Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 11:16 AM

15,064 posts, read 6,168,768 times

Advertisements

Maybe or maybe not. These tests are not the end all be all. So who really knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
His father was a Luo from kenya a Nilotec people(generally quite dark and tall). Take a look at the link tell me if you think these Luo look 38% Sub-Saharan.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...r_20014319.jpg

Picture of Barack Obamas father. Too dark to have any significant percentage of admixture in my opinion.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ama%2C_Sr..jpg
Sorry but the statement above is ignorance. The world is far more diverse than simply European and African peoples. Complexion is not determinative of heritage. There are people with dark or light complexions who do not belong to those groups. Numerous people in my family are very dark and mixed, being descendants of both Africans and South Asians. There are countries with many people of both origins.

*http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1...0b8uo1_500.jpg

*http://sareedreams.com/wp-content/up...09/helen01.jpg

The guy is mixed. The girl is south asian.

The girl below has a South Asian mother (from Trinidad) and an African father (from Ghana). See her complexion.

*http://legacy.guardian.co.tt/archive...9/mainpic1.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2015, 11:39 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,891,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Maybe or maybe not. These tests are not the end all be all. So who really knows.

Sorry but the statement above is ignorance. The world is far more diverse than simply European and African peoples. Complexion is not determinative of heritage. There are people with dark or light complexions who do not belong to those groups. Numerous people in my family are very dark and mixed, being descendants of both Africans and South Asians. There are countries with many people of both origins.

*http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1...0b8uo1_500.jpg

*http://sareedreams.com/wp-content/up...09/helen01.jpg

The guy is mixed. The girl is south asian.

The girl below has a South Asian mother (from Trinidad) and an African father (from Ghana). See her complexion.

*http://legacy.guardian.co.tt/archive...9/mainpic1.jpg
Far from ignorance when you take into consideration that his father is a Luo from Kenya and Obama is of sub-Saharan African and European ancestry.

I am quite familiar with the fact that very dark pigmentation is found in various populations near the equator. You are reading far too much into one statement and you're preaching to the choir so to speak. But that isn't what this thread is about it is about people that are primarily European genetically with small percentages of sub-Saharan African admixture.

In Africa there is a strong correlation between genetics and languages spoken. Take a look at figure 5 in the link it gives you quite a bit of information regarding the Luo. Very little purple and no blue the two African populations with significant Eurasian Admixture.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2947357/

Last edited by AFP; 12-25-2015 at 12:31 PM..

Old 12-25-2015, 04:21 PM

15,064 posts, read 6,168,768 times
Quote:
Far from ignorance when you take into consideration that his father is a Luo from Kenya and Obama is of sub-Saharan African and European ancestry.

I am quite familiar with the fact that very dark pigmentation is found in various populations near the equator. You are reading far too much into one statement and you're preaching to the choir so to speak. But that isn't what this thread is about it is about people that are primarily European genetically with small percentages of sub-Saharan African admixture.

In Africa there is a strong correlation between genetics and languages spoken. Take a look at figure 5 in the link it gives you quite a bit of information regarding the Luo. Very little purple and no blue the two African populations with significant Eurasian Admixture.

The Genetic Structure and History of Africans and African Americans
Well your statement was general, rather than specific. It's not the first time such a statement has been said, so that was the reason for my response. That's all.

Old 12-25-2015, 05:07 PM

614 posts, read 3,210,826 times
Quote:
I know of one woman from my village of birth in the Azores that has that "off" look very distantly related to me at the 5th cousin level she is the only one in her family with that look it's a very large extended family. It's the hair slightly frizzy and she just doesn't appear fully white no non-paternity issue going on there impossible to keep things like that secret in very small communities it always gets out eventually. Her two daughters are blonde blue eyed and look like stereotypical central Europeans.
If you want to see a photo I can message you one. She is 90 now and people say she now looks fully European, but when she was younger I think you'd mistake her for Cuban or Puerto Rican (Iberian, minor African). She had no children, though her husband was fully Irish with red hair and freckles.

Old 12-25-2015, 06:48 PM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Well your statement was general, rather than specific. It's not the first time such a statement has been said, so that was the reason for my response. That's all.
Ok. That's cool.

Old 12-25-2015, 06:51 PM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by virulentpeach View Post
If you want to see a photo I can message you one. She is 90 now and people say she now looks fully European, but when she was younger I think you'd mistake her for Cuban or Puerto Rican (Iberian, minor African). She had no children, though her husband was fully Irish with red hair and freckles.
Sure message me.

Old 12-25-2015, 06:55 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,604,681 times
how much do these tests cost? what do they require, a cheek swab or have to draw blood?

Old 12-25-2015, 10:28 PM

10,209 posts, read 17,862,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
how much do these tests cost? what do they require, a cheek swab or have to draw blood?
They are either a cheek swab or spit tube depending on the company. There are no blood tests for this. Ancestry.com is $99, but often on sale for less. Familytreedna.com is $99. 23andme.com is $199.

Old 12-26-2015, 06:53 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virulentpeach View Post
I do think though that African DNA can show in physical appearance even below 10%. My great aunt should be around 6-8% Sub-Saharan in DNA (the rest being Portuguese) and in some photos of her when she was a child, you can tell there is something in her that is "off" even for a Southern European. In old age though she does look fully Portuguese.

"Off?" Wow. How 'bout just "her?" Since when is any sort of DNA from an ethnic or racial group something "off?" That implies that it's some sort of inferior element or some sort of defect.

Old 12-26-2015, 12:35 PM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
"Off?" Wow. How 'bout just "her?" Since when is any sort of DNA from an ethnic or racial group something "off?" That implies that it's some sort of inferior element or some sort of defect.

I didn't get the impression that he was implying that his great aunts look was inferior because she looked "off" just that she looked mixed.

Btw I think some people with a mixed look are stunning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy