Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 07:09 PM

9 posts, read 17,734 times

Advertisements

Black is a color that has been culturized and in our minds restricted to the UnitedStates American has no meaning other than being born here if your parents were from Iraq and you were born here you are American regardless of whether or not you follow American culture which is a mutt culture anyway coming from British German Irish French Spanish Scots NativeAmerican West African Italian Chinese Mexican Cuban WestIndian etc. Cultures. Africa is a continent not a country African is of that continent called Africa and ''of'' is derived from if you or anyone ever ate okra or you or any girl child ever had their hair braided or you like music with a ''beat'' that's all derived from people who once lived in Africa In Africa Black is African in fact in the Two/A an language of Ghana Africa is called Abibi-man literally black peoples land so if you are, ''black'' you are African.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2014, 07:24 PM

9 posts, read 17,734 times
Now I'll deal with why more have not taken the test part of it has to do with the mistaken belief that the test is a conspiracy from the man and also not wanting to have it stated that clearly we are west African many of us are ashamed of being westafrican and want to be Hebrew or Indian or Egyptian because Hebrew is supposedly chosen by god therefore special Indians are lighter with straight hair that blacks covet Egyptians built the pyramids Our west African ancestors were mostly just regular folks who lived like how we see those nolywood movies with the villages on YouTube mud huts with grassroots in the jungle we are that plus west Europeans finding out you are a little bit Tikar on your mom's mom's side a group no one knows anything about + Some Scottish and none of that beloved Cherokee-Blackfoot is boring

Old 10-17-2014, 12:47 AM

1,554 posts, read 1,892,214 times
Most African Americans are mixed race. AAs are U.S. Americans.

If they want to know about their African ancestral origins using the relative matches can help pinpoint migration patterns and origins and establish networks and connections.

Old 10-18-2014, 10:17 AM

13 posts, read 14,245 times
As a person who has taken three of these tests, I really think those taking the test thinking it will give you automatic answers as to exactly where your ancestors hail from will be disappointed. These tests can only give you clues of what modern day populations that your DNA resembles today. You still need to do your own (hard) research using the clues and not jump to easy assumptions.These tests do a much better job of connecting you to cousins than to a long ago group of people. Now if you get a 100% Hausa or Yoruba(or what have you) cousin, then you can more confidently claim that descent. The ethnicty prediction work much better in broad (African, European, and Asian) terms. Then there is the fact that we inherit DNA randomly. In short, there are no shortcuts to answers.

I find that people who take the tests and are more interested in putting in the exhausting work of using the DNA evidence to place actual ancestors in their family tree arrive at much better and accurate answers as to where their ancestors possibly hailed. Granted, I am more much interested in using these tests to find the names of my ancestors and people who I currently share DNA with and not hung up so much on finding the ethnicity. I get the right names and connect with my matches, more often than not, I will know a lot more about those people's ethnicities that help make me.

Old 10-18-2014, 02:25 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,975,940 times
Is it wrong to just be "black?" No. I don't see it as a negative, and I hope most African Americans see the positives in being black. We are uniquely American, from a time prior to the Salem Witch Trials to the election of President Obama. I like the term "American" but "black American" is just fine. Any negative connotations that come with that are from uninformed and ignorant, non-black people.

Having said that, it is nice to know your heritage. Because the U.S. stopped importing slaves around 1810, most black Americans with ancestry in the U.S. prior to WWI have 200+ years of America flowing in their veins. Finding connections to the Old World is difficult with so much time spent in the New World, and this doesn't include the stripping of family ties due to slavery.

I've done 23andme, but would like to learn more about my African heritage. I think New World blacks should embrace their hand in the unique culture of the Americas while also acknowledging and honoring their West/Central African roots.

Old 10-18-2014, 02:38 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,388,117 times
black is a race, if someone takes offense to being identified as their own race then i dont know

---
i hear that raven simones lineage hails from the ancient state of lousiana from way way way way way back in history

Old 10-18-2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma X View Post
As a person who has taken three of these tests, I really think those taking the test thinking it will give you automatic answers as to exactly where your ancestors hail from will be disappointed. These tests can only give you clues of what modern day populations that your DNA resembles today. You still need to do your own (hard) research using the clues and not jump to easy assumptions.These tests do a much better job of connecting you to cousins than to a long ago group of people. Now if you get a 100% Hausa or Yoruba(or what have you) cousin, then you can more confidently claim that descent. The ethnicty prediction work much better in broad (African, European, and Asian) terms. Then there is the fact that we inherit DNA randomly. In short, there are no shortcuts to answers.

I find that people who take the tests and are more interested in putting in the exhausting work of using the DNA evidence to place actual ancestors in their family tree arrive at much better and accurate answers as to where their ancestors possibly hailed. Granted, I am more much interested in using these tests to find the names of my ancestors and people who I currently share DNA with and not hung up so much on finding the ethnicity. I get the right names and connect with my matches, more often than not, I will know a lot more about those people's ethnicities that help make me.
That is why the relative finder and relative matching is important and helps establish backtracking and connections into the past.

Old 10-18-2014, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
Is it wrong to just be "black?" No. I don't see it as a negative, and I hope most African Americans see the positives in being black. We are uniquely American, from a time prior to the Salem Witch Trials to the election of President Obama. I like the term "American" but "black American" is just fine. Any negative connotations that come with that are from uninformed and ignorant, non-black people.

Having said that, it is nice to know your heritage. Because the U.S. stopped importing slaves around 1810, most black Americans with ancestry in the U.S. prior to WWI have 200+ years of America flowing in their veins. Finding connections to the Old World is difficult with so much time spent in the New World, and this doesn't include the stripping of family ties due to slavery.

I've done 23andme, but would like to learn more about my African heritage. I think New World blacks should embrace their hand in the unique culture of the Americas while also acknowledging and honoring their West/Central African roots.
African slaves were still brought into the USA after 1810. The last arrival and importation of African slaves into U.S. borders was on the Clothilde in Africatown and Mobile Alabama in 1859 and 1860. They were trafficked in illegally.

Old 10-18-2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
black is a race, if someone takes offense to being identified as their own race then i dont know

---
i hear that raven simones lineage hails from the ancient state of lousiana from way way way way way back in history

Raven could have articulated her point better, but I understood what she said and she is absolutely correct. The delivery of her message got lost in translation. Raven was just saying that she knows who and what she is, and that why should it or does it matter to nosy people all up in her business. She essentially says why should she have to declare or proffess anything to judgemental people so they can make assumptions and categorize and pigeonhole her and when they could get to know her as individual instead. She is aware that people will attach labels and assumptions about her but why should she have to come out or constantly state what her race is when you know it. I'm sure she is aware that anti black people will give her flack for her race or nice story, but she is ultimately saying eff off to racist ppl that hate blacks. Also why don't people tell whites to state that they're white all the time. I don't think Raven even denied the label of African American either. Perhaps she prefers black but uses both interchangeably when necessary. But it is clear and obvious that Raven is of mixed ancestry. Raven didn't even have to breach or address the topic as Oprah never addressed that. All Raven was saying is that she knows who and what she is.

If Raven is curious about her ancestral origins, Louisiana has extensive deep colonial record keeping and even specific tribes are documented. She could even read the book "Africans In Colonial Louisiana" by Gwendolyn Midlo Hall and could find out more about her ancestors. Raven's roots lie in Louisiana in Winn Parish. Her grandparents are of the Gaulden & Ross families. Her families' ancestral parish of Winn, Louisiana are extremely proud of her success. Louisiana Creoles are a Hispano-Franco/Latin cultural and ethnic group consisting of people of all races and mix of races, and the traditional languages spoken are Spanish, Louisiana Spanish, French, Louisiana French, and Louisiana Créole. Overall, Raven knows who and what she is. It should serve as a wake up call that people of African descent deserve the right more than anyone to simply be referred to as simply just U.S. Americans first, for they contributed so much to the founding, establishment, and development of the great nation we call the USA.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:27 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,975,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobreTodo View Post
African slaves were still brought into the USA after 1810. The last arrival and importation of African slaves into U.S. borders was on the Clothilde in Africatown and Mobile Alabama in 1859 and 1860. They were trafficked in illegally.
True, but I'd guess that the vast majority of slaves came before that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy