Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 02:58 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times

Advertisements

Last but not least, my mother very young with her doll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 04:01 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times

This was my g-ma in about 1920. Those little goat carts must have been popular.

This one is of her daughter, my aunt, who was killed at 8 while getting off a school bus so I will never know who her little friend is but I love this picture. This was deep south in the early 40's and that makes it even more endearing--they were inseparable.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:53 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
Here's one of my favorite uncles at age 4. The photo was take in 1902 in the Pineywoods of east Texas. He once gave me a silver dollar for planting a pin oak tree that grew to a significant size. I was 14 when he died in his mid sixties and I pallbeared his coffin. He was a large man but I recall it was an honor.

I don't recognize the old slab pine barn in the pic, so like the horse, it was probably gone by the time I came around. I have another photo of this uncle as a grown man and, even in that pic, he was on a horse.

http://imageshack.us/a/img14/7508/texasuncleage4.jpg

Last edited by High_Plains_Retired; 04-30-2013 at 05:45 PM..

Old 04-30-2013, 05:11 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,845,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

Last but not least, my mother very young with her doll.
The "Mohawk" haircut is interesting for that era (and on a girl, no less), or is there some other factor I'm not considering?...

Old 04-30-2013, 07:27 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
The "Mohawk" haircut is interesting for that era (and on a girl, no less), or is there some other factor I'm not considering?...
Now that you mention it, I wonder too. She must have been only about 2 yrs old in that picture. Could be a story behind it, but there is no one left to tell it. Ew, could have been head lice? Or bubblegum in hair? Or older sisters playing hairdresser? Or it was the style?

Old 04-30-2013, 08:48 PM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
We went through a hard time with old family pictures in the last year. My mother died in March 2012, my dad went to assisted living voluntarily and he gave my wife and I the house. That includes just about all the furniture plus ALL the pictures my mother took and stuck in boxes in closets, the basement, everywhere! We've been going through them from time to time since she died and I hope none of you have the problem we are having. There are a lot of pictures that have no names on the back! We have no idea who the people are! We ask my dad and he's helped on a few but there are a lot we have no idea. Always put names on the back.

I DO have a humorous story to tell since this is photos with animals. One year I opened one of my Christmas present and there was an "autographed" picture of our dog who had died of cancer a few months earlier. My dad found a picture Mama had taken of Super (his name, thanks to my dad, was Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!), stuck his paw to a rubber stamp pad, then pushed the paw on the bottom right hand corner of the picture. I still have that framed picture.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:18 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Now that you mention it, I wonder too. She must have been only about 2 yrs old in that picture. Could be a story behind it, but there is no one left to tell it. Ew, could have been head lice? Or bubblegum in hair? Or older sisters playing hairdresser? Or it was the style?
Or prickly heat. When my mom was around that age, she got prickly heat very badly on her scalp one summer and so her mother shaved her head. I don't know why they would leave a mohawk though, my mom got a full shave.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:38 AM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
Quote:
Only other reason I can think of is ringworm. But again, why leave the strip?

Old 05-01-2013, 10:45 AM

5,299 posts, read 4,845,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Or prickly heat. When my mom was around that age, she got prickly heat very badly on her scalp one summer and so her mother shaved her head. I don't know why they would leave a mohawk though, my mom got a full shave.
Yeah, head lice wouldn't explain some hair left either. It could be something like a scratch (and the hair is evened-out) or some other slight injury that hair would interfere with. Being for fashion or trying to denote a particular ethnic background would seem so odd for that era, and even more so for a young girl.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:11 PM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
I was looking for any basis for the fashion theory and found this: UCLA Library | Digital Collections
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy