Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 12:09 PM

2,088 posts, read 2,976,157 times

Advertisements

I found the dnapainter site before you posted it. Thank you. I'm sure I already know she's my half sibling. I have info where it looks like it fits with what I know. Message has been sent to her. We'll see …
I needed some excitement in my life anyway. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2019, 05:34 PM

2,788 posts, read 7,981,852 times
My late sister and I were always interested in our ancestry----African-American with a lot of obvious European traits and stories of native American lineage. after years of research that only allowed me to go back 4 or 5 generations I finally did an Ancestry.com dan test. No indicating indigenous american blood but curiously 1% Philippines. Could that last entry possibly be a misread of Native American/East Asian sources?
Attached Thumbnails
Share your 23andme, Ancestry, etc. results!-untitled.jpeg  

Old 04-08-2019, 01:47 PM

10,194 posts, read 17,731,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
My late sister and I were always interested in our ancestry----African-American with a lot of obvious European traits and stories of native American lineage. after years of research that only allowed me to go back 4 or 5 generations I finally did an Ancestry.com dan test. No indicating indigenous american blood but curiously 1% Philippines. Could that last entry possibly be a misread of Native American/East Asian sources?
At only 1%, it could just be noise, like a false positive.

Old 04-14-2019, 08:37 AM

67,666 posts, read 60,184,669 times
Not sure if I shared this yet but my husband and I just found out that we are fifth cousins - LOL.

He said "That sort of turns me on." That's what happens when two people with ancestors from Louisiana get hitched. I should have seen this coming!

Ok true story:

He is a native Texan and I am originally from New Orleans. But a couple of dates into our relationship, we realized that both of us had lots of ties to a very small town in north Louisiana, of all things. I actually called my dad, who was the "family genealogist" and said, "I'm not related to this guy, am I?" He assured me that we weren't related, though our families had known each other several generations back.

Apparently someone knew someone in the biblical sense! But at least they're both dead and gone and we're fifth cousins, not first or second cousins!

Old 04-14-2019, 12:44 PM

9,898 posts, read 15,466,501 times
My daughter and son-in-law have the same ancestor 9 generations back. The woman was from a small town in New Hampshire.

Old 04-15-2019, 08:46 AM

KA that's too funny!

Well I always said I was half English and half Irish.

50% England, Wales and NW Europe.
48% Ireland and Scotland
2% Sweden
2% Norway

I heard back from my newly discovered half sister. We talked for over an hour. Very excited to meet soon. She didn't even know her father's name so I was thrilled to be able to fill in the blanks. I've always had a younger half sister, now I have a big half sister. Feels good.

Old 04-15-2019, 11:23 AM

67,666 posts, read 60,184,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdurncat13 View Post
KA that's too funny!

Well I always said I was half English and half Irish.

50% England, Wales and NW Europe.
48% Ireland and Scotland
2% Sweden
2% Norway

I heard back from my newly discovered half sister. We talked for over an hour. Very excited to meet soon. She didn't even know her father's name so I was thrilled to be able to fill in the blanks. I've always had a younger half sister, now I have a big half sister. Feels good.
That is so cool! I'm so glad you are happy about it and things seem to be going well!

I bet that Swedish and Norwegian stuff is Viking stuff - that's what I think mine is. I also found out that am about 2 percent Finnish. Interesting!

My husband is definitely a bigger chunk of Irish than I am - and he has the Irish last name to vouch for it. Though I have a German maiden name but only am about 15 percent German - LOL. But my husband was always told that he was largely Irish, and his DNA verified that. I am mostly Scottish and English with a chunk of German and French (Northern England and Scotland, and German/French along the German/French border). So having always been drawn to Ireland, I was happy that his DNA was so largely from Ireland. We are planning to visit Scotland and Ireland probably next year. He actually lived in Scotland for a year and I am sort of jealous of that!

I have no Welsh blood in me. I do have some NW European in me, though my husband and I are both predominately English/Scottish and Irish. Both about 70 percent UK and/or Irish.

I am 100 percent European with only 2 percent "unspecified as to the region" - could be any part of Europe. However, my very Nordic looking husband is about 3 percent western African! That was a surprise to both of us. But his Irish ancestors immigrated to Louisiana and his family was in Louisiana for a long time - so there's no telling what all is mixed up in there. He also has a smattering of Jewish and southern European in him, but no northern African, which was surprising. Anyway, he's a Cajun -I should have known it due to his crawfish eating skills! Actually I did know it - it's how we are related distantly - LOL

Old 04-15-2019, 01:16 PM

Whoops, 46% Ireland and Scotland. Not 48 lol. my wonderful math skills didn't catch that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy