Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 08:38 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,890,741 times

Advertisements

When the experts on antiques related TV shows evaluate old paintings and photos, they always seem to say that people love old pictures of animals and small children.

Have you found great old photographs in your family history research? Let's keep "old" to mean the first half of the 20th century at the lastest. Meaning, no pictures of you, your plaid bell bottoms and your pet rock in 1976.

Please scan and post your pictures that include animals (pets, farm animals) or little children.

I posted this in another thread. It's my Grandmom's two older brothers (my great uncles Merrill and Everett) in 1910 with their pet goat. They used to ride around town in their cart pulled by the goat. They evidently didn't yet practice the "smile and say cheese" thing when their picture was being taken, as they both look a little unhappy to be posing.

Please share yours!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 08:48 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,578,336 times
I have a picture of my grandmother standing at the screen door holding a cat. She was an adult, and this was the 1930s. She loved cats all her life, and I love this photo!

At a flea market, I bought old b/w photos of a grandfather and grandchildren proudly displaying their roosters on chairs outside -- you can tell that it's 2 different years. I always wondered about the people in the photos.

If I can figure out where they are, I'll post them here. LOVE the goat picture and your great-uncle's expression!! That's even better than a smile.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:22 AM

2,457 posts, read 7,378,672 times
Thanks TracySam. If I'd looked closer I would have seen this Thread before I posted the request on the other Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 12:24 PM

ca. 1932, Shawmut, East Pike County AR. George's Dad was a local cowboy and Buck was his well known cow pony.
Attached Thumbnails
Old Family Photos with animals or small children?-buck-george-shawmut.jpg  

Old 03-08-2013, 12:42 PM

10,210 posts, read 17,864,610 times
I have dozens but they're not currently hosted anywhere that I can share them and uploading them here is too laborous - I'll get them up somewhere and share them later!

Old 03-08-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
ca. 1932, Shawmut, East Pike County AR. George's Dad was a local cowboy and Buck was his well known cow pony.
Awesome!

Old 03-08-2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I have dozens but they're not currently hosted anywhere that I can share them and uploading them here is too laborous - I'll get them up somewhere and share them later!
I found it easiest to put them on my Facebook account or on Ancestry, then copy & paste them over here. I'm sure there are other ways, but that's been the easiest way for me to get pics onto City Data (after lots of trial & error). I think I also put some into a City-Data photo album (check your profile) and it wasn't terribly difficult.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:02 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,846,359 times
Paternal Grandmother and her cousin (circa 1923)

There are two dogs held in their arms, and chickens in the background...

Old 03-08-2013, 06:53 PM

TracySam, I'm repeating myself, but this was such a wonderful idea. Thanks

Old 03-09-2013, 04:55 AM

10,210 posts, read 17,864,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I found it easiest to put them on my Facebook account or on Ancestry, then copy & paste them over here. I'm sure there are other ways, but that's been the easiest way for me to get pics onto City Data (after lots of trial & error). I think I also put some into a City-Data photo album (check your profile) and it wasn't terribly difficult.
They are on Ancestry.com but perhaps because my tree is private, it doesn't allow me to copy and paste the url - it shows up as a broken image link. I can use my Google account instead, it's just that some of them I have not even processed yet - I have an old album that my great grandmother put together and the pics are glued to the pages so I had to scan each page with 4-5 pics on it which means manually cropping each photo down. Just haven't gotten around to doing it yet.

Here's a few to start, nothing unusual like a goat or pig, just horses, dogs, and cats.

My 2nd great grand uncle (white man far left) with his family, black servants, and his horse in Kentucky - not sure exactly when it was taken but he lived 1848 - 1918:

My great grandmother (far right) with her dog, unknown name, about 1910:

My great grandfather (different branch) with his third wife and his dog - he was actually president of the Berks County (PA) Dog Training Club, taken in the 1950s or 60s, I think:

My first cousin, 3 times removed and her cat, taken around 1900:

Lots with small children as well, though no pets:

Take 1886 in Wisconsin:

Taken around 1888 (the father is the brother of the guy in the first pic with the horse):

My great grandmother (same as the one with the dog from around 1910) as a small child, probably taken around 1890:

An even younger one of the same great grandmother, probably taken 1888:

How about cars? I have lots of them too:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy