Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 06:43 AM

4,993 posts, read 5,294,120 times

Advertisements

I hope this is ok to post here. Someone pasted this obituary to a genealogy group this morning. I don't know this man, but the his story made me laugh. I felt that this family did a great job in characterizing their loved one. I love the life story and the writing style. This is sort of how I 'attempt' to write some of my family stories. I use more details in my story because I'm not paying by the word.

https://www.schluterbalikfuneralhome...TDLAk9evWqtUoA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2019, 06:53 AM

2,105 posts, read 3,013,145 times
What a great obit. His family did good.

Old 04-03-2019, 08:59 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
He sounded like an a$$.

Is that really how you want to be remembered?

Old 04-04-2019, 08:19 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times
I love it! Made me wish I had known him.

I'm actually planning on writing my own obituary and I will put in it how my family thinks I've very vain and I don't trust them to do a good write up about me so I decided to do it myself.....from the beyond (do-do-do-do - in my Twilight Zone voice lol). My husband actually gets upset at me because I do talk of my funeral a lot and I don't trust him to do a good obit should I die before him. I'm also a better writer than most of my family members.

My husband thinks my family has a morbid fascination with death because we actually talk a lot about our funerals and obituaries. My mom wants us to play "pop goes the weasel" at her funeral prior to starting the service just to make sure she's dead because she promises she'll pop up at the end if she's alive!

My grandmother wanted a gold and silver casket and a horse drawn carriage at her funeral similar to the scene from "Imitation of Life." Before she died she said we didn't have to do the horse and carriage but that she wanted the gold and silver casket and for us to put her in her "good wig" lol. She also didn't want certain people to sing at her funeral and left instructions for us to tell them if they did, because she loved them, that they better open their dam mouths and sing like she knew they could and not like some scared sh** bird lol. I made sure to let them know this before the service and they sang their hearts out. She had been the choir director at her church and black funerals - the music is always the best part and she didn't want them to mess up her homegoing with their BS. LOL I really miss my grandmother. In her honor for the music at my funeral I will include her favorite funeral song "Blessed Assurance" even thought it is very religious and I'm not religious. It will be in honor of her as my ancestor. I also want some Stevie Wonder songs played (especially "Higher Ground") and some negro spirituals sung (especially "Hold On"). My husband rolls his eyes at me every time I speak of it but the kids are used to me talking about my funeral now like I was with my family at their ages.

Old 04-04-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
He sounded like an a$$.

His obituary reminds me of someone you meet who has a rough exterior. As you get to know them, you find out they have some good qualities. After a while, you find that person quite enduring.

Old 04-04-2019, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
His obituary reminds me of someone you meet who has a rough exterior. As you get to know them, you find out they have some good qualities. After a while, you find that person quite enduring.
I meant 'endearing' not 'enduring'. Too late for an edit.

Old 04-05-2019, 08:35 AM

5,329 posts, read 6,022,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
He sounded like an a$$.

Yes. His obituary makes it abundantly clear how much he was loved by his family.

Old 04-05-2019, 09:28 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,473,679 times
I love this!

Tim leaves behind a hell of a lot of stuff that his family doesn't know what to do with. So, if you are looking for a Virgin Mary in a bathtub shrine (you Catholics know what we’re talking about) you should wait the appropriate amount of time and get in touch with them.Tomorrow would be fine.

Old 04-05-2019, 09:34 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,473,679 times
It's interesting how they reference some of the standard lines from obituaries. I have a friend who survived breast cancer. During her treatment, she said in no uncertain terms that if she didn't make it, she did not want her obit to say that she "fought a courageous battle with cancer." She said it was not courageous -- it sucked and left her in a depressed withered heap, agonizing in a state of pain and fear. To this day she really hates it when people say that. I have never had cancer so I can't relate, but it has made me not want to phrase things in those terms.

Old 04-05-2019, 05:39 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
It's interesting how they reference some of the standard lines from obituaries. I have a friend who survived breast cancer. During her treatment, she said in no uncertain terms that if she didn't make it, she did not want her obit to say that she "fought a courageous battle with cancer." She said it was not courageous -- it sucked and left her in a depressed withered heap, agonizing in a state of pain and fear. To this day she really hates it when people say that. I have never had cancer so I can't relate, but it has made me not want to phrase things in those terms.
There was one that went viral sometime ago that said something like the decedent fought a weak and cowardly battle with cancer. They said he had a good sense of humor and wanted that line in his obit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy