U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2014, 09:14 PM

449 posts, read 1,606,246 times

Advertisements

I have had close family create an account at ancestry but was wondering about other ways to share. Not everyone wants to do that, especially older or more distant relations. I'm not very sure how to do ged files?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 06:54 AM

1,879 posts, read 2,069,642 times
One online version of one of my family trees is done through Rootsmagic which seems to have various different features in regards to extras like publishing and wall charts:

RootsMagic Features

Here is an sample version of a family tree website:

The James Smith Family (A Sample Website)

I don't know if that's what you are referring to.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:44 AM

9,796 posts, read 15,835,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestmom View Post
I have had close family create an account at ancestry but was wondering about other ways to share. Not everyone wants to do that, especially older or more distant relations. I'm not very sure how to do ged files?
If you have an Ancestry.com tree, you can download a gedcom very easily from it. Just go to your tree settings (with your pedigree open, click on "Tree Pages" which is right next to your tree name and select "Tree Settings" from the drop down menu) and on the right it should say:

"Manage your tree
Export your family tree data, as a GEDCOM file, to your computer."

And then just click the export button.

However, keep in mind that whoever you send the gedcom file to will have to have software that can read the file! It's doubtful that everyone in your family has this, especially if they are not already into genealogy. While there is free software that will read the file, taking the time and effort to download and install it, figure out how to use it, etc is probably more work than just asking them to sign up at Ancestry.com.

If you want a place where you can upload your tree to the internet and just give people a link to view it where they don't have to sign in, there are places where you can do that - like Rootsweb, but it will mean making your tree public so anyone can find it and view it, not just your family members.

If you want to keep your tree private among your family, the best options are to continue asking them to sign up at Ancestry.com or you could print out charts and/or reports which you can physically hand out to family members or perhaps put some charts and reports on a disk to give them.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:50 AM

738 posts, read 909,920 times
If I'm not mistaken, there is also Rootsweb that allows users to upload and/or download their trees. You only need to sign up for an account. There are no fees however, the user is limited to only posting data.

This could be an option if you just want to share the 'facts'.

Gedcoms are nothing more than packaging up your data and sending it to a destination. All genealogy software has the ability to do this and provides 'help files' to assist you through the process. In my RootsMagic program, I simply open the program that I want to Gedcom; click on the file tab; click on export; then I check the things that I want included (or excluded) from the file and click OK. The program then asks me where I want the Gedcom to go. I set up a file called "Gedcoms" in my documents folder and I just tell the program to send it there. I also date my Gedcoms so I can keep track of the newest. For example, a current file may be named: Smith021714. Remember the location of your Gedcom file since you will need to find it in order to upload your file.

To upload a Gedcom to get it online, go to the websites Family Tree tab. In Rootsweb, you click on "Family Trees" and then under the "Submit your family tree to world connect" click "start here". When you get to the next screen, you either create an account or login. Once you have logged in, you simply follow the prompts to upload your tree. You can mark it either private or public. You have complete control and you don't have to pay a membership fee in order to allow others access it (which is the issue with a subscription-based service). *If I'm in error, please let me know.*

I am an Ancestry subscriber and have been since 2002. I have trees posted on both Ancestry and Rootsweb.

Of course, you could always print off copies of your tree, but that could be problematic if it is a really big tree. But I too have elderly relatives that were interested but do not use the internet. In that instance, I had no choice but to print out information for them.

Hope this helps.

RVcook
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy