Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 11:32 AM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,079 posts, read 30,387,317 times

Advertisements

Where have you traveled for genealogy?

Or have you just happened to visit somewhere while on the road?

Have you gone to any of the research centers, like at Salt Lake?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 12:46 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,143,960 times
More trips to Salt Lake than I can count. One of the "advantages?" of having ancestry on the west coast, is they trickled their way across the country. So I can go pretty much anywhere and do some research.

I used to travel a lot to genealogical conferences, and combine them with an extra week or so of research. And trips just for research, as well. Trips just for genealogy have been to: Texas, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, Missouri, Mississippi, Alabama, Massachusetts, California, Idaho, Washington, Minnesota, Iowa, Florida, Georgia.

Trips where I'd have to say I "just happened" to visit are all International: to England, Scotland, Switzerland, and Norway.

Old 12-29-2013, 01:31 PM

37,112 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Just Georgia, South Carolina, and Alabama.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:09 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,032,173 times
Ohio, where a small, back-of-beyond town (Deavertown) is named for my ancestors who settled it. Back to my native western Illinois, where I discovered several surnames who settled the area in the 1820s. Researching at the history museum in the town where most of those surnames merged, I expressed a bit of shock to the docent "do the people in this town realize how interbred they are?" Goodness. I'm glad my parents took us kids out of that area. It gave us a chance to introduce new blood to our line.

I plan to visit Virginia later this year, a trip just a couple hours north of where I live now. Been here going on 24 years and never realized how many times I rode my motorcycle through towns inhabited by ancestors a couple hundred years ago. Hopefully Maryland, perhaps up to Valley Forge, PA. I have a number of Maryland ancestors who fought in the Revolutionary War and one who played a significant role at Valley Forge. It gave me a good reason to brush up on a segment of American history that I haven't dwelt on since I was in school.

I visited the Midwest Genealogy Center in Independence, Missouri, but only had a few hours to look around. The breadth of documentation there made my brain spin. I hope to get back there one day (family lives there - free board ) to take advantage of their resources.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:10 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Northern Vermont, parts of New Hampshire, parts of Rhode Island. On the other side: England.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:23 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Where have you traveled for genealogy?

Or have you just happened to visit somewhere while on the road?

Have you gone to any of the research centers, like at Salt Lake?
A little bit of both. I've been to VA, TN, SC, NC, KY, KS and AR on vacation and partly for research. I still want to get to MA and CT to do more research. Family on both sides have been in the US since the 1500s and so much history to unravel!

I've been past the center in Salt Lake City but never with anyone interested enough to let me stop and do some serious research. Maybe next vacation...

Old 12-29-2013, 08:05 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,874,219 times
I haven't gone far yet, at least not far from where I am/was living at the time I visited. While living in England, I went to Royton, where one branch was from but this was only about a half hour drive from where I was living. While here in PA, I have travelled around Bucks and Montgomery Counties and Philadelphia but all are in the general Philly area and no more than day trips.

I think my first real trip will probably be to Colonial Williamsburg because I have ancestors who settled there in colonial times. It wasn't called Williamsburg at the time, I think it was called Middle Planation. No wonder they changed it. Anyway, it should be a good trip - Colonial Williamsburg is supposed to be good in general and now that we know we have ancestry there as well, it should be extra cool.

Other places on the list to visit are Hopkinsville, Kentucky; Norway, Wisconsin; Farsund, Norway; Pittsburgh and Saxonburg, PA; Lisbon, Ohio; Pachino, Sicily; Monteroduni, Italy, Rheinland, Germany.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:12 PM

37,112 posts, read 41,261,487 times
I forgot to mention CT for hubby's side, but that was only a drive through with a stop at a few cemeteries. Not real research.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:26 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
I have gone through places in Lancaster, Berks, Bucks and Montgomery Counties jn Pennsylvania; Rowlandsville, MD, and southern Ohio, Colonial Williamsburg.

Places I need to go: northern Kentucky, Cuba, Haiti, Canary Islands, Russia, Poland, Ukraine, Alsace, Nigeria, Senegal, Cameroon.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:57 PM

393 posts, read 1,497,160 times
Since I was adopted at birth and grew up with no knowledge of my birth family, my genealogical/birth search travels include a trip to central California to see the clinic where I was born, a trip to the Los Angeles Family History Center, and a flight over to Hawai'i to meet my birthmom, two of my half-sisters and some other relatives. I still want to visit Cuba, Puerto Rico, the Basque Country of Spain and France, Norway, the Philippines and China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy