U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 09:26 PM

845 posts, read 1,007,206 times

Advertisements

Most americans are mixed. Black americans are mixed with European, yet whites having african ancestry is often ignored. Do white americans embrace their African ancestry? Also, I just read something about Heather Locklear, who is blonde and blue eyed, having African ancestry.
Rate this post positively

Old 10-21-2013, 10:08 PM

803 posts, read 1,566,417 times
Some will, some won't. I think people would be more accepting now than twenty years ago, especially with personal genomics showing what they are truly made of.

I wouldn't be surprised if Heather's DNA results came out 100% European. Claims of non-white ancestry are often times a fashion statement, or an inaccuracy in the family tree.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:11 PM

1,661 posts, read 2,319,677 times
The amount of white Americans with African American ancestry isn't as much as media likes to make out. I don't see any reason to ignore it when it is there though. I know I will be attending my first NAACP meeting soon. I recently found out that I have a GGGG grandmother who was African American. Confirmed by DNA

Old 10-21-2013, 10:29 PM

25,057 posts, read 26,100,807 times
AFAIK, I'm one of the very few Puerto Ricans with zero African ancestry and very close to zero indigenous. But, I haven't taken a DNA test so I have no idea what the truth actually is

Old 10-21-2013, 10:36 PM

803 posts, read 1,566,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
The amount of white Americans with African American ancestry isn't as much as media likes to make out. I don't see any reason to ignore it when it is there though. I know I will be attending my first NAACP meeting soon. I recently found out that I have a GGGG grandmother who was African American. Confirmed by DNA

They may be referring to Dr. Mark Shriver's study from ten years ago. He sampled several thousand people and came to the conclusion that about 30% of White Americans have detectable African ancestry.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:42 PM

16,575 posts, read 14,809,563 times
I dam sure don't have any.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:47 PM

393 posts, read 1,429,837 times
"Should they...?" Why not? It is part of them/us. I wouldn't deny any of mine, though if I had to pick a color to describe myself, I'd choose brown.

Heather Locklear is descended from the Lumbee people, and there are different opinions about where their origins came from. Some people say Africa, some say Native American, some say Portuguese, some say a combination of some or all of them. Interesting research.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:30 PM
bjh

47,065 posts, read 27,412,807 times
First of all everyone has African ancestry as that's where the human species originated. That being said, tests like 23andMe state they're testing from about 500 years or ago, before people began spreading across the globe.

The reality is that most white Americans just don't have any recent African ancestry. Many black Americans do because of the way some "owners" behaved with their slaves. But most whites didn't own slaves and many didn't come into contact with blacks, if they lived in areas where blacks hadn't settled yet.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:31 PM

2,675 posts, read 4,952,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TribalCat View Post
"Should they...?" Why not? It is part of them/us. I wouldn't deny any of mine, though if I had to pick a color to describe myself, I'd choose brown.

Heather Locklear is descended from the Lumbee people, and there are different opinions about where their origins came from. Some people say Africa, some say Native American, some say Portuguese, some say a combination of some or all of them. Interesting research.
Yes the Lumbee are very interesting. They are more African and European than Native American. A lot of Lumbee don't have any Native American ancestry. There is a lot of controversy about them.

A Report on Research of Lumbee Origins by Robert K. Thomas – Part 15 – Lumbee Identify – Their View of Themselves | Native Heritage Project

GeneaBlogie: Can DNA Solve "The Lumbee Problem"?

Old 10-22-2013, 12:24 AM

34,495 posts, read 36,621,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASOT View Post
They may be referring to Dr. Mark Shriver's study from ten years ago. He sampled several thousand people and came to the conclusion that about 30% of White Americans have detectable African ancestry.
Probably not that high.

23AndMe:

Our Hidden African Ancestry | The 23andMe Blog

"Researchers at 23andMe looked at the genetic ancestry of about 78,000 customers likely to consider themselves as entirely of European ancestry and found that somewhere between 3 percent and 4 percent of those people have “hidden” African ancestry."

Of course, this is not a representative sample, since it is only people who have chosen to participate with 23AndMe. It also does not include people with a known African American ancestor, just those who did not expect the finding. We would have to know how Dr. Shriver's sample was selected in order to evaluate his conclusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.