Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 02:22 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,778,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glosal View Post
I am Mexican and I just got my DNA results through ancestry.com I am 51% Native American 40% European, 7% African and 1% Asian, although my results were much more specific to regions, There you have it.
Wow! I need to do that at some point here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 03:29 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,823,280 times
Go to Genealogy, Family Trees & Family History Records at Ancestry.com and order a test kit. They break down your ancestry by ethnicity and race.

Old 04-15-2014, 03:36 PM

30,472 posts, read 21,675,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristanRamenNoodles View Post
You look "Mestizo". Your not European looking nor Native looking.
Doesn't matter what you look like, my dad who looks 100% NA (Yaqui), results came back 60% Euro.

Old 04-18-2014, 01:34 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,060,388 times
i would be careful. As a mexican mestizo on the european side my results were really vague. my results on standard mode were like 40% European 30% Indigenous than some north African then west African BUT over 20% undefined!!! . On speculative mode it was the undefined was dropped down to 4% but there is a 50/50 it might be completely off. i think they got the results by just looking at the average admixture in Mexico.

now that i think about it. it was not worth it

Old 04-21-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
i would be careful. As a mexican mestizo on the european side my results were really vague. my results on standard mode were like 40% European 30% Indigenous than some north African then west African BUT over 20% undefined!!! . On speculative mode it was the undefined was dropped down to 4% but there is a 50/50 it might be completely off. i think they got the results by just looking at the average admixture in Mexico.

now that i think about it. it was not worth it
Just curious, who did the testing? Have you spoken to other people who have had this test?

Old 04-21-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Just curious, who did the testing? Have you spoken to other people who have had this test?

23 and me. I know there are other people who took the test and did'nt get clear results. I think if your of Northern European heritage your results will be more clear since there is a large pool of people to be match with.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:20 PM

9,795 posts, read 14,638,766 times
The irony with 23andme is that the results on speculative mode tend to coincide with whatever other tests you might do, which points towards that being the most accurate portrait of your composition. There are no tests that can give 100% results, at least not yet; but, 23andme is the most honest of all the companies out there, even giving you three different results based on certainty (I think its 90% certainty in conservative mode, 75% in normal, and 50% in speculative).

23andme also updates your account every time they adopt a new technology to analyze the results. The best part is that in 23andme you can download your raw DNA findings and those are accurate 100%. You can use that data to submit to other companies that will analyze your composition too.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
23 and me. I know there are other people who took the test and did'nt get clear results. I think if your of Northern European heritage your results will be more clear since there is a large pool of people to be match with.
I'm not of Northern European heritage and none of my results came in ambiguous. Correction, I'm not predominately Northern European (80% from various parts of West, Central and Southeast Africa) but nothing vague came in about my results, including the Northern European elements there were there. I used ancestry.com

What were you looking to find out when you did the test?

Certain ethnic groups and nations test more or less the same. Norwegians, Danes, and Swedes are referred to as Scandinavians. Finns and Northwest Russians are similar. Various ethnic groups of Mozambique (Southeastern Africa) are similar to each other. Greeks and Italians test the same (historically many Greeks formed colonies in Italy before the Latins took over and made the Roman Empire).

Old 04-30-2014, 02:34 PM

2,696 posts, read 3,752,201 times
I believe in time, perhaps a decade or so, as more and more people world-wide participate in DNA testing, a clearer picture will be presented for those with largely mixed heritages.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I'm not of Northern European heritage and none of my results came in ambiguous. Correction, I'm not predominately Northern European (80% from various parts of West, Central and Southeast Africa) but nothing vague came in about my results, including the Northern European elements there were there. I used ancestry.com

What were you looking to find out when you did the test?

Certain ethnic groups and nations test more or less the same. Norwegians, Danes, and Swedes are referred to as Scandinavians. Finns and Northwest Russians are similar. Various ethnic groups of Mozambique (Southeastern Africa) are similar to each other. Greeks and Italians test the same (historically many Greeks formed colonies in Italy before the Latins took over and made the Roman Empire).
My admixture. 20 percent is huge. It does not tell me anything. I know i am a Mestizo but i wanted to know the percentage. If almost 1//4 of my composition is undefined then i must say the 90+ dollars was not worth it.

But oh well hopefully it gets updated as time passes, i got the patience, either my interests are focused on other things now lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy