Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 06:47 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times

Advertisements

48% Swedish
35% Norway
14% England, Wales and NW Europe
2% Germanic Europe
1% Finland

I guess the next bucket list trip should be to Scandinavia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 10:02 AM

67 posts, read 61,541 times
My B&I decreased 2%
F&G increased 14%
Sardinian disappeared
Finnish disappeared
Eastern Euro disappeared
SSA became more detailed

Old 01-25-2019, 05:47 PM

118 posts, read 85,969 times
I just received my Results from 23andMe. I am only beginning to attempt to understand what all the information that 23andMe has on their website. My younger brother got his done a few months ago and that prompted me to get mine done. Anyway here is Mine.

European
Eastern European 46%
Belarus, Poland

French& German 10.8%

Scandinavian 9.6%
Denmark and Sweden

British and Irish 9.3%
UnitedKingdom, Ireland

Greek and Balkan 1.2%

Broadly Northwestern European 19.9%

Broadly European 3.1%

Sub-SaharanAfrican 0.1%

Ghanaian,Liberian & Sierra Leonean 0.1%

EastAsian & Native American 0.1%

Broadly Northern Asian & Native American 0.1%

Our results were similar as far as country/region but the percentages varied.

Any input will be gladly accepted.
Any question ask 'em.

This is my first post in the Genealogy forum. Interesting stuff.

TU

Old 01-26-2019, 01:27 PM

9,523 posts, read 16,503,270 times
Ancestry.com results
97% Ireland. 3% NW Europe, England, Wales

I was not surprised at all by my results. Im very happy being Irish.

Old 01-31-2019, 05:31 AM

237 posts, read 124,650 times
Updated 23andMe results, without the nonspecific 'Broadly' percentages --

French & German 39.7% (Germany)
British & Irish 25.0% (United Kingdom, Ireland)
Scandinavian 4.9% (Denmark)
Eastern European 1.4% (Poland, Russia)
Sardinian 0.2%

The increased German is accurate, and my late mother's results are now close to 70% German, which makes sense. However, they took away Norwegian in my ancestry even though it's documented, and even though my mother's and late maternal grandmother's 23andMe results still show Norwegian properly (grandmohter's being close to 20%, right down to Hordaland on the map, which is where her grandfather came from).

I'd give AncestryDNA the slight edge these days in terms of accuracy. Both at least now show my German ancestry in significantly higher percentages than they used to. My mom was close to 100% German with just one Norwegian relative and some Central European DNA from a Hutterite/Mennonite line.

Old 02-14-2019, 07:21 AM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
Recently got my parents Ancestry results back and have uploaded them to MyHeritage. Has anyone seen a significant difference in their results?

My dad's results at Ancestry show 43% Norway (with genetic circles in two regions), 21% English, 9% Germanic Europe, 9% Sweden, 5% Ireland, 3% Baltic States and 2% Eastern Europe/Russia.

His MyHeritage shows 74.1% North and West Europe, 11.6% Ashkenazi Jewish, 1.9% Eastern Europe, 1.7% Italian and 10.7% Sephardic Jew.

We are aware of the Jewish ancestry, but this is the first time I've seen Sephardic as the family we have identified as being Jewish is from Poland. Does anyone know more about the regions that MyHeritage uses? Maybe these are more ancient results? I just can't imagine going back in that direction with his Jewish roots, although I know more about Sephardic history then I do about Ashkenazi history.

Old 02-14-2019, 09:16 AM

6,999 posts, read 11,293,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Recently got my parents Ancestry results back and have uploaded them to MyHeritage. Has anyone seen a significant difference in their results?

My dad's results at Ancestry show 43% Norway (with genetic circles in two regions), 21% English, 9% Germanic Europe, 9% Sweden, 5% Ireland, 3% Baltic States and 2% Eastern Europe/Russia.

His MyHeritage shows 74.1% North and West Europe, 11.6% Ashkenazi Jewish, 1.9% Eastern Europe, 1.7% Italian and 10.7% Sephardic Jew.

We are aware of the Jewish ancestry, but this is the first time I've seen Sephardic as the family we have identified as being Jewish is from Poland. Does anyone know more about the regions that MyHeritage uses? Maybe these are more ancient results? I just can't imagine going back in that direction with his Jewish roots, although I know more about Sephardic history then I do about Ashkenazi history.
Yes, the difference between my personal Ancestry and MyHeritage results were significant. Ancestry has me as mostly British Isles/Germany/European Jewish. MyHeritage says mostly Sweden/Italy/Ashkenazi Jewish. Based on my family tree, Ancestry is correct and MyHeritage is way off.

I am surprised to see such a difference in the Jewish results though. One company claiming a person is about 20% Jewish, while the other says 0% isn't something I have seen. Strange...

Old 02-14-2019, 09:33 AM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Yes, the difference between my personal Ancestry and MyHeritage results were significant. Ancestry has me as mostly British Isles/Germany/European Jewish. MyHeritage says mostly Sweden/Italy/Ashkenazi Jewish. Based on my family tree, Ancestry is correct and MyHeritage is way off.

I am surprised to see such a difference in the Jewish results though. One company claiming a person is about 20% Jewish, while the other says 0% isn't something I have seen. Strange...
I know it. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Old 02-15-2019, 05:24 AM

1,665 posts, read 973,349 times
Ancestry

France 66%
Native American (Chitimacha) 13%
England, Wales, BE Europe 10%
German 10%
Italy 10%
Greece, Balkans 1%
Portugal 1%
Mali 1%
Benin 1%
Senegal 1%

Old 02-18-2019, 08:21 AM

9,523 posts, read 16,503,270 times
How far back do these results go back. I didn't quite understand with Ancestry.com. is it several hundred years. Or 1900.

I wonder how many get results like I did 97% Irish? Evidently my ancestors didn't mingle, among other populations much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy