Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 08:35 AM

532 posts, read 1,068,253 times

Advertisements

I would add that, until yesterday, I never knew that I had a black ancestor. And yet, throughout all my life, since I was like, 12, I've championed the cause of black people, been drawn to them, loved them, fought for them, written in their behalf and felt passionately the injustice of racism.

How can my behavior be linked to knowledge that I did not possess until yesterday, in my 63rd year of life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
This is the genealogy forum and this topic is about DNA, so naturally we are discussing ethnicity, not nationality. They are not one in the same. Obviously, my nationality is American, but my heritage and genetic ethnicity is mostly British, Italian, German, and Norwegian. It's there, in my blood, and no amount of denial or confusing ethnicity with nationality will remove it. Do you have anything useful to actually contribute about genetic ethnicity? If not, I wonder why you even bothered to open the genealogy section, open this topic, and respond?

Let's not be mean to each other, or jump to conclusions? That person might just have been expressing a general sense of the inclusiveness of all humanity. I think we all need to quit reacting in an unkind fashion to people, at least with such immediacy.

Of course, "Native American" refers to those people who were already living on this continent when the Europeans arrived. Everyone knows that.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:49 AM

400 posts, read 575,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaustin View Post
It was discussed in another thread why some white-looking people are drawn to NA culture and want the ancestry. That this occurs because of a feeling of closeness to the land is a great idea; my theory always was that some people feel having NA ancestry is romantic and somehow, powerful.

I was told (by my family, my mother specifically), however, that my great-grandmother was Choctaw, and there is a "Rainwater" on my dad's side, in an old family Bible. However, my DNA results have zero mention of this:

98.9% European

Northern European

35.1% British & Irish

3.1% French & German

0.2% Scandinavian

0.1% Finnish

51.2% Nonspecific Northern European

9.2% Nonspecific European

0.5% South Asian

0.2% Sub-Saharan African

0.1% West African

0.1% Nonspecific Sub-Saharan African

0.4% Unassigned

100% My Name

It seems, essentially, I paid $100 to find out I'm a white girl. I guess the NA looks I thought I had, and that my cousins definitely have, are more a reflection of maybe Black Irish, or something.

Someone told me, however, that it may be that the results don't show any NA ancestry because the data on that is very scarce.

The Scandinavian and Finnish were a surprise. But how long ago was that? I'm just really not sure how to interpret all this data.

Interestingly, I've been contacted by a score of third and fourth cousins, one branch of which is African American. We have no idea about my dad's side of the family: his father and his brother, my dad's uncle, were literally "left at the doorstep" of some family after all my paternal family were killed by a flood on or near the Mississippi River. This family treated these two boys like slaves, nearly working them to death, and both of left home as soon as they were old enough to get out on their own. Very rough life back then.

I would be proud to be African-American, if that is the case. None of us have any of those characteristics, however, and I'm thinking it's in-laws, but the data is so complicated and I really don't understand it and haven't got the time to figure it out. After all, Beethoven was 1/8 black, his grandfather from Northern Africa; and the composer had curly, black hair, brown eyes and a large, flat nose. Octoroon, I think is what they called it.

Your thoughts?
There is still a possibility you are part Native American
Mysterious DNA Discovered! Hints Native Americans' Mass Exodus From Eurasia : Science : Design & Trend

Old 01-30-2014, 12:44 PM

1,989 posts, read 2,534,576 times
Quote:
I would add that, until yesterday, I never knew that I had a black ancestor. And yet, throughout all my life, since I was like, 12, I've championed the cause of black people, been drawn to them, loved them, fought for them, written in their behalf and felt passionately the injustice of racism.

How can my behavior be linked to knowledge that I did not possess until yesterday, in my 63rd year of life?
I'm not sure how to read these results. How much ancestoral lineage do you have that is black?

Old 01-30-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aplcr0331 View Post
i'm not sure how to read these results. How much ancestoral lineage do you have that is black?
2%

Old 01-30-2014, 02:19 PM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Of course, "Native American" refers to those people who were already living on this continent when the Europeans arrived. Everyone knows that.
Hence my comments.

Old 01-30-2014, 02:32 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
Quote:
2%
or .4%?

did i read it wrong?

Old 01-30-2014, 02:55 PM

6 posts, read 9,028 times
What does the 0.4% unassigned mean?

Old 01-30-2014, 03:25 PM

5,326 posts, read 6,012,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
or .4%?

did i read it wrong?
Sub-Saharan 0.2% (total)
0.1% West African
0.1% Unassigned Sub-Saharan

Thus, the test result assigned the poster 0.2% African ancestry

May be noise.

Old 01-30-2014, 03:33 PM

2% I made the error of conflating the last three entries when the last two were actually indented subsets of the first one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy