Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 11:29 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,251,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
I was thinking that. And how everyone has interesting stories in their family background.
That's what I was thinking when she talked about how its in her family to just keep going no matter what. I can understand because when I looked up mine that is what I got from it. If you know things like this then it can be an inspritation too, and when the world seems to have crumbled you can remind yourself. I once upon a time ask myself what my g grandparents would do and just took care of stuff because that was what had to be done.

I think that is one of the true values of knowing about your ancestors. Your can connect with something more than today and this society and your little world in a personal way.

It was also very sad that this still rather young woman is so woefully uneducated about the history of her country. How could she never have heard of Andersonville? It is not just a memorial to the union civil war POW's today but the POW's of all wars everywhere. We really REALLY need to teach and talk about our history since you need to know where we all came from too.

Love that I can watch this via Amazon for a few bucks a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 11:35 AM

531 posts, read 501,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
But it's not like Andersonville is some piece of esoteric knowledge that only Civil War buffs would know about. It's pretty much common knowledge. It's like saying "Gettysburg...was there a battle there or something?"
I think it's not quite as common as you are assuming, especially since most people don't have much of an interest in history. For just Average Joe/Jane-on-the-street name recognition, I definitely wouldn't put it in with the Tier One names (Gettysburg, Lincoln, Robert E. Lee, Sherman, Bull Run, Shiloh, Grant), but considerably lower. Probably somewhere between J.E.B. Stuart and Antietam.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:18 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,890,741 times
But sadly, I don't even think Clarkson would have recognized the "tier one" names, apart from Lincoln.

Nah, I still think Andersonville is much more famous. She's just a fluff-head. Again, she's not 18; she's 31.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:56 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,251,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
But sadly, I don't even think Clarkson would have recognized the "tier one" names, apart from Lincoln.

Nah, I still think Andersonville is much more famous. She's just a fluff-head. Again, she's not 18; she's 31.
I hope this will stir a curiosity in her and maybe she'll study some history, but sadly I think not. Her mother looked surprised that she had not heard of Andersonville when she asked. She ought to read a bit more about it or perhaps one of the survivors journels you can find on Amazon.

I wonder if they'd gone back before that if she'd have known anything about older ancestors lives and histories if she barely knows anything about the civil war. Sad, sad sad...

Old 07-24-2013, 09:19 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,055 posts, read 30,375,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dark View Post
I think it's not quite as common as you are assuming, especially since most people don't have much of an interest in history. For just Average Joe/Jane-on-the-street name recognition, I definitely wouldn't put it in with the Tier One names (Gettysburg, Lincoln, Robert E. Lee, Sherman, Bull Run, Shiloh, Grant), but considerably lower. Probably somewhere between J.E.B. Stuart and Antietam.
Agree. Genealogists probably know more about history just by dealing with it all the time. Clarkson is a singer, right? She probably knows things about that the average non-singer doesn't know.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:26 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,687,950 times
I just returned from a trip to Gettysburg. We were there for the 150th anniversary. We also went to Antietam and to Chickamauga where my 3rd Gr Grandfather died. My husband is not into history as much as me. He knew Gettysburg and Antietam. He knew Robert E Lee, Grant, Sherman and even Pickett. He did know about Chickamauga or Andersonville. I'm really sad that I didn't realize we would pass Andersonville on the way home. We also went to Ohio and did some genealogy stuff. I actually met a 2nd cousin while in a graveyard. We were looking at the same name on a headstone and turned out to share a Gr Gr Grandfather.
My hubby is 47 BTW

Old 07-25-2013, 12:13 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,247,288 times
It must be a 3rd great grandfather thing -- one of mine died a POW in an Andersonville overfill camp called Camp Lawton in Millen GA. Several other 3rd ggfs served -- but if I recall correctly it was only on my mother's side. My Dad's side the timing was wrong, the men too old and the boys too young.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:52 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
It is Tuesday again and so it's time to turn on the tv. I missed it last week because I fell asleep. Write yourself a note or set an alarm if you don't want to miss it.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:54 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
Well, it was pretty good. Very emotional and she did find out who she is and her father found out who he is. Kind of sad though.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:49 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,997,176 times
I love this show. I'm about Clarkson's age and I was not familiar with Andersonville either. History class is not what it used to be, people. If you're not a history buff, chances are you aren't going to get the chance to learn it all sitting in a classroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy