U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2013, 08:14 AM

13,138 posts, read 38,712,448 times

Advertisements

Dont know if the other DNA test sites have this feature but this is kind of cool by 23andMe as if you click on the '''Family and Friends''' and then '''DNA Relatives''' you'll see the Map icon on the top right and when you click on it it shows a google world map as to where all of the members whose submitted DNA closely matches you are located throughout the world.

For example in my home country of the USA i'm not surprised seeing that i match up highest with people in North and South Carolina as that's where my American family roots first located (Charleston 1780's) and are still immersed in the southeast region of the country although i have matches in all 50 states as well. As for the world view map i match up highest with Ireland then England (low in Scotland) and surprisingly high in Lithuania of members who've submitted DNA to 23andMe.

Anyway just a few examples as to how it works and so if you haven't found this feature then do check it out.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 01:28 PM
bjh

44,901 posts, read 27,068,956 times
Be aware that the DNA Relatives Map shows where people have reported ancestors origins from. It's not where they actually live today. And the accuracy of where people live can vary. Anyone who has read much in this forum can tell that where families believe they are from and where they're actually from can be two different things.

Of course it can help if many relatives are focused on one area. But unusual results could be based on family gossip or well traveled distant relatives. Here's an example of the well traveled cousins situation. Someone with British ancestry could have matches showing up in India, but have no Indian DNA themselves. As we know the British empire set down roots in India long ago. Some British settlers intermarried with locals. Therefore, the person finding these distant cousins is not Indian, but some Indians have British ancestors in their family tree.

There is a genetically linked way to see kinship in a sort of map. If you go to Ancestry Tools and look at the Global Similarity Map, that will show you how you compare to populations genetically, as opposed to people reporting where they think their ancestors came from. If you're sharing information with other users, the Global Similarity Map can help determine where your populations are closest genetically. So for instance I've been able to determine if kinship is British or continental.

If you're signed in you can see it here: https://www.23andme.com/you/labs/global_similarity_map/

Last edited by bjh; 08-03-2013 at 02:11 PM.. Reason: add link
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy