Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 01:47 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,535,175 times

Advertisements

I wasn't sure where to post this, I thought this might be an appropriate forum, since it kind of relates to my mother's history, and years from now, could relate to genealogy... She was born in 1922, that's almost a 100 years ago! She passed last year, and I'm trying to declutter my apartment. My brother has much of her stuff, but I have some. I have her yearbooks, photo albums, love letters from when she was in the military. I'm wondering if some historian type would be interested? I would feel bad throwing it in the trash, but then again, as much as I loved her, I really have no use for her old yearbooks. Ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 02:26 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,336,083 times
Her old school might want them, or the local library. I would scan and keep anything you are interested in for the upcoming generations.

Good luck!

Old 01-17-2014, 02:40 PM

20,058 posts, read 18,220,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Her old school might want them, or the local library. I would scan and keep anything you are interested in for the upcoming generations.

Good luck!
Great idea and good advice!

I second this post!!

Old 01-17-2014, 03:38 PM

12,047 posts, read 10,180,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
I wasn't sure where to post this, I thought this might be an appropriate forum, since it kind of relates to my mother's history, and years from now, could relate to genealogy... She was born in 1922, that's almost a 100 years ago! She passed last year, and I'm trying to declutter my apartment. My brother has much of her stuff, but I have some. I have her yearbooks, photo albums, love letters from when she was in the military. I'm wondering if some historian type would be interested? I would feel bad throwing it in the trash, but then again, as much as I loved her, I really have no use for her old yearbooks. Ideas?
Send them to her old school. Look them up on Facebook. Her military unit also. Our school had their centennial last year and they would have loved to have artifacts such as these.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:14 PM
bjh

59,746 posts, read 30,185,187 times
That reminds me. I need to ask my mom if I can have her yearbook someday.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:30 PM

2,696 posts, read 3,751,895 times
The school (if it is still around) or the local library in the area may want the yearbooks. I would definitely make an effort to to place them with an organization that would like them or sell them online if you wish to bother. Sometimes there is a demand for old yearbooks.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:33 PM

147 posts, read 176,541 times
If the library doesn't want them, there are yearbook buyers -- some if there are famous folks in there, but I think for the most part it fits into the category of replacing for those who have lost theirs. I've used one in the past around 10 years ago, but cannot recall the name. A general search brings up a few buyers/sellers.

Old 01-18-2014, 11:11 AM

36,971 posts, read 40,923,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
Your mother's home town historical society might like to have them, too. That's who I would contact first. Her photos, for example, may include other local citizens and show her town as it was when she was growing up. The letters give a glimpse into a time when being in the military was unusual for a woman.

Old 01-18-2014, 12:14 PM

26,637 posts, read 28,442,766 times
I hate to say this but if all else fails, there is always ebay. Someone from another part of the country who has moved away could be interested in the yearbooks, or the children of a person from the town, who are doing genealogy. They might be looking for pictures of the person or background information about what it was like growing up. This would be one way of reaching out to people who no longer live in the area.

Old 01-18-2014, 03:18 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,165,541 times
My mom had letters from the war from dad, and I knew where they were. I went to get them after she died but I guess dad had already gotten them. I never found them, not even in his stuff. I would dearly love to have something written in mom and dad's hand to hold and touch now that both are long gone. A letter is a wonderful thing to have to remember.

And if you don't feel like you want them please find someone who will take them. Watch the Ken Burns docomentary "The War' on netflix. All the words about the war are from real people who lived through the time, at home waiting or in the military, and it makes it an experience which can be shared with future generations. It is my favorite of his works since its so personal.

One family found a box in the attic and it had old paper in it. They decided to read it and it was a complete collection of letters from a union officer to his wife and her letters back from the civil war. They will of course keep it, but what a wonderful thing to publish as a personal history of one family in their own words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy