Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 01:33 PM

60 posts, read 131,994 times

Advertisements

What impact would massive DNA ancestry testing have on African Americans? I think it would be a very positive development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 01:34 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,515,776 times
I'm curious as to why more African Americans are not taking advantage of the DNA testing? The testing is under $500.

If Dr. Gates was so truly interested the backgrounds of were African Americans slaves originated from why doesn't he get a sponsor to pay for the test in the interest of cultural heritage? He could probably get a Government grant to research it.
Instead he wants to rip them off for $500 bucks! Slave traders come in all colors huh?

Old 02-16-2014, 01:36 PM

15,068 posts, read 6,110,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
I'm curious as to why more African Americans are not taking advantage of the DNA testing? The testing is under $500.

If Dr. Gates was so truly interested the backgrounds of were African Americans slaves originated from why doesn't he get a sponsor to pay for the test in the interest of cultural heritage? He could probably get a Government grant to research it.
Instead he wants to rip them off for $500 bucks! Slave traders come in all colors huh?
Please attempt to have an intelligent discussion, instead of the ignorant commentary.

Old 02-16-2014, 01:39 PM

DNA unlocks pre-slavery African ancestors | Finding Your Roots on PBS America - YouTube

DNA unlocks pre slavery African Ancestors -Finding your Roots!!!!

Old 02-16-2014, 01:42 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,515,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Please attempt to have an intelligent discussion, instead of the ignorant commentary.
The ignorance would be "pay me $500 dollars for me to tell you what part of Africa and your tribe is from"!

Old 02-16-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:

Why should he be responsible for that? At the end of the day, the geneticists are conducting the work and they should be paid by the people who want their samples analyzed.

The mere fact that this technology exist is amazing. There is no excuse for a middle class or even working class "black" people to forgo this testing, in my opinion. I ordered my test kits today. FYI --one has to do both, the maternal and paternal to really unlock your ancestry.

Old 02-16-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
The ignorance would be "pay me $500 dollars for me to tell you what part of Africa and your tribe is from"!
Imagine one no longer needing to use the word "black" or even African, but being able to say, I'm of Igbo, Wolof, etc ancestry. My ancestors origins are in Senegal, Gambia, and Nigeria.

Surely, some will pay $500 dollars for a new outfit, or two pairs of Jordans, but yet scoff at the idea of unlocking their ethnic origin. LOL This is sad.

Old 02-16-2014, 01:48 PM

15,068 posts, read 6,110,466 times
Quote:
Figured that would be too difficult for you. There are plenty different DNA testing agencies for people to choose from.

Old 02-16-2014, 01:51 PM

29,403 posts, read 16,308,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena2345 View Post

I'm curious as to why more African Americans are not taking advantage of the DNA testing? The testing is under $500. Imagine what you could do with such knowledge, once you've uncovered your actual ancestral identity.

For starters, if you are a descendant of the Igbo in Nigeria, you could book a trip to Nigeria and start unraveling your ancestors identity and your true composition. You could also learn (or at least attempt to learn) the lgbo language and customs of your ancestors. This would free you from the generic "black or African label" because you would actually know where in Africa your ancestors hailed from.

What are your thoughts?
You answered your own question, I dont have 500 dollars to throw away on something that isnt going to improve my life.

And what exactly is wrong with the generic "black or african label" and why do i need to be freed from it ???

Old 02-16-2014, 01:55 PM

29,403 posts, read 16,308,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena2345 View Post
Imagine one no longer needing to use the word "black" or even African, but being able to say, I'm of Igbo, Wolof, etc ancestry. My ancestors origins are in Senegal, Gambia, and Nigeria.

Surely, some will pay $500 dollars for a new outfit, or two pairs of Jordans, but yet scoff at the idea of unlocking their ethnic origin. LOL This is sad.
So basically you are racebaiting, ok i will bite

will unlocking my ethnic origin work the same way as unlocking a power in "inJustice"or X Men Origins, will i be able to run fast and jump higher or something ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy