Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 08:39 AM

25,940 posts, read 22,089,429 times

Advertisements

Without anyone mentioning and never planning it, we were married in April, my parents in April and my grandparents in April. Also, no one ever mentioned that my first name was also the name of my great-great grandmother. I was shocked to see that recently when given a copy of a chart my 2nd cousin has been working on for some time now and can't help but wonder if that played in the choice of my first name. Now, Grandma might have suggested it to my dad but since mom had little use for Grandma, that might be why it was never said that it was a relative's name. Everyone of them has passed on now so I will never know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 11:13 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
I found one of my ancestors living two houses from my brother-in-law's ancestor back in 1850 Illinois. She was there with her young children, as her husband was gone to the California Gold fields. Surely, a neighboring family would have been well acquainted with her, and probably helped the family out. Only to have two of their descendants marry more than a century later.

Another one is a little more off-kilter. I got into collecting postcards through genealogy. I was surprised to find a postcard I had bought was sent by, and to, the ancestor of a relative!
That would be cool! Some antique dealers have old photographs, sometimes with names written on the back. It would be great to find an old photo of a relative.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:26 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,398,163 times
Not sure if these qualify but:

My GG grandparents (paternal) had two sons die in infancy...each shared the same name. So, they named the first son, he died; years later (and children born in between), they have another son, gave him the same name, and he died also!

I also learned that my GG grandfather's (paternal) birth date is two days after mine; and my grandmother (paternal) and I share the exact same birthday.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:09 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
When I posted, I'd forgotten about all the repeated birthdays I found!

Of course, there's a 1 in 365.25 chance that two people will share a birthday. But when you see the same birthday coming up multiple times, in multiple lines, I can't imagine the odds-against-chance of that.

I need to go back and keep a list/spreadsheet of all the repeated birthdays, death days, and wedding days.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:37 AM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
^ That is weird. I was born a hundred years after one of my ggms. But it was 100 years, 4 months and some days.

Old 08-14-2013, 03:01 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
I can't tell you how many of my ancestors lived in New Caledonia, Lancaster County PA. LC in general... probably 1/3 of my ancestors from all over (Scotland, Ulster, German, Wales) moved there before moving down to VA and the Carolinas

Old 08-14-2013, 07:42 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,377,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
Not sure if these qualify but:

My GG grandparents (paternal) had two sons die in infancy...each shared the same name. So, they named the first son, he died; years later (and children born in between), they have another son, gave him the same name, and he died also!

I also learned that my GG grandfather's (paternal) birth date is two days after mine; and my grandmother (paternal) and I share the exact same birthday.
I have a similar situation. I didn't know it at the beginning but my great grandpa had two families because his first wife died. In documenting his children I kept running into "John F." and "John E." with a few years difference in birth dates. I didn't give it much thought because such a discrepancy wasn't that unusual that far back. Working with cousins we finally found they both were correct. John F. was from his first family and died young and John E. was from his second family and also died young. It took years to sort that out.

Old 08-17-2013, 02:13 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
My great grandmother, mothers maternal grandmother, was born in 1854. I was born in 1952. My maternal grandmother and grandfather were both born in 1891. My son was born in 1991. My mom was born in 1916. My son (only child) got engaged and chances are the pattern will repeat pretty close. I can't find dates back from that yet, my g grandmother's family's name is famous but that also means there are a lot of them and her father doesn't show up on searches with any of the various spellings, but I wonder if this pattern follows back a few generations.

Then my son, and his fiancee. When I was with my husband we lived on a street which actually only totalled one block in the IE, socal. Seems his girl lived three houses away and they moved about when we did. But he ended up with his aunt after his dad and I split since I couldn't afford to take proper care of him, and her family moved to the same street, two houses away, from where his aunt and uncle had lived before they moved to the new house they still live in. Too many coincendences, like they were bound to meet eventually. Its also a one block street. One would be suspicious, but two is mind blowing.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:59 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
I just had a weird coincidence!

My g-g-grandparents were Clara D and Leonard W. They married in 1871.

I found each of their parents' marriage records separately: Clara's parents married March 16, 1841 and Leonard's parents married June 16, 1841. I've had those records for a while.

But when I just looked closer at the actual photo images from the records hand-written by the Justice of the Peace, the marriages of both sets of parents are on the same page!

So these two couples married 3 months apart in 1841, they get recorded on the same page, and 30 years later, their children marry each other!

Old 09-24-2013, 03:03 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I just had a weird coincidence!

My g-g-grandparents were Clara D and Leonard W. They married in 1871.

I found each of their parents' marriage records separately: Clara's parents married March 16, 1841 and Leonard's parents married June 16, 1841. I've had those records for a while.

But when I just looked closer at the actual photo images from the records hand-written by the Justice of the Peace, the marriages of both sets of parents are on the same page!

So these two couples married 3 months apart in 1841, they get recorded on the same page, and 30 years later, their children marry each other!
Were they married by the same person? Perhaps they were friends or neighbors or attended the same church. Are they perhaps even recorded near each other in census records?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy