U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 11:19 PM

53 posts, read 171,865 times

Advertisements

Hi my name is Rharton,

I have always known my family as Portuguese, Irish and a little bit of distant English ancestry. My dad's family actually comes literally from Ireland, while my mom's parents were both born in Lisbon, Portugal whom both were dark olive skinned people. My mom litterally looks like she is Italian or Turkish and is extremely dark sinned while my dad could pass for an Irishmen, so I always assumed I was 50% Portuguese and 50% Irish-English.

Now I decided to take my ancestry DNA test through Ancestry.com , and for $99 it told me very strange results, like this:

45% British
34% Irish
10% European Jewish
6% Western European
3% Italian/Greek
2% West Asian / North African

WHAT????!?! How can I be 70%+ British/Irish, when my mom is 0% Brit or Irish!!!! And where did the Jewish trace come from?????? Im not even remotely close to being Jewish to any of my knowledge!!!!!! 10% Is way too high!!! Is Ancestry DNA Legit!!???

Should I pay money to get a 23andMe test done.. because it says I am 0% Iberian, which I know I am atleast partially Iberian, because my mom's maiden name is Silva!!!!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 12:40 AM

5,709 posts, read 3,128,751 times
Well, the Celtic peoples did populate into the Iberian peninsula a couple thousand years ago so that may mean something. And the jews and moors were very well establish there for a thousand years or so. I don't know the quality of ancestry.com but it is possible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History..._Jews_in_Spain

Old 06-05-2014, 12:44 AM

2,950 posts, read 4,886,356 times
If you want to understand your ancestry than you'll have to do the genealogy research. Begin with what you know & research back generation-by-generation. Genealogy research is not quick. People spend decades researching one family line.

DNA is wonderful, but it doesn't take the place of good old-fashioned genealogy.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:04 AM

5,366 posts, read 5,564,198 times
I wouldn't even take those percentages too seriously. For instance, along paternal lines, English people, Dutch people, and German people are almost exactly identical genetically (courtesy of the invasions from Saxony in the 6th century). You also have to remember that they get these percentages by comparing your DNA to other people in the database. The people in their database are mostly white Americans and British and Irish ancestries are very prevalent among them.

As for you Jewish and North African genes I might think those are accurate actually. Centuries ago during the Iberian inquisitions the Moors, Jews, and Gypsies were forced to convert to Catholicism or die. From my understanding the males from those groups almost universally died but many of the women were spared probably out of sexual desire among the Portuguese and Spaniards. So you very well might have many Jewish and North African markers in your DNA.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:42 AM

19,284 posts, read 25,793,806 times
id like to have one of those tests done also, but sounds like the results are some sort of genetic algaebra

in maine,its quite the shallow gene pool,so maybe two negatives equal a positive that was never there to begin with

Old 06-05-2014, 07:35 AM

9,610 posts, read 15,051,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinrhar View Post
Hi my name is Rharton,

I have always known my family as Portuguese, Irish and a little bit of distant English ancestry. My dad's family actually comes literally from Ireland, while my mom's parents were both born in Lisbon, Portugal whom both were dark olive skinned people. My mom litterally looks like she is Italian or Turkish and is extremely dark sinned while my dad could pass for an Irishmen, so I always assumed I was 50% Portuguese and 50% Irish-English.

Now I decided to take my ancestry DNA test through Ancestry.com , and for $99 it told me very strange results, like this:

45% British
34% Irish
10% European Jewish
6% Western European
3% Italian/Greek
2% West Asian / North African

WHAT????!?! How can I be 70%+ British/Irish, when my mom is 0% Brit or Irish!!!! And where did the Jewish trace come from?????? Im not even remotely close to being Jewish to any of my knowledge!!!!!! 10% Is way too high!!! Is Ancestry DNA Legit!!???

Should I pay money to get a 23andMe test done.. because it says I am 0% Iberian, which I know I am atleast partially Iberian, because my mom's maiden name is Silva!!!!!!
A few things to consider. First, you need to keep in mind that any ethnicity percentages from a DNA test are approximate - if you look at the details of your results, you'll see that they actually give you a percentage range, which might be closer to 50% for your British and Irish results combined. Also keep in mind that ethnicity inheritance is random so you don't always exactly 50/50 from each parent. Additionally, just because your grandparents were born in one place doesn't mean their ancestry has always been there. Europeans did move around a lot and there were Jewish people in Spain/Portugal and Britain, unless you've researched your tree back many generations, you can't know that you never had any Jewish ancestors, ever. Lastly, where in Ireland are your dad's family from? Keep in mind that Northern Ireland is populated with many people who are genetically Scottish or English.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:48 AM

20,694 posts, read 21,046,858 times
Sorry to bother is there a good site for doing this for people from the UK.

I want to pay to get my dna tested but its all american.. And I want to know countries not nw europe.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:14 AM

6,545 posts, read 4,560,235 times
Best way to trace your heritage is to do an actual study of your families history. You can do it yourself if you have the time or pay someone to do it for you. This is the best way to find out your heritage if that's important to you.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:03 AM

20,694 posts, read 21,046,858 times
Ugh but the church records are **** here I only got back to 1700 which is not far back enough.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:18 AM

9,610 posts, read 15,051,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Sorry to bother is there a good site for doing this for people from the UK.

I want to pay to get my dna tested but its all american.. And I want to know countries not nw europe.
FamilytreeDNA tests in the UK I think. However, you'll never get DNA results that will narrow things down to countries. National borders have changed over time and DNA is not defined by political borders. There is too much mixing of DNA around most borders, too many groups of peoples who are too genetically similar to tell them apart. It's simply not possible to say that you are x amount French, for example, based on DNA alone. It will tell you something like West Europe or European Coastal Plain, which includes mostly France and Germany and some other smaller nearby nations like Switzerland, Belgium, and the Netherlands. If you want to narrow it down further, you will have to do the research and follow the paper trail of your ancestors to discover where they came from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy