Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 04:46 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,621,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Can I borrow one of your castles for the weekend, Cuzin Elly?
Just make sure to clean the place up afterwards as Alfred (the head butler) can become easily irked if you get my drift .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 12:49 AM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
I just found out about this site today. A friend told me about it. He said he's 3.3% Neanderthal, the rest Euro.

Don't know if that tidbit came from Ancestry or 23.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:04 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times
^ Probably from 23andMe.

Btw Neanderthals lived in Europe.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:12 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,605,159 times
My brother had his done via the National Geographic's "Genographic Project", which seems to look more broadly at pre-historic and historic genetic region rather than modern countries.

His results were: Our DNA is 42% Mediterranean, 40% Northern European, 16% Central Asian, 1.2% Neanderthal and 1.9% Denisovian. The last two, as you know, are not modern human. I thought the Central Asian thing was fascinating until I read the information on their website, which explains that most people of European descent have ancestors who emigrated from Central Asia hundreds (thousands?) of years ago, so in their results even people of specifically British descent have some percentage of Central Asian DNA.

Through genealogical research, I know that we are mostly French on both sides, with some English, Scottish, Irish, German, Swiss, and a little Spanish.

At question is whether or not we have Native American ancestry - supposedly we do, although I can't track them with any degree of certainty using the historical record. The "Genographic Project" shows Native American DNA as "East Asian", as the ancestors of Native Americans came to North America from East Asia 15,000 - 10,000 years ago. So since no such DNA showed up in my Brother's results he doesn't think we have any Native American ancestors.

But my brother-in-law, a microbiologist, explained to me that my brother's results would be different from my results. I still don't understand exactly why - something to do with each individual's DNA being unique. But anyway, I've sent some spit to 23andme, and we'll see what they have to say!

Old 06-12-2013, 07:12 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
Men carry their father's DNA. Women don't.

In terms of tribal lore, most Native American tribes today speak of an honored ancestor who followed the track of the Bison (Wild Ox) across the Beringa Bridge from easternmost point of the Asian continent into North America. Today the largest herd of Bison in the world is in Poland. There is carbon dated proof of Native Americans in Oregon in 11,000 and in VA in 10,000 BCE. There is further evidence of the Native American in the Midwest 200 years BCE.

Neanderthal man of the Paleolithic Age was a robust, upright, human who walked with a biped gate, and inhabited Western Asia and Eastern Europe more than 33,000 years ago. I read where Neanderthal bones do not carry Neanderthal DNA, but the DNA of modern man who handled the bones.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:02 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,817,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post

In terms of tribal lore, most Native American tribes today speak of an honored ancestor who followed the track of the Bison (Wild Ox) across the Beringa Bridge from easternmost point of the Asian continent into North America. Today the largest herd of Bison in the world is in Poland. There is carbon dated proof of Native Americans in Oregon in 11,000 and in VA in 10,000 BCE. There is further evidence of the Native American in the Midwest 200 years BCE.

Neanderthal man of the Paleolithic Age was a robust, upright, human who walked with a biped gate, and inhabited Western Asia and Eastern Europe more than 33,000 years ago. I read where Neanderthal bones do not carry Neanderthal DNA, but the DNA of modern man who handled the bones.
Women get an X chromosome from their father, and an X from their mother. If they only got DNA from their mothers, then that would mean that women could reproduce on their own without a man.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:21 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
By the same token men should too. Why is it men don't test for mothers and women don't test for fathers? Our male line is a mess.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:34 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
This is not true, woman get an X chromosome and autosomal DNA from their father. They do not get any Y or mtDNA from them.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:03 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,605,159 times
I need to go back to school. If we ever learned any of this DNA stuff when I was a kid I sure wasn't paying attention! I still don't understand exactly. So my sister's DNA should be the same as mine, but not my brother's? And because everyone has unique DNA does that mean that the % of any particular ancestry would be different even between my sister and myself?

Yeah, I really need to do some studying!

Old 06-12-2013, 01:56 PM

37,103 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post
Women get an X chromosome from their father, and an X from their mother. If they only got DNA from their mothers, then that would mean that women could reproduce on their own without a man.
Quote:
By the same token men should too. Why is it men don't test for mothers and women don't test for fathers? Our male line is a mess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
This is not true, woman get an X chromosome and autosomal DNA from their father. They do not get any Y or mtDNA from them.
Men inherit their Y chromosome from their fathers. The Y has no matching chromosome with which to exchange information, so it stays pretty much the same from generation to generation. This can be used to trace the male line of a surname in cultures in which that name is passed from father to son.

Everyone gets mitchondrial DNA from his (or her) mother. For genealogy purposes, this is not very useful, because women's surnames traditionally change with each generation. That makes it difficult to find women to compare to.

The X chromosomes come from the mother only for a male and one from mom and one from dad for a female.

All the other chromosomes, known as autosomes, are inherited one from each parent. Men and women do get DNA from both parents.

This why the new genetic tests can find relatives for men and women.

Extracting DNA from Neanderthal remains is difficult and the researchers doing it are aware of the potential for contamination:

Neanderthal genomics and the evolution of modern humans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy