Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 10:35 AM

1,191 posts, read 1,584,677 times

Advertisements

I did a DNA test through 23andMe. I wasn't surprised by the results. My European DNA is just under 40% (with Sub Saharan African being 60%). The bulk of my European ancestry is southern European. Based on my list of relatives on 23andMe and their countries of ancestry it seems Greece is the predominant location that comes up. But what do I do with that?

This is where the differences between race, ethnicity, and culture come into play. While DNA is physiological, identity is social and psychological. It is developed through acculturation. Its one thing have European ancestry. It is another to identify as European. I fully accept my European ancestry while realizing I'm still not European socially.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:14 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,307,559 times
As a Black American I will acknowledge my European ancestry but won't go proclaiming it out on the rooftops with a bullhorn. I've been to both France and Italy...Both beautiful places and people, from my expereince. Given that I have ancestry from these two countries, I'm about as both as Jackie Chan is Swedish. You won't see me at a Columbus Day parade or joining the Sons of Italy. Speaking for ONLY me, I have no personal, let alone historical reasons for doing so. I have always identified myself and lived as a Black man, period. My loyalty and homage is reserved only for my Black ancestors and other Blacks who suffered, paved the way, bled and even died so that I and others can live today.

Granted, having some European ancestry is what helps to make me a whole being. On the flip side lets not forget that the European genetic makeup that most AA's in this country have came at a VERY steep cost.

How other African Americans choose to acknowledge their ancestry and themselves is THEIR business. It's an individual and personal call as far as I'm concerned. I'll be the first to say that if you are Black and want to proudly celebrate and proclaim your Irish side, absolutely no one has the right to condemn you for that.

No offense to anyone, but just being real.

Last edited by Gil3; 12-19-2013 at 02:41 PM..

Old 12-20-2013, 08:25 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,658,747 times
There was a poster earlier in the thread who seemed quite convinced that there are millions of ethinically European Americans running around denying their African ancestry. This is flat wrong. Most Americans haven't even had such testing; of those who have, we have no proof of who is hiding or proclaiming what they found.

I acknowledge every drop of blood that went into making me, from any continent. Why on earth would I embrace a lie, even a lie of omission? I have only done Geno 2.0, and it indicated no African origins, but I was surely ready to learn whatever it had to tell me.

Anyone who doesn't want to know the truth just shouldn't have genetic testing done.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:22 PM

560 posts, read 1,130,322 times
Being that your Black you should also be aware of 'colorism' within the Black community and especially how looks have led to many divides amongst friends and families and many Black communities. Whether one haas this type of hair, or this shade of skin, or these color eyes and seeing dark skin as ugly and nappy hair as repulsive. I met plenty people who were OCDing over the fact that they are half this, half that, that their eyes change color exactly at 3 pm or they would never date a dark skin girl or muddy up their gene pool or even 'marry up' to get 'better' genes so that their kids are light skin and have inherently more European or Asian or Native American or Spanish features. So I think Black people should just be happy with knowing what they knowing because what they already know is kinda not helping anyone.

Old 12-20-2013, 03:28 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Its genealogy. it is what it is no matter what. Its not some political poll after all you choice from.

Old 11-17-2018, 07:04 PM

112 posts, read 62,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
I did a DNA test through 23andMe. I wasn't surprised by the results. My European DNA is just under 40% (with Sub Saharan African being 60%). The bulk of my European ancestry is southern European. Based on my list of relatives on 23andMe and their countries of ancestry it seems Greece is the predominant location that comes up. But what do I do with that?

This is where the differences between race, ethnicity, and culture come into play. While DNA is physiological, identity is social and psychological. It is developed through acculturation. Its one thing have European ancestry. It is another to identify as European. I fully accept my European ancestry while realizing I'm still not European socially.
I disagree, My DNA results are that I'm 75% African, and 22% European and I do consider myself European versus Black/African-American since I can trace my lineage to European immigrants. I have no known linage to Africa, my most recent country of origins are European countries.

Old 11-17-2018, 08:01 PM

661 posts, read 880,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureKite View Post
I disagree, My DNA results are that I'm 75% African, and 22% European and I do consider myself European versus Black/African-American since I can trace my lineage to European immigrants. I have no known linage to Africa, my most recent country of origins are European countries.
You are Black, my friend.
Anything above 50% is your ancestry or race.
I am 70% European, 20% Native American and 10% Sub Saharan, and I am European.

Old 11-17-2018, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
You are Black, my friend.
Anything above 50% is your ancestry or race.
I am 70% European, 20% Native American and 10% Sub Saharan, and I am European.

Nope, I'm actually mixed-race/mulatto instead of Black/African-American. Majority percentages doesn't mean that's what determines your race, and ancestry so my European ancestry is definitely main ancestry,roots and race regardless of physical appearances and percentages. Majority percentages don't represent where you come from originally like If someone is 80% British, 10% Italian and 10%Eastern European that doesn't mean Great Britain is your ancestry just because it's a majority %, it depends on which bloodline you go by and identify with.

Old 11-18-2018, 05:33 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,907,683 times
^^ You have the right to interpret your DNA results how you like and to identify as you please but just make sure that you're not setting yourself up to look silly..

Some things worth considering are:

- Do you think that most Portuguese/Europeans would be in a rush to claim somebody who is almost 80% black? Why claim them when they probably ain't trying to claim you?

- Your DNA makeup happens to be very similar to that of the typical Black American (with just a few white percentages points higher). Wouldn't it look ridiculous if most African Americans ran around calling themselves europeans?

- Wouldnt it make sense to claim the region where by far most of your DNA comes from? Most people with a similar similar genotype as you [Black Americans] technically have no "known lineage" to Africa either but they rarely if ever identify as non-black.

Old 11-18-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
^^ You have the right to interpret your DNA results how you like and to identify as you please but just make sure that you're not setting yourself up to look silly..

Some things worth considering are:

- Do you think that most Portuguese/Europeans would be in a rush to claim somebody who is almost 80% black? Why claim them when they probably ain't trying to claim you?

- Your DNA makeup happens to be very similar to that of the typical Black American (with just a few white percentages points higher). Wouldn't it look ridiculous if most African Americans ran around calling themselves europeans?

- Wouldnt it make sense to claim the region where by far most of your DNA comes from? Most people with a similar similar genotype as you [Black Americans] technically have no "known lineage" to Africa either but they rarely if ever identify as non-black.

My African percentage doesn't matter, what difference does it make if I'm 40% African or 80% African?Majority percentages don't represent where you come from originally. Also what do African-Americans have to do with me and my results? I come from Portuguese immigrants so that definitely means I'm African-American since that is the lineage that is the most significant. My ancestors came from Portugal, so that's where I come from originally, my family history, and my heritage so I'm Portuguese or Luso-American because Portugal s where I come from (ancestry-wise) being 75%African doesn't change that or represent anything, it say I'm 1.3% Iberian but that doesn't mean that's how much Portuguese ancestry I have, so percentages shouldn't matte neither does physical appearances which I look very similar to Eddie Murphy or Wesley Snipes skin complexion. I'm learning about my Portuguese history and the language of my homeland.

Last edited by AzureKite; 11-18-2018 at 02:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy