Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 09:02 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,379,749 times

Advertisements

Has anyone heard of an ethnic group referred to as "Black Dutch"? My aunt told me our ancestors were Black Dutch and I know it isn't "African black" because she was a racist and if it had been that she would not have talk about it. She also told at other times our ancestors were "British Royalty" and still other times we were direct descendants of "an Indian Princes". I have since proven that ancestors # 2 & 3 are not valid, but I still don't understand "Black Dutch". Comments please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 09:10 PM

73,002 posts, read 62,578,805 times
Black Dutch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Elusive Black Dutch of the South (http://www.nativepeoples.com/article/articles/164/1/The-Elusive-Black-Dutch-of-the-South/Page1.html - broken link)

This is what I have found.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:32 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,379,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Black Dutch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Elusive Black Dutch of the South (http://www.nativepeoples.com/article/articles/164/1/The-Elusive-Black-Dutch-of-the-South/Page1.html - broken link)

This is what I have found.
Thanks, good read, I do appreciate it.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:07 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,257,297 times
In my family black Dutch refered to Fair skinned Norsemen who married the black haired German sometime around 1066. In 1600s the Dutch farmers in New Netherland had slaves from Africa who did learn to speak Dutch; in time it became their mother tongue. To date I have not found a church record of a child born to a dutch farmer and his slave - although I did find records of the baptisms of slaves and their childrern in the Dutch church.

AS to the word Mustee, I was taught 60 years ago by victorian grandmothers the term was from the Civil War. This child was the result of a union of the White master and slave. To be truthful I've never researched it any more than I reasearched the Lost Colony at Roanoke. There was a fair amount of movement between the Jews in Brazil and the Dutch on the Receif before hte Dutch rulers were forced out. .

Last edited by linicx; 06-04-2010 at 03:26 PM..

Old 06-03-2010, 07:37 PM

88,544 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
In my family black Dutch refered to Fair skinned Norsemenwho married the black haired German sometime around 1066. In 1600s the Dutch farmers in New Netherland had slaves from Africa who did learn to speak Dutch; in time it became their mother tongue. To date I have not found a church record of a child born to a dutch farmer and his slave - although I did find records of the baptisms of slaves and their childrern in the Dutch church.

Sojourner Truth was born into a Dutch-owned slave family. She only spoke Dutch as a child.

Sojourner Truth biography

To the OP--I am of Dutch descent, and my mother's family two generations back were known as the Black <Lastnames>. They had dark hair and olive skin in comparison to their mostly blue-eyed blond neighbors. There is also a Spanish surname in the family, but they came here from The Netherlands. At one time Spain had occupied Holland. Is it possible that the "Black Dutch" were either the result of intermarriage between Dutch and Spanish and/or Spaniards who stayed in Holland?

Not that all Spanish people are darker-haired and olive-skinned, but many are, especially compared to the usually-fair Dutch.

Old 06-04-2010, 05:41 AM

688 posts, read 1,489,490 times
In Ky., I have very infrequently heard that term. What few times I've heard it was in reference to Melungeons (I have a little in my ancestry), who are relatively common in a few pockets of East Ky., Southwest Va., and Northeast Tenn. (especially around Sneedville, west of Kingsport). They, in general, though not always, have somewhat of a Spanish or Portugeuse, maybe a little Native American Indian thrown in, a Caucasian appearance, but a little darker than most others around them. Neither geneologists nor geneticists have been totally successful in tracing their ultimate ancestry, but their DNA has often shown some Levantine (Middle Eastern) and/or Mediterranean (as in Spanish or Portuguese or Greek or Italian possibly) ancestry along with Scotts/Irish/English, common to Appalachian area, and some Native Indian as well. Some think might be descendents of Spanish or Portuguese sailors that either landed or shipwrecded in New World, probably in Carolinas, with intermarriage with local Indians and/or survivors of Lost Colony of Roanoke (of Sir Walter Raleigh fame). As mentioned, Melungeons often cannont trace their family tree more than a few generations back. Elvis supposedly had both Native American and Melungeon ancestry. Anyway, I heard my mom say I had a little Black Dutch heritage (along with my Cherokee and White heritage), she explained she meant Melungeoin.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:09 AM

73,002 posts, read 62,578,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Sojourner Truth was born into a Dutch-owned slave family. She only spoke Dutch as a child.

Sojourner Truth biography

To the OP--I am of Dutch descent, and my mother's family two generations back were known as the Black <Lastnames>. They had dark hair and olive skin in comparison to their mostly blue-eyed blond neighbors. There is also a Spanish surname in the family, but they came here from The Netherlands. At one time Spain had occupied Holland. Is it possible that the "Black Dutch" were either the result of intermarriage between Dutch and Spanish and/or Spaniards who stayed in Holland?

Not that all Spanish people are darker-haired and olive-skinned, but many are, especially compared to the usually-fair Dutch.
There were also some people of Portuguese descent who moved to The Netherlands. Among them were the parents of the philosopher Baruch Spinoza.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:24 PM

410 posts, read 1,107,637 times
Black Dutch = Melungeon (Google it, it's complicated)

Old 06-14-2010, 10:50 PM

4,538 posts, read 12,400,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think this might be one of the likelier explanations. I know that the "Black Irish" were given their name because of intermarriage with Spaniards. In this case the Spaniards were sailors from the Armada whose ships foundered off the northern coast of Ireland as they tried to circumnavigate the British Isles on their return back to Spain.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:13 PM

17 posts, read 41,006 times
I am communicating with somebody from Holland, and have been for awhile. We met on a music website, and we're both musicians. She is black; not darker-skinned or swarthy, but definitely African. She's absolutely native to Holland (she told me this herself), and I've wondered about this; I don't want to be insulting to her, so I haven't asked. When I saw the title to this thread, I had to take a look. Unfortunately, nothing here so far seems to explain this, except possibly Dutch slavery from the past. Anyone know more about this, specifically?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy