Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 03:26 AM

145 posts, read 358,597 times

Advertisements

My mom's uncle has a daughter. What is she to me? 2nd or 3rd cousin?

My dad has a cousin and he has a daughter. 2nd or 3rd cousin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 03:40 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,126,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokconl View Post

1. your Mom's uncle's daughter would be your Mom's first cousin and your 2nd cousin.

2. If your Dad's cousin is his first cousin, he would be your 2nd cousin and his daughter would be your 3rd cousin (she'd be your dad's 2nd cousin).

Old 06-23-2013, 07:10 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,525,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokconl View Post

I believe that is 1st cousin once removed. Your mom's uncle's daughter is her first cousin. You would be second cousin's with your mom's first cousin's children.

http://www.dumville.org/trees/cousins_tre.html

Old 06-23-2013, 08:56 PM

7,677 posts, read 5,524,010 times
This is the best genealogy relationship chart that I've run across:

Genealogy Relationship Chart - About Genealogy

Old 06-23-2013, 10:37 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,165,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I believe that is 1st cousin once removed. Your mom's uncle's daughter is her first cousin. You would be second cousin's with your mom's first cousin's children.

First Cousins Once Removed (and so on)

Ivory is right.

If the relative is in a different generation, it's the same relationship except "removed." So your parents' first cousins are your first cousins, once removed. Your parents' second cousins are your second cousins, once removed.

Similarly, your grandparents' first cousins are your first cousins twice removed.

And first cousins share grandparents, second cousins share great grandparents, third cousins share great- great grandparents.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:28 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,375,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
This is the best genealogy relationship chart that I've run across:

Genealogy Relationship Chart - About Genealogy
Good chart. It's more compact than some I've seen. Thanks for posting.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:40 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,254,914 times
Cousins are like stair steps.
Grandparents are on the platform above the first generation or first step.
First Gen: Their 4 children (My dad and his siblings)
Second Gen: Their 8 children (Me, my siblings, my (first) cousins are dad's nieces and nephews (children of dad's sisters and brothers.
Third Gen: Our 16 children (My children are dad's grandchildren. My cousins once removed are dad's grand nieces and nephews (grandchildren of dad's sisters and brothers)
Fourth Gen: My grandchildren and dad's great-grand children. Dad's great-grand nieces and nephews are my second cousins. These are the children born to 1C1R (first cousin once removed)

Cousins can be complicated.

My parents had no siblings. Their parents had a 14 siblings and cousins by the dozens. I did not know what a cousin was. I was in my 60s before I met a first cousin. She is the grandchild of my maternal grandfather's brother. Both lines daughtered out. It took me a very long time to understand the 1C1R concept primarily due to corrupted records found on the Internet.

I had one person claim a direct relationship to me because her great-grandmother's, half-sister's son, married my grandmother's aunt. She also claimed the same to the other member of the family based on another of the great-grandmother's half-sisters who married a great-grandfather. There was hitch in her get-along that day. They had no children. It continued to a third claim based on my grandfather's sister who married her grandmother's brother's daughter. Their children never married or had issue.

All you need is a 1 large family, and 1 common name for these people to find you.

Last edited by linicx; 06-25-2013 at 11:08 AM..

Old 04-27-2014, 02:44 PM

1 posts, read 59,195 times
my brother just became a grandpa for the first time. what does that make me?

Old 04-27-2014, 02:49 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by franfine View Post
my brother just became a grandpa for the first time. what does that make me?
A great uncle. Congratulations!

Old 04-28-2014, 10:15 AM

10,210 posts, read 17,864,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
A great uncle. Congratulations!
Technically a grand uncle but it's common place for some reason to replace grand with great. It should go:

Uncle
Grand Uncle
Great Grand Uncle
Great Great Grand Uncle
Etc

Just as parents/grandparents go:

Parent
Grandparent
Great Grandparent
Great Great Grandparent
Etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy