don't know them, or may not like what you find is like discounting one half of yourself. I applaud the OP's courage.

RVcook

Old 12-02-2012, 02:14 PM

393 posts, read 1,496,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
You can't lose what you don't have. But you could lose an ideal image that may have formed in your mind.
An ideal image isn't real. Eventually you have to realize that birthparents, all parents, are just human with human flaws, and accept them for that. You're telling her to hold onto an image instead of taking a chance and perhaps finding a reality she can really hold on to. That's cowardice, and it would be a shame. No matter what you find at the end, it's the truth, and that's better than believing in a lie.

I think she's brave for wanting to wanting to find him, and I wish her luck.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:22 PM
bjh

"An ideal image isn't real."

That's the point!

Old 12-06-2012, 02:29 PM

16 posts, read 16,105 times
Default An ideal image isn't real

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
"An ideal image isn't real."

That's the point!

I do not have an image of him, I don't even remember meeting him, I was only 1 years old.
I was told that he came to see me by my mother. But my grandfather told him to never come back.

So really you don't have a point because you don't know the whole of it. Sometimes it's better to find out before speaking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy