Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 03:29 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times

Advertisements

i am 100% american, yes my tree came from scotland, but where did they come from, had to be someplace beside scotland, so are they really scottish.
so i am 100% american
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 04:49 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,970,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Curious. What makes you want to pick the German ancestry over the others? I wondered myself what I should chose when reporting an ancestry. My ancestry is mostly German (four of my g-grandparents were German speakers even) but through a name change that I did a few years ago I have my mother's father's surname, which is English.

So, if someone was to ask to write a heritage on paper, I would probably pick the English just because that is what my last name is.
Just one of my ancestors way back when really changed my family for the better and he was full blood german.I am proud of being German because of him.I have always felt a connection to Germany

Old 09-17-2013, 05:05 PM

993 posts, read 1,560,031 times
You have to be careful with stories from The Daily Mail. They've been proven untrustworthy and tabloid-ish many times.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:10 PM

7,676 posts, read 5,521,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sade693 View Post
You have to be careful with stories from The Daily Mail. They've been proven untrustworthy and tabloid-ish many times.
I just checked and the map they printed came from page 8 of a PDF document which can be viewed at the census.gov web site:

http://www.census.gov/prod/2004pubs/c2kbr-35.pdf

Old 09-17-2013, 06:14 PM

31,002 posts, read 22,045,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerntraveler View Post
Just one of my ancestors way back when really changed my family for the better and he was full blood german.I am proud of being German because of him.I have always felt a connection to Germany
I have a friend who thought he was 100% German. He eventually ended up finding out that the relatives that came over in the 1800s were Russian.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:57 PM

7,676 posts, read 5,521,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
I have a friend who thought he was 100% German. He eventually ended up finding out that the relatives that came over in the 1800s were Russian.
That's actually not a contradiction. Many Germans migrated as colonists to areas in Eastern Europe which were under Russian control in the late 18th century and in the 19th century, including parts of present day Poland and the Ukraine. They kept their language, religion and German culture. Large numbers of their descendants then immigrated to North America starting about the early 1890s, in search of a better life. On census lists their place of birth is listed as Russia. They spoke German and sometimes Russian as well.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:28 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,970,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Im sure im German

Old 09-17-2013, 11:01 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,489,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
The report itself says it : "the number of people directly claiming to be English-American has dropped by 20 million since the 1980 U.S. Census because more citizens have started to identify themselves as American." [LEFT]
Also, how many times have you heard the expression "English-American" used in a forum, or other media ? You do hear all manner of other names (XXX-American). So I think, if asked, many times people will report their other predominate heritage, other than English.

My father's ancestor came to America in 1630 from England to the Jamestown colonies. My mother was born in Italy. What should I report, English, Italian or American ??
[/LEFT]
Yep. Some on my mother's father's side were from the Jamestown colonies, others from NE colonies, some later were Scots-Irish and came in the 1700s, and then mixed with American Indian...her great-grandfather did come from England in the 1800s...it's all too confusing. My dad's side is easier, all German and Bohemian (if you can call that easy!).

Old 09-17-2013, 11:12 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
It think the English American population is severely undercounted.
I agree.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:13 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
The report itself says it : "the number of people directly claiming to be English-American has dropped by 20 million since the 1980 U.S. Census because more citizens have started to identify themselves as American." [LEFT]

Also, how many times have you heard the expression "English-American" used in a forum, or other media ? You do hear all manner of other names (XXX-American). So I think, if asked, many times people will report their other predominate heritage, other than English.

My father's ancestor came to America in 1630 from England to the Jamestown colonies. My mother was born in Italy. What should I report, English, Italian or American ??
[/LEFT]

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
The vast majority of the people who chose 'American' are of predominately English ancestry.

Also, the English, Irish, and Germans all mixed extensively. You are probably hard pressed to find anyone in America who is exclusively descended from any of those three.
These.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy