U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 12:23 PM

944 posts, read 1,694,343 times

Advertisements

We have found a possible illegitimate child in our family tree - my great-grandfather's kid. I know his birth and death dates, and obviously his fathers name. I do not have his mother's name and am hoping that I can get a birth certificate that names her. He doesn't show up on the census in 1930 or 1940 that I can find (he was a child then, born 1926).

To request the birth record I need to mail a notarized request to Missouri. I am wondering if they would even approve it, given that he's my great-great uncle and I don't know what city in MO he was born in. Do you think this is problematic?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 02:09 PM

9,752 posts, read 15,628,580 times
If the person is deceased and you can provide a copy of their death certificate, you may be able to obtain a certified copy of their birth certificate even if you're not an immediate relative or legal representative. This is the case in PA, I can't say for Missouri and their department of health/vital records website is appallingly uninformative so you should contact them and ask before sending your request with the fee.

Have you already checked this collection?: https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1680833

Old 01-21-2014, 02:31 PM

29,300 posts, read 20,003,115 times
Try this site for old MO birth records:

Obtaining Certified Copies of Vital Records | Vital Records | Health & Senior Services

There are steps outlined there to get birth records.

I got a copy of my birth certificate from MO several years ago with no problem. Apparently there is some overlap with local health departments, which I know used to issue birth certificates. But the birth certificate that I needed came from the state capital, Jefferson City. I assume you have the person's full name?

If you don't have all of the information requested. I'd call the number at the bottom of the page to explain your situation. You can't be the onlyl person in the world that needs info like you do for genealogy.

My experience with the people in Jeff City has been very good.

Good luck!

Old 01-21-2014, 02:45 PM

9,752 posts, read 15,628,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post

Obtaining Certified Copies of Vital Records | Vital Records | Health & Senior Services

But they don't outline the steps required to order a birth certificate of someone who is not your immediate relative or the birth certificate of someone deceased. I can't imagine just anyone can order a certified copy of anyone else's birth certificate, especially of someone living, in the state of MO - there would be no protection against identity theft. If the individual is deceased, it might be easy for anyone to obtain it but not all states make birth certificates of deceased individuals available to the public so they should make this clear on their website, in addition to clarifying whether a copy of the death certificate is required. None of this is detailed on their website so it is not clear whether birth certificates of a deceased person can be ordered by a non-immediate relative or not. Thus, the OP still need to contact them directly and ask.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:30 PM

944 posts, read 1,694,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
If the person is deceased and you can provide a copy of their death certificate, you may be able to obtain a certified copy of their birth certificate even if you're not an immediate relative or legal representative. This is the case in PA, I can't say for Missouri and their department of health/vital records website is appallingly uninformative so you should contact them and ask before sending your request with the fee.

Have you already checked this collection?: https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1680833
I have checked that collection, none of the kids (illegitimate or not) show up.
I think I will have the same problem about getting the death cert. He actually died in 1991, 30 miles away from where I currently live, BUT they appear to be pretty strict about the immediate relative thing here in Oregon, moreso than MO. He has no immediate relatives because he never married and never had children and his parents and (likely) siblings are long dead.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:27 PM

29,300 posts, read 20,003,115 times
I'd call the number at the bottom of the linked page and ask for help. There have to be accommodations made for genealogical research.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:58 PM

14,545 posts, read 19,452,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post

I got a copy of my birth certificate from MO several years ago with no problem. Apparently there is some overlap with local health departments, which I know used to issue birth certificates. But the birth certificate that I needed came from the state capital, Jefferson City. I assume you have the person's full name?

If you don't have all of the information requested. I'd call the number at the bottom of the page to explain your situation. You can't be the onlyl person in the world that needs info like you do for genealogy.

My experience with the people in Jeff City has been very good.

Good luck!
Counties differ in their approach as well. My son got his with a visit to the office and it was mailed within a week, with a reasonable fee. Mine, for ONE copy would cost a combined series if fees is 110 dollars. It's sixty a copy. This is undoubtedly lining the county coffers quite well. There is a fee to send in the application, you have to have your Id verifed by someone certified, that was thiry five, and a 'search fee'. I assume this was a search on the computer.

It took almost six months to get too. I wish others better luck but ask what they require when you call.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:48 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,142,927 times
Do you have his social security number from the on-line SSDI? You can request his SS5 (original Social Security application) which asks for names of parents.
Instructions: U.S. Social Security Records for Genealogists | Learn | FamilySearch.org
It does cost $27., and can take a few months to arrive in the mail.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:30 AM
bjh

42,310 posts, read 26,556,981 times
Some Missouri vital states are online from the state itself so they're free.

For Death certs 1910-1962 --> Missouri Digital Heritage : Death Records Certificates

For some Birth and Death certs before 1919 --> Missouri Digital Heritage : Birth and Death Records

Old 01-22-2014, 06:16 AM

16,260 posts, read 15,081,351 times
I got my late fathers Death Cert from England no problem. had to pay for it though... and it took three days for delivery... I never met my father and wanted his medical records also.... I was sent the costs of these but left it too late to apply. as I was told they get destroyed after so many years..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy