Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 04:22 PM

8 posts, read 14,194 times

Advertisements

Well, my mom has blue eyes and my dad has brown eyes (hes Armenian) and as a result, I have light/medium brown eyes. If the girl I have kids with has blue has as well as BOTH of her parents, what are the chances of having blue eyes offspring? we are both white.

thanks and happy summer fellas

PS
Will the fact that my mom has blue eyes boost the chances?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 05:04 PM

560 posts, read 1,287,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by romaman View Post
Well, my mom has blue eyes and my dad has brown eyes (hes Armenian) and as a result, I have light/medium brown eyes. If the girl I have kids with has blue has as well as BOTH of her parents, what are the chances of having blue eyes offspring? we are both white.

PS

50/50 chances

You = Bb
She = bb

Offspring = Bb or bb

Brown is dominant, so whenever there is a large B the eyes are brown.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:57 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,353,843 times
You never know when a dormant gene will pop up .

Old 06-22-2013, 08:16 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,516,004 times
Quote:

PS
50/50 brown/blue per punnett square

Old 06-22-2013, 10:00 PM

36,992 posts, read 41,017,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky★ View Post
50/50 chances

You = Bb
She = bb

Offspring = Bb or bb

Brown is dominant, so whenever there is a large B the eyes are brown.
Not always ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
You never know when a dormant gene will pop up .
... yes ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
50/50 brown/blue per punnett square
.. and more than one gene is involved.

Understanding Genetics

A calculator for eye color:

What Color Eyes will your Children Have? | Understanding Genetics

Old 06-22-2013, 10:59 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,824,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I just checked this link out of curiosity.

ME: Brown eyes, both parents and all siblings are brown-eyed. (My mother is Japanese. Dad is white.)
DH: Blue eyes, both parents and all siblings except one are blue-eyed. That one sibling has green eyes.

Our children's "odds" according to the link are: 13.6% Blue, 13.6% Green, 72.7% brown.

Real life results so far: Two children with grayish blue eyes. Gray eyes run in my father's family.

So, OP... In response to your question, who knows?

Old 06-23-2013, 01:17 AM

23,911 posts, read 32,232,721 times
Quote:

PS
50/50 as per the square. From newer findings some brown is nore dominant and some blue is more dominant. It could also be 25% blue 75 % brown.

It the Armenian strain has no blue, the brown can be stronger. If the blue has no brown ansestors, it makes it a stronger blue.

Brown eyes are lovely also.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:53 AM

36,992 posts, read 41,017,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
50/50 as per the square. From newer findings some brown is nore dominant and some blue is more dominant. It could also be 25% blue 75 % brown.

It the Armenian strain has no blue, the brown can be stronger. If the blue has no brown ansestors, it makes it a stronger blue.

Brown eyes are lovely also.
It's more complicated than that. There are at least two genes that code for eye color, and possibly some unidentified ones that can modify it. The two by two Punnett square does not apply. At minimum it looks like this:

eye color punnett square human - Bing Images

And that does not account for other color variations, such as hazel, implying that there might be a hazel gene or genes that modify those for brown and blue.

Understanding Genetics

My mother had hazel eyes, my hubby, my son, and I have blue, son's wife and both her parents have brown, and their daughter's eyes are probably going to be hazel.

You can even go to 23AndMe and be tested for one of the eye color genes:

https://www.23andme.com/health/Eye-Color/

https://www.23andme.com/health/Eye-Color/timeline/

https://www.23andme.com/health/Eye-Color/howitworks/

Old 06-23-2013, 11:31 AM

726 posts, read 1,224,941 times
I am the only one in my family that doesn't have brown eyes. They were blue until around 9, turned green after that, true green says my eye doctor.

Old 06-23-2013, 12:43 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,398,067 times
I know a family where the father is extremely black w/dk brown eyes. The mother is very white with blue eyes. Their older daughter is petite and attractive, brown skinned w/blue eyes and the younger sister is much larger, darker brown w/dark brown eyes. It is a perfect example showing the unfairness of life, although, perhaps the younger girl will have better looks later on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy