U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2013, 10:36 PM

6,941 posts, read 9,066,176 times

Advertisements

I got these results about a year ago. I just thought it wouldn't hurt to share them on here.

Here are my haplogroups. For those who aren't familiar of what they are, these are what you inherit from your parents. All of us(male and female) inherit our mtDNA from our biological mother. This passes down from generation to generation. Males inherit a Y DNA from their biological fathers in the same fashion. Since females are XX, while males are XY, females don't inherit the Y chromosome. Thus, they don't have a paternal haplogroup.

Maternal haplogroup(mtDNA)

This comes to no surprise. I'm a New World black where the likelihood of me to descend from an African mother is very high.

Paternal haplogroup(Y DNA)

This comes at a huge surprise. Most NWB males descend from an African father. I, however, inherited my Y DNA from an European male. This particular haplogroup is carried by imperialist men who managed to colonize the Americas in the last 400 years. I don't know if mine come from an indentured servant or a slave holder. You know the conception we have of relationships between slaves and slave masters. I have't done any paper trail being that my father's family is from the Caribbean. I do know that this particular is in high percentage among males on the island my father is from.

Ancestral painting

Now, this is where things get juicy. This comprises of all of my chromosomes, all 48 of them. It's called an autosomal reading. My results don't come to any surprise since most New World Blacks are of biracial descent. My European ancestry is most certainly Northern European(English/Scottish). I'm wary of the .2% South Asian. McDonald said that it's real. I don't even know how it could be possible from a historical context. South Asians weren't an intricate part of our colonial history. I do know that they did, however, disperse throughout Europe. Britain has had relationship with the sub continent for centuries. If this percentage isn't statistical noise, it could very well much be from an European source from my family tree who had significant South Asian ancestry.

McDonald results

These are my McDonald paintings. These are from his calculators that go a little deeper of what 23andme reports.

Most likely fit is 12.6% (+- 0.1%) Europe (various subcontinents)

and 87.4% (+- 0.1%) Africa (all West African)

The following are possible population sets and their fractions,

most likely at the top

English= 0.126 Yoruba= 0.874 or

Irish= 0.126 Yoruba= 0.874 or

Hungary= 0.127 Yoruba= 0.873 or

French= 0.127 Yoruba= 0.873 or

Romania= 0.128 Yoruba= 0.872 or

Belorus= 0.126 Yoruba= 0.874 or

Lithuani= 0.124 Yoruba= 0.876 or

Spain= 0.127 Yoruba= 0.873

with English being most likely. There is also very tiny (0.3%) possibly real S. Asian.

The Mideast on the chromosomes is noise.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 10:43 PM

62,754 posts, read 51,237,330 times
Your color wheel is a lot prettier than mine. Mine is 100 percent blue and about 98 percent dark blue at that.

I'm the whitest person I know.

My husband, with his blonde hair and blue eyes and very Aryan looking features (think Nazi poster child looks!) is actually about 2 percent sub Saharan African, and about 1 percent Native American! I got a kick out of telling his mother that!

(Yes, I'm bad.)

Old 12-31-2013, 10:55 PM

6,941 posts, read 9,066,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Your color wheel is a lot prettier than mine. Mine is 100 percent blue and about 98 percent dark blue at that.

I'm the whitest person I know.

My husband, with his blonde hair and blue eyes and very Aryan looking features (think Nazi poster child looks!) is actually about 2 percent sub Saharan African, and about 1 percent Native American! I got a kick out of telling his mother that!

(Yes, I'm bad.)
Does he know where his Sub Saharan comes from?

Old 01-01-2014, 07:03 PM

62,754 posts, read 51,237,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Does he know where his Sub Saharan comes from?
No - and no clue whatsoever in the family tree that we know of.

Old 01-02-2014, 05:40 PM

5,546 posts, read 7,656,606 times
Question on 23 and me reading

My reading came back 20% British/Irish.

Can anyone tell me what the 20% British Irish means? I mean who or what?

thanks

Old 01-02-2014, 05:52 PM

25,105 posts, read 24,844,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post

thanks
That's my question too. Like, from WHEN? 500 years ago? I don't think that is possible but that's what it seems to say. I am 99.9% northern European but that is going way back. But I have the 20% British Irish.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:28 PM

5,546 posts, read 7,656,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
That's my question too. Like, from WHEN? 500 years ago? I don't think that is possible but that's what it seems to say. I am 99.9% northern European but that is going way back. But I have the 20% British Irish.
or do they mean Picts? Scotti? Britains? etc?

And mine is similar to yours. 98+% Northern European of which 20% is British/Irish, 1+% Native American.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:07 PM

25,105 posts, read 24,844,131 times
Quote:

And mine is similar to yours. 98+% Northern European of which 20% is British/Irish, 1+% Native American.
That too. What I'm wondering is that I KNOW my ancestry back to about 1630 on one side and it is those old Puritan English from East Anglia and that general area. That would account for about 50% of my ancestry for over 400 years. Yet it seems to say that 500 years ago I was only 20% British Irish. It would have been AT LEAST 50%=one entire side of my family. It's unlikely that the 30% descrepancy occurred in less than 100 years and some of those Puritan families were proven to have been in England much longer.

My other side is English too--but I can't be positive that they were in England 500 years ago, although I know a few were. It can't mean that's what we were 500 years ago. It must mean thousands of years ago. I don't know if they ever narrowed it down to Angles, Saxons, Picts, Scots, Britains, or whatever else. More information is needed.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:21 PM

34,493 posts, read 36,615,321 times
Quote:

thanks
Quote:

Your results indicate that you have genes that have been associated with people living in England and Ireland. Those genes go back about 500 years, before travel across the Atlantic was common. Obviously, the genes go back even further --- to your earliest ancestors, but for our purposes, about 500 years. This is based on information from people in the database who know where their ancestors came from.

It will not tell you where specific ancestors came from. You still have to do the traditional genealogy research to do that.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:24 PM

34,493 posts, read 36,615,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
That too. What I'm wondering is that I KNOW my ancestry back to about 1630 on one side and it is those old Puritan English from East Anglia and that general area. That would account for about 50% of my ancestry for over 400 years. Yet it seems to say that 500 years ago I was only 20% British Irish. It would have been AT LEAST 50%=one entire side of my family. It's unlikely that the 30% descrepancy occurred in less than 100 years and some of those Puritan families were proven to have been in England much longer.

My other side is English too--but I can't be positive that they were in England 500 years ago, although I know a few were. It can't mean that's what we were 500 years ago. It must mean thousands of years ago. I don't know if they ever narrowed it down to Angles, Saxons, Picts, Scots, Britains, or whatever else. More information is needed.
How many lines have you been able to trace back that far?

If your family has been in America that long, I suspect there has been some mixture with other groups besides Puritans from East Anglia over that time.

Your mitochondrial DNA (female) or Y DNA (male) can give you an idea of deep ancestry --- but only for one line for women and two for men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy