Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 03:02 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,903,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Last names didn't exist a few hundred years ago. Looking at the percentages you posted, you're probably Jewish by conversion and not by lineage.

I took the 111 marker test and around 98% was from the Levant. I knew by lineage I was Mizrahi before the test even though I look Northern Italian (I guess that 2% is dominant for me).
Ah but how do you know for sure that there was no converts admixed into your lineage. DNA tests don't show what religion yours or ones ancestors were?

For example what if you were descended from ancient Phonecians that over time gradually converted to Judaism?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 09:23 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobreTodo View Post
Ah but how do you know for sure that there was no converts admixed into your lineage. DNA tests don't show what religion yours or ones ancestors were?

For example what if you were descended from ancient Phonecians that over time gradually converted to Judaism?
Since we can only compare to people that have taken some version of the DNA test, we basically have to stay within the last 100 years. After 1949 nearly all the Jews were removed from most of the Levant . My maternal line was east of Jerusalem and my paternal line was north of Jerusalem for 100's of years. After the 1949 Armistice their villages ended up in the West Bank and all Jews were evicted. Also nearly all the Jews from North Africa and the Middle East were also evicted. With that history in mind a high percentage is within Israel and an extremely low percentage are within other parts of the Levant (or the rest of the world). Thus from my perspective there are currently Muslims who were Jews at one time.

fwiw Phoenicia sat where Lebanon currently sits and going that far back is basically useless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy