Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 07:52 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
If you did all three, you would find some ...only tested with one company...
Right. That was the question.

Quote:
Having my DNA on two sites just increases my chances, I think.
Unstated... the question is for an adoptee without any blood names to work from.

Quote:
You can do the 23AndMe or Ancestry.com and then transfer your results to FamilyTreeDNA...
Which "result" would that be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 08:30 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010:
If you did all three, you would find some ...only tested with one company...
Right. That was the question.

Quote:
Having my DNA on two sites just increases my chances, I think.
Unstated... the question is for an adoptee without any blood names to work from.

Quote:
You can do the 23AndMe or Ancestry.com and then transfer your results to FamilyTreeDNA...
Which "result" would that be?
To address the last issue first, you upload the raw DNA results file.

If you are looking for relatives for an adoptee, definitely do the DNA. You may get lucky and find a really close relative.

Stories From 23andMe: “Hey, Bro” | The 23andMe Blog

Old 03-17-2014, 09:11 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I did both of them - and as a person of primarily French and German ancestry, found that for me DNA research via both companies was pretty much a waste of money.

23andme showed I have a high percentage of "unspecified" Northern and Southern European
Ancestry showed I have a high percentage of "Western European"

So, THAT was boring.
Well, DNA results are best used in combination with genealogy research. On their own, they can only tell you so much. I got 5% West Europe but knowing my tree the way I do, I know this is my German ancestry.

Quote:
And Mr. Rational - both companies will connect you to other people who are likely distant cousins. On Ancestry you can then click directly to their family trees, and so share with them your own tree information. But no, the results aren't in any Gedcom format.
You can download your DNA raw data from Ancestry.com or 23andme and upload it to third party sites that will accept it. Ancestry.com does not allow you to upload raw data from another company's autosomal test results though. GEDmatch.com is a great option for uploading DNA raw data from all different companies and it's FREE.

Quote:
So my final opinion on the subject - maybe DNA genealogy is more interesting if you have a mixed ancestry. I do find it odd that Ancestry has been able to identify specific African tribal DNA but can't differentiate between the French and Germans. Does that mean there was more mixing in western Europe than in Africa?
I am not sure they can differentiate between specific African tribal DNA - last I knew, they could only give an estimated region of Africa that one came from, which of course was usually from around the slave coast: Slave Coast - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But yes, there's always been a lot of mixing going on in western Europe, plus you have to remember that political borders have changed greatly over time and DNA is not bound by political borders. The border of France and Germany has always been a mixed culture and the border itself has changed over time. I have an ancestor who was culturally German but born in France on the border of Germany. Later, that area (Alsace) swapped ownership between France and Germany several times. It's not something they can narrow down to a specific country, unfortunately.

Old 03-28-2014, 03:35 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
I just ordered the Ancestry.com test on St. Patrick's day. They got me with an offer of $89, and they said they can now distinguish between Ireland and the rest of the British Isles.

We'll see how it goes. I was on the fence between 23andme and Ancestry, as they were both $99 with similar kinds of results. This was the first time I saw them saying they'd distinguish between the different British Isles. So that plus 10 bucks off hooked me.

I know that my ethnic origins are roughly this:

37.5% English who came to colonial America and have been here ever since
25% from Sweden
25% from what is now Germany
12.5% some combination of Scottish and Irish

So this new thing with supposedly distinguishing between the various parts of the British Isles will be very helpful to me.

Old 03-29-2014, 07:37 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,908,099 times
Please help.

I read that 23andme will disregard your results if you ship it to the lab from New York State.

Is it the same case with AncestryDNA?

Thanks

Old 03-29-2014, 08:33 AM

10,094 posts, read 14,965,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
Please help.

I read that 23andme will disregard your results if you ship it to the lab from New York State.
Why would 23andme disregard anything sent from NY?

If its a law prohibiting consumer DNA testing, then the other companies are probably not accepting anything from NY either. That state just gets weirder and weirder. lol

Old 03-29-2014, 09:24 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,908,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Why would 23andme disregard anything sent from NY?

If its a law prohibiting consumer DNA testing, then the other companies are probably not accepting anything from NY either. That state just gets weirder and weirder. lol
Yes, a few months ago there was a press release saying that a few states (NY and MD) banned DNA tests and the lab will not accept tests mailed from post offices within those states. Here's the article:
NY and MD limits on 23andMe | The Legal Genealogist

Quote:
Now there’s nothing in the law that says you can’t buy a DNA test kit from 23andMe if you live in New York. And the law doesn’t stop 23andMe from shipping the kit to you in New York. So you can order it and receive it in New York.

But the law does say you can’t provide the specimen in New York and have it tested by 23andMe, since it doesn’t have that New York permit. So to be legal, you have to cross the border into New Jersey or Connecticut and spit into the saliva collection tube there.

And you can’t send it in from New York and have it tested even if you spit into the tube in New Jersey or Connecticut. The policy at 23andMe is that any sample arriving in a package postmarked New York is discarded, so that it won’t run afoul of New York law.

Old 03-29-2014, 09:44 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Default Yes, it is true

Because of the way NY regulates medical testing, you cannot ship a test kit from NY to 23AndMe. The same is true of MD.

Since Ancestry.com and FamilyTreeDNA do not do health reports, you can use those.

https://customercare.23andme.com/ent...te-of-New-York

https://customercare.23andme.com/ent...te-of-Maryland

NY residents can go to another state, collect the specimen, and ship from there.

MD residents cannot legally do it even in another state.

NY and MD limits on 23andMe | The Legal Genealogist

Since neither Ancestry.com nor FamilyTreeDNA offer health testing, NY and MD residents can order from them.

Since 23AndMe is not currently doing health testing due to issues with the FDA, it would seem you should be able to order their test, too, but apparently not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy