Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 09:19 AM

2 posts, read 2,490 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

I’m interested in history and have done a lot of research on Irish Americans so this is where my idea has come from. I'm also starting a photography course.

I’d like to help Irish Americans find information on where their ancestors came from. As I’m Irish living in Ireland, I could visit the area and take photos of the parish and the family home if the address is known. I’d also get booklets and information on the parish, local church, local Irish sports clubs (football and hurling) and information about the history of the area. I could then create a personalized album and send by post and email.

Do you think many people would be interested in this? It would be a business venture as I’d have to charge (reasonably) for my time.

I could work with a Genealogist if more information about tracing lineages and history is required.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 02:50 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,654,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroughIrishEyes View Post
Hi all!

I’m interested in history and have done a lot of research on Irish Americans so this is where my idea has come from. I'm also starting a photography course.

I’d like to help Irish Americans find information on where their ancestors came from. As I’m Irish living in Ireland, I could visit the area and take photos of the parish and the family home if the address is known. I’d also get booklets and information on the parish, local church, local Irish sports clubs (football and hurling) and information about the history of the area. I could then create a personalized album and send by post and email.

Do you think many people would be interested in this? It would be a business venture as I’d have to charge (reasonably) for my time.

I could work with a Genealogist if more information about tracing lineages and history is required.

Sounds interesting, I do have some Irish ancestors that were located in Dunnyhora,Mullaghbrack,Armagh Co... Born somewhere around 1688

Old 03-19-2013, 08:05 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,377,582 times
Hey Irish, sounds like a wonderful idea and I hope it turns into a successful business for you . You would have to swim over to Wales to help me .

Old 03-20-2013, 04:52 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
There used to be a site called Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness - it went down but there are alternatives you can join on Facebook and there's a Wiki where you can offer to help people out:

//www.facebook.com/groups/raogkinternational/
//www.facebook.com/groups/33868082803/
Find a WorldWide Volunteer - Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness Wiki

Old 03-20-2013, 06:00 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
Im off at the weekend to Westport on the Mayo coast and would be glad to get photos of towns , graveyards or whatever for anyone interested.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:09 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,490,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroughIrishEyes View Post
Hi all!

Certainly, there people who would want some assistance. There currently are many people doing similar things. For a fee. My ancestral home county of Longford has one or two people, and I believe someone at the local library in Longford does similar (and the Library receives a fee). Not everyone can get to Ireland, or knows where to start the search. The challenge for you, though, is making this a profitable business. I don't think that's going to happen. But I do wish you all the best.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:19 AM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
One thing you might do is start taking some general photos of churchs or towns near where you live. You would need examples any way. Not sure how you would connect with the people who might want these pictures. Maybe see previous post about Longford, ask someone there what they're doing.

As far as gravesites are concerned, findagrave.com has volunteers who do this sort of thing for free.
Find A Grave - Millions of Cemetery Records

Old 05-06-2013, 07:14 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,845,833 times
I have a single Irish line - with the unhelpful surname of "Irish" by the time it is recorded in the United States...

Old 05-07-2013, 08:09 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
^
That is a valid surname. There are families in England with the surname English.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:14 PM

415 posts, read 764,177 times
I'm first Gen Irish American, both my parents came from county Kerry when they were around 20..I have been their 9 times as a child.. but I don't need anything looked up.. We have as much family on that side of the pond as we do here in the States..

Great Idea though, good luck, also where in Ireland do you Hail from ??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy