Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 06:34 AM

8 posts, read 15,518 times

Advertisements

I began work on my family tree about five years ago. Didn't know anything about researching. The only family information that I had was my grandmother's name on my mothers side. Didn't know her husbands name, and didn't know anyone on my fathers side.

After a lot of different websites, census, and everything else I can think of, I know have a family tree that goes back to 1482 England on my dad's side, and 1536 in Germany on my mom's side. Still have a lot of research to go, but hang in there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 10:06 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,251,057 times
I've noticed this thread but never spent the time to read the whole thing. But have been trying to verify some information from family heritage tales.

I'm assuming reasonable accuracy because my Grandmother was a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution. I know that they verify their information before accepting members. I would like to write and ask for the information they have on my mom's family. Does anyone know where to write and what information needs to be submitted? I don't know how full it would be but would give me accurate birth and death dates and full names.

I don't plan on spending money on pay sites until I see if I need to, but to get your money's worth how much do you pay on Ancestry.com?

Old 02-24-2009, 02:35 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,758,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I've noticed this thread but never spent the time to read the whole thing. But have been trying to verify some information from family heritage tales.

I'm assuming reasonable accuracy because my Grandmother was a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution. I know that they verify their information before accepting members. I would like to write and ask for the information they have on my mom's family. Does anyone know where to write and what information needs to be submitted? I don't know how full it would be but would give me accurate birth and death dates and full names.

I don't plan on spending money on pay sites until I see if I need to, but to get your money's worth how much do you pay on Ancestry.com?
Supposedly...Ancestry has ALL of the verified DAR lineages but I have yet to find them. I was hoping to use them for myself for SAR membership.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:11 PM

10,210 posts, read 17,864,610 times
Ancestry.com is certainly worth it. I have found about 85 records with them, only a small fraction of which I could have found on free sites. You can pay only for access to US records or you can pay more for access to world wide records. You can pay monthly which is a better option if you plan to subscribe for less than a year. If you plan to keep it for a year or more, it's better to pay the yearly fee. I am paying monthly, only had it for about a month or 2 and I plan on cancelling it soon since I think I've gotten what I can from it, for now.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:01 PM

1,640 posts, read 3,653,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegamblingcowboy View Post
I began work on my family tree about five years ago. Didn't know anything about researching. The only family information that I had was my grandmother's name on my mothers side. Didn't know her husbands name, and didn't know anyone on my fathers side.

After a lot of different websites, census, and everything else I can think of, I know have a family tree that goes back to 1482 England on my dad's side, and 1536 in Germany on my mom's side. Still have a lot of research to go, but hang in there.
Go, Cowboy!

Quote:

That's the perfect place to start researching, Nightbird! Start with the oldest or most frail, too! I am quickly running out of older relatives who can tell me things about their past and families and it's breaking my heart.

I don't have any info on DAR but as for ancestry.com, I recommend doing the monthly just to start. If you're like most of us, you research sporadically. It is more expensive to do it monthly but if you remember to cancel before your renewal date and then start again when you're ready to research again, it is much more economical. I have wasted a lot of money by being an annual member because I didn't use it half the time. They used to have a quarterly option but I don't see it, now. The key is to write the date on your calendar when it will renew the next month or you might go for several months without remembering that it is still going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Ancestry.com is certainly worth it. I have found about 85 records with them, only a small fraction of which I could have found on free sites. You can pay only for access to US records or you can pay more for access to world wide records. You can pay monthly which is a better option if you plan to subscribe for less than a year. If you plan to keep it for a year or more, it's better to pay the yearly fee. I am paying monthly, only had it for about a month or 2 and I plan on cancelling it soon since I think I've gotten what I can from it, for now.
Ditto what you've said here, PA2UK! I have no idea anymore which info I've gotten from which site. Some of my best help has come through contacts were found through GenForum - Home . Through it, I have found distant relatives who had more info than I had and their help has been immeasurable!

Old 02-26-2009, 11:23 PM

Quote:
I realize I didn't answer your question completely, Nightbird. The annual U.S. Membership cost for ancestry.com right now is $155.40 and that only gives you U.S. data. If you want the World Deluxe Membership, you'll have to fork over $299.40 monthly. The monthly membership is more expensive in the long run but if you're just wanting to dabble, $29.95 a month is "do-able". If you don't remember to cancel it when you're not researching, though, it'll "run you" $359.40 for a year.

I think I've covered everything. Don't forget that you can try it for a couple of weeks, I think, for free...but you will have limited access. You're on your own from here, kiddo. Haha! Just kidding!

Old 02-27-2009, 08:23 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,246,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsgenealogy View Post
Go, Cowboy!

That's the perfect place to start researching, Nightbird! Start with the oldest or most frail, too! I am quickly running out of older relatives who can tell me things about their past and families and it's breaking my heart.

I don't have any info on DAR but as for ancestry.com, I recommend doing the monthly just to start. If you're like most of us, you research sporadically. It is more expensive to do it monthly but if you remember to cancel before your renewal date and then start again when you're ready to research again, it is much more economical. I have wasted a lot of money by being an annual member because I didn't use it half the time. They used to have a quarterly option but I don't see it, now. The key is to write the date on your calendar when it will renew the next month or you might go for several months without remembering that it is still going.

Ditto what you've said here, PA2UK! I have no idea anymore which info I've gotten from which site. Some of my best help has come through contacts were found through GenForum - Home . Through it, I have found distant relatives who had more info than I had and their help has been immeasurable!
DAR is extremely accurate and let me tell you, those ladies take all of it very seriously They are so cute

Old 02-27-2009, 09:07 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,140,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aomething View Post
I've been the family genealogist since I was twelve and have since written 2 books for families, manage 2 websites and a genealogy business.

What has been your brick wall to hit and can't get through?

I have found out that I have a half uncle and half aunt from Grandfather's first marriage, but they would be almost 88 years old now and dont' even know if they are still alive. Dont have a clue where to look for them, as they are no where to be found after 1930 census. Can't look up 1940 census for a few more years! Brick wall!!!
Birth record for them,use google searches.If from out of the country check ellisisland.org .SS#'s are very helpful. Ancestry.com can check census but SS#'s are probably the biggest thing you should be searching for.I've been doing it for about 10 years and traced my family to Europe in the early 1800's and distant relatives in the U.S. and Canada.

Old 03-01-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
DAR is extremely accurate and let me tell you, those ladies take all of it very seriously They are so cute
I bet they ARE, mrstewart! I've wondered if they could be intimidating, too! Their reputation for requiring accuracy is well-known so it's good to know they're "cute".

Old 03-01-2009, 08:46 PM

261 posts, read 954,418 times
Thankyou for your advise. Actually a few months after I started this thread, I found my half uncle's children and grandchildren. Unfortunately both my half uncle and half aunt have passed away. But I have a new connection now and I treasure that every day. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Birth record for them,use google searches.If from out of the country check ellisisland.org .SS#'s are very helpful. Ancestry.com can check census but SS#'s are probably the biggest thing you should be searching for.I've been doing it for about 10 years and traced my family to Europe in the early 1800's and distant relatives in the U.S. and Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy