Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2013, 02:50 PM

3,126 posts, read 5,050,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Their samples are spit, just so you know.

I think what probably has happened is that they hit a glitch with some scheduled update and had a higher than expected number of tests come in at the same time, hence the delay. They have FINALLY addressed this, barely, on their news feed, after numerous threads on the community site voicing frustration and irritation at their customer service recently.

https://customercare.23andme.com/home
I also think there was a SW release glitch. It could also be that some of their equipment malfunctioned and they had to get it repaired which threw the schedule off. I think it would be fascinating to tour their facility and see how they do what they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 02:55 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Veteran's Day is a holiday in California. So it actually took TWO business days to respond to your email.
You're assuming that I posted the OP the same day I sent in my email to 23andme. This is an erroneous assumption.

I sent the email at 6:29 am on November 6. I posted the OP November 11. I received a response from 23andme on November 11, which was five days after I sent it in. I noted this in post #2 of this thread.

This was six days after the email I sent in, which I sent in on a Wednesday morning before business hours. Veterans Day or no Veterans Day, I do think that a five day lag constitutes rather poor customer service. Add to that their unclear and misleading time frames in various places on their site, and it adds up to a pretty frustrating experience to many customers - I'm definitely not alone in my frustrations.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 11-14-2013 at 03:08 PM..

Old 11-14-2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Are you finding any people with Spanish surnames in your DNA Relatives list? You can definitely use that to get clues about your ethnicity while you are waiting. Your grandfather could have been a Mexican laborer who ended up in the midwest and changed his name, and maybe that is why you know so little about him, it was covered up and he tried to pass as an Anglo.
No, not a single Spanish surname that I can see. LOL, reading through these, I sound like the whitest person on the planet!

Literally, without exception, they are all UK names under the surname tab.

Old 11-14-2013, 03:02 PM

3,126 posts, read 5,050,140 times
Hmmm.... I got 6 Smiths in Surname tab and nothing else. I wonder if my relatives all became super spies or just made up names for the test. If they just made them up then they are not a particularly creative bunch.

Old 11-14-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
Hmmm.... I got 6 Smiths in Surname tab and nothing else. I wonder if my relatives all became super spies or just made up names for the test. If they just made them up then they are not a particularly creative bunch.
Very interesting. I have a TON of names in my surnames list. All of them are like the most common names in the world, which makes sense when you think about it. LOL.

The top ten are:

Walker
Patterson
Kirkpatrick
Berry
Thompson
Martin
Evans
Farmer
Jones
Sanders

The weird thing is - I only know of one of those names that close relatives have - Kirkpatrick.

Old 11-14-2013, 03:30 PM

THIS is why people are frustrated with 23andme:

From their FB page:

Quote:
"Are you almost done with the updates? My kit has been on step 5 of 6 for over 2 weeks now. I got my COA but not the actual genetic composition yet. I know you were doing updates and was wondering how much longer it should be."Yesterday at 15:12 near Commerce, GA

"We're not working on any updates that would delay you getting your results. However, the lab is very busy this time of year! Thanks for your patience." Yesterday at 15:50
https://www.facebook.com/23andMe?fref=ts

Meanwhile, I get this response:
Quote:
"Hello,

Thank you for contacting the 23andMe Team. Upon reviewing your account, I see that you have not yet received your Ancestry Composition results. This delay is related to the work being done for the Ancestry Composition population updates. You can learn more about this update here: https://www.23andme.com/you/community/thread/24912/. This is temporary, and your results should be available shortly, however we do not have an exact time line.

We appreciate your patience as we update this feature."
Then today on their Newsfeed:
Quote:
Ancestry Composition results may be delayed for some customers because of upcoming feature updates.

Grrrrr. This sort of conflicting information is what makes people think they're being misled.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 11-14-2013 at 04:03 PM..

Old 11-14-2013, 03:33 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,046,326 times
Quote:
Their samples are spit, just so you know.

I think what probably has happened is that they hit a glitch with some scheduled update and had a higher than expected number of tests come in at the same time, hence the delay. They have FINALLY addressed this, barely, on their news feed, after numerous threads on the community site voicing frustration and irritation at their customer service recently.

Spit? Really? That is amazing. All this time I thought you had to send them blood samples. (Another reason we have been waiting... )

I see runners spit on the sidewalk all the time and it has always grossed me out. Who knew all the bits of genetic and genealogical data about themselves they are plastering all over the areas where they run!?

That is so way cool. Thanks.

Old 11-14-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Spit? Really? That is amazing. All this time I thought you had to send them blood samples. (Another reason we have been waiting... )

I see runners spit on the sidewalk all the time and it has always grossed me out. Who knew all the bits of genetic and genealogical data about themselves they are plastering all over the areas where they run!?

That is so way cool. Thanks.
You're welcome.

You will be surprised at how long it takes you to spit a sufficient amount into the little vial they send. My husband and I wouldn't even do it around each other! LOL and we swap spit all the time!

Old 11-14-2013, 10:15 PM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,382,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
That's not the way it works. When it comes to ethnicity, you don't inherit exactly 25% from each grandparent - how much you inherit is totally random. ACOM explains it pretty well here: Why are my AncestryDNA ethnicity results different than I expected?

How DNA inheritance and other factors impact ethnicity

Sometimes ethnicity results may differ from what a person would expect based on their research. There are a few reasons why your ethnicity may not be exactly what you expected:

Your DNA is inherited through the generations

Even though about half of your DNA is inherited from your mother and half from your father, each half is variable and can result in many unique combinations. Since each parent may pass 0 to 50% of an ethnicity down to their children, when you factor that out over a few hundred years and several generations, you may share little or no DNA in common with a specific ancestor.

In the example below, there are four 2nd Great Grandparents who each have DNA that is 50% of a designated ethnicity. You can see that over time, due to the way that DNA inheritance works, your ratio of inherited ethnicity can vary significantly by the time their DNA reaches you.

Since everyone gets an equal number of genes, I'm wondering if this doesn't refer to the percentage of dominant genes, versus recessive ones.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:16 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,163,215 times
Quote:
Very interesting. I have a TON of names in my surnames list. All of them are like the most common names in the world, which makes sense when you think about it. LOL.

The top ten are:

Walker
Patterson
Kirkpatrick
Berry
Thompson
Martin
Evans
Farmer
Jones
Sanders

The weird thing is - I only know of one of those names that close relatives have - Kirkpatrick.
This even further makes me think that you will have a lot of shadow ancestry.

Kirkpatrick is somewhat new to me. I do know Farmer is southern US. At least certain branches.

The rest are all very common names. Coupled with your mtDNA haplogroup I predict a lot of non-specific and unassigned DNA in Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy