U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-30-2013, 01:25 PM
 
Location: Jersey
2,896 posts, read 3,946,462 times
Reputation: 2719

Advertisements

One thing that you have to understand is that in the US, White and Black are as much cultural/historical/legal groups as they are any sort of racial or genealogical groups. I don't think most Black Americans would deny that many Black Americans do have European and even Native American ancestors, but this doesn't have any effect on their "Blackness" or identifying with being Black. This is fairly complicated due to factors such as: legal hypodescendancy, the fact that being Black has become less stigmatized is the US than other New World countries; the common historical experience of slavery, jim crow/segregation, and discrimination; forming a solid social block to combat racism and discrimination; etc. The ironic thing about hypodescendancy laws is that they formed a more coherent and well defined group to combat racism and discrimination even though the laws were racist and stratifying(more blacks=more slaves).
Rate this post positively

 
Old 10-05-2013, 11:20 PM
 
138 posts, read 311,358 times
Reputation: 142
If blacks have to acknowledge their European ancestry, then the 1/3 of American whites who have African ancestry must acknowledge theirs. Yes, there was a study that indicated 1/3 of white Americans have African DNA. Probably more who have Native American ancestry.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-06-2013, 10:20 AM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
34,582 posts, read 36,750,535 times
Reputation: 41294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Azteca View Post
If blacks have to acknowledge their European ancestry, then the 1/3 of American whites who have African ancestry must acknowledge theirs. Yes, there was a study that indicated 1/3 of white Americans have African DNA. Probably more who have Native American ancestry.
The mixture is there, but not to the degree you indicate. Do you have a source?

23AndMe is finding more like 3 to 4% of its customer base of those who identify as white having hidden African ancestry. The data base includes some people from modern Europe, so the percentage may be underestimated, but I doubt it will reach one third. The percentage of black Americans with European ancestors is about 25%.

This author is one of the ones who discovered hidden African ancestry and found it quite surprising --- of course --- and is trying to identify the source.

Our Hidden African Ancestry | The 23andMe Blog

The experience of Charles Holman is very relative to the question in the OP:

Your Genetic Genealogist

This article explains the difficulty in analyzing DNA in mixed African and Native American populations, which is confounded by the European ancestry admixture in both:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...an-dna-testing
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-06-2013, 11:37 AM
 
Location: Illinois
3,169 posts, read 4,827,568 times
Reputation: 5607
Per 23andMe and Gates ALL black Americans have admixture. They have yet to find a black American who is 100% African.

The admixture is almost always European so I don't understand the 25% info.


Gates believes that genetic genealogy is deconstructing the notion of race; never has FTDNA or 23andMe returned an African American’s testing results and reported 100% African, for example. In other words, science is demonstrating that things are much more complicated than we would have guessed without the benefit of DNA.

http://www.thegeneticgenealogist.com...ouis-gates-jr/
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-06-2013, 12:03 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
34,582 posts, read 36,750,535 times
Reputation: 41294
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
Per 23andMe and Gates ALL black Americans have admixture. They have yet to find a black American who is 100% African.

The admixture is almost always European so I don't understand the 25% info.


Gates believes that genetic genealogy is deconstructing the notion of race; never has FTDNA or 23andMe returned an African American’s testing results and reported 100% African, for example. In other words, science is demonstrating that things are much more complicated than we would have guessed without the benefit of DNA.

Finding Your Roots with Henry Louis Gates Jr. – The Genetic Genealogist
Thanks. It appears that the 25% figure is the average amount of European admixture in populations that self identify as African American:

Did You Know? Ancestry is Not So Black and White | The 23andMe Blog
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-06-2013, 12:39 PM
 
Location: Illinois
3,169 posts, read 4,827,568 times
Reputation: 5607
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Thanks. It appears that the 25% figure is the average amount of European admixture in populations that self identify as African American:

Did You Know? Ancestry is Not So Black and White | The 23andMe Blog
Yes, that is the figure that I've heard before as well.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-18-2013, 05:04 PM
 
8,461 posts, read 7,473,455 times
Reputation: 4542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Yes they should. They should stop being so uptight and just get over it.

If it were not for the European ancestry they would not be alive.

So should whites who have African ancestry acknowledge it, and yes more than a few do?
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-18-2013, 07:22 PM
 
1,097 posts, read 1,939,898 times
Reputation: 1619
Genealogically speaking, I believe one should "recognize" whomever your ancestors were/are. It's especially helpful if you can somehow dig up the actual story behind the relationships.

That said, it's not always possible, and "mixing" carried/carries with it all kinds of ingrained messages. In general[& that doesn't mean everyone]for African Americans, is it often assumed that the relationship was non-consensual and a result of power vs powerlessness & abuse. For whites, it is often assumed that it was a perhaps loving but disguised relationship due to attitudes once prevalent about "race", but without the stigma of abuse.

I have done genealogies which disproved these attitudes for individual families but the archetypes exist. If I knew that whatever mix I had was the result of an unwilling abusive relationship no matter the ethnicity, I would acknowledge but not celebrate it. I am who I am.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-21-2013, 09:22 PM
 
845 posts, read 1,010,899 times
Reputation: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Yes they should. They should stop being so uptight and just get over it.

If it were not for the European ancestry they would not be alive.
But the same can be said for white americans. Many whites american would not be alive if it were not for African ancestry. There were many black people passing for white (it still goes on today) and they married whites and had children, grandchildren, great-granchildren and so on who may look white and even have pale skin, blonde hair, and blue eyes and not even know (or some might actually know) that they have black ancestry.

Why doesn't white america embrace their african ancestry? Heather Locklear, Carol Channing, Carly Simon, Denise Richards, and Johnny Depp have. Will others follow their lead?
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-21-2013, 09:25 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
34,582 posts, read 36,750,535 times
Reputation: 41294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite97 View Post
But the same can be said for white americans. Many whites american would not be alive if it were not for African ancestry. There were many black people passing for white (it still goes on today) and they married whites and had children, grandchildren, great-granchildren and so on who may look white and even have pale skin, blonde hair, and blue eyes and not even know (or some might actually know) that they have black ancestry.

Why doesn't white america embrace their african ancestry? Heather Locklear, Carol Channing, Carly Simon, Denise Richards, and Johnny Depp have. Will others follow their lead?
Actually, they are.

Our Hidden African Ancestry | The 23andMe Blog
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.



All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top