Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 08:52 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times

Advertisements

Don't mean to hijack, but I see that posters frequently point to the National Archives/Library of Congress site, but I NEVER seem to have any luck searching those resources. There must be some "trick" I don't know.

Anyway, back to Fold3 sucking.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 11:12 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
Default Goodbye to fold-freakin-3!!!

I got the notice that fold3 will be automatically billing me on 7/31 for another year, so I went on and quickly turned off the auto-renew option.

Goodbye fold3 and your largely useless website!
Goodbye to the pages that move around and wiggle whenever I move the damned mouse.
Goodbye to showing me hundreds of "hits" that aren't even close to the name of the person I entered.
Goodbye to your idiotic search function that doesn't allow quotation marks around a first and middle name or initial, so that I get hundreds of hits on the letter "R" or the middle name "Joseph."
Goodbye to not being able to narrow a search for a person with an unfortunately common name.
Goodbye to your records that I can get on other websites, with more effective search functions.

Fold3 does a disservice to all those who fought and died for our country!

Old 07-23-2014, 12:10 PM

738 posts, read 998,998 times
I signed up for Fold3 for one month only and immediately intercepted any chance of auto-renewal.

While I have not had to search through military records, the online city directories were of great help...(at least $7.99 worth of help)...

Obviously, I have not renewed since.

RVcook

Old 08-19-2014, 03:42 AM

2,334 posts, read 2,646,091 times
I was tempted to invest in Fold3 but after reading these comments, I've decided against it. I'm having a lot of trouble trying to find Civil War records from ancestors in Florida (or ANY records, for that matter, because Florida records are so sparse).

I stumbled on Civil War Soldiers Database - American Civil War Service Records and a few names popped up, but it's hard to tell whether they were casualties or not. (I may be doing something wrong.) Anyway, I wanted to add it here because I'm really trying hard to break through Columbia, Hamilton, and Hillsborough counties in Florida, and it's a real struggle. Thought it might help others from all over the country as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy