Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 02:42 AM

6,367 posts, read 6,220,521 times

Advertisements

I see a lot on-line about logs and "unverified" trees, etc. What prevents a genealogist from just making a whole bunch of crap up or them going in a totally wrong direction?

Has this happened to anyone when hiring another party to do your genealogy?

More than half of the surnames in my hx are EXTREMELY common in the area i live in and in their respective originating countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 07:26 AM

9,235 posts, read 14,787,155 times
You should read up on how genealogy is done and what constitutes acceptable proof BEFORE attempting it or hiring anyone to do it for you.

If you don't understand the basics, copying other's research and repeating their errors will be all you'll ever do.

Old 09-06-2014, 09:16 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,926,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
I see a lot on-line about logs and "unverified" trees, etc. What prevents a genealogist from just making a whole bunch of crap up or them going in a totally wrong direction?

More than half of the surnames in my hx are EXTREMELY common in the area i live in and in their respective originating countries.
When you want to hire a professional genealogist, you should first do a little bit of homework and research their credentials. In my experience "real" professionals are associated in some way with valid historical and/or genealogical societies (either members of one or contributing members of one) which would make total sense because a "real" professional is very, very interested in history and genealogy. You might consider hiring a professional through a historical and/or genealogical society depending on location. Example for me, if I was to hire, I'd go through the NEHGS.

But your "job" doesn't end there. If once you hire someone, he/she should ask you a lot of questions about what you already know for fact. If he/she doesn't and only asks for your data and your parents' names, then he/she could very easily, as you fear, go off in the wrong direction.

And still your "job" doesn't end. Once a professional comes back to you with a family tree, it must have sources, and real primary or secondary sources. A true professional genealogist will be a stickler for that, and will not include anything on a family tree that "might be so", "could be so", "seems to be so".

What we do not see on shows like WDYTYA are the sources the historians used to complete the celebrities' trees. All we see are the fancy scrolls they create or the computer graphics delineating a tree. But you can be rather assured that these historians checked for dotted i's and crossed t's before jeopardizing their reputations on national TV.

Old 09-06-2014, 03:52 PM

7,471 posts, read 13,477,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
When you want to hire a professional genealogist, you should first do a little bit of homework and research their credentials. In my experience "real" professionals are associated in some way with valid historical and/or genealogical societies (either members of one or contributing members of one) which would make total sense because a "real" professional is very, very interested in history and genealogy. You might consider hiring a professional through a historical and/or genealogical society depending on location. Example for me, if I was to hire, I'd go through the NEHGS.

But your "job" doesn't end there. If once you hire someone, he/she should ask you a lot of questions about what you already know for fact. If he/she doesn't and only asks for your data and your parents' names, then he/she could very easily, as you fear, go off in the wrong direction.

And still your "job" doesn't end. Once a professional comes back to you with a family tree, it must have sources, and real primary or secondary sources. A true professional genealogist will be a stickler for that, and will not include anything on a family tree that "might be so", "could be so", "seems to be so".

What we do not see on shows like WDYTYA are the sources the historians used to complete the celebrities' trees. All we see are the fancy scrolls they create or the computer graphics delineating a tree. But you can be rather assured that these historians checked for dotted i's and crossed t's before jeopardizing their reputations on national TV.
Have you not seen the episodes where they are at the library or courthouse, etc looking at the actual old documents used to substantiate the trees ?

Old 09-06-2014, 04:20 PM

10,196 posts, read 17,755,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post

A professional genealogist should be certified with either the Board for Certification of Genealogists or with the National Genealogy Society. Anyone with those credentials is unlikely to be careless with their research and documentation.

Old 09-06-2014, 04:32 PM

10,196 posts, read 17,755,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Have you not seen the episodes where they are at the library or courthouse, etc looking at the actual old documents used to substantiate the trees ?
They do show this sometimes but equally, there are times when they jump back many generations without showing how they accomplished it, probably because the researchers did not find any story of great interest.

Old 09-07-2014, 07:29 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,926,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Oh, I have! and envious :-) To many of us, just seeing the few old documents that time allows is "proof" that ALL parts of the celebrity's tree have been substantiated with primary and secondary documents. But to viewers who are new at genealogy or have never done any research but are just interested, and just seeing a few docs, it may not be as obvious to them that that is how a professional historian/genealogist works.

Old 09-07-2014, 07:33 AM

9,235 posts, read 14,787,155 times
It's often best to hire a genealogist close to the source of the primary documents, i.e. if your ancestors came from South Carolina, hire a researcher who lives there.

Old 09-07-2014, 12:59 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,633,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
It's often best to hire a genealogist close to the source of the primary documents, i.e. if your ancestors came from South Carolina, hire a researcher who lives there.
I've found this to be most effective, because you HAVE to do legwork at some point.

Even the "best, most credentialed" ones will make glaring mistakes (those who believe that the Family History Library in Utah has "90 percent of all information" -- a direct quote from the first professional I hired).

I was super-excited because she agreed to take on my project, and she'd been "on TV," but she farmed my project out to one of her staffers, who incorrectly documented that a certain "Jane Doe" had married three times -- but the tipoff was that each time, her name remained "Jane Doe" -- if she had married three times, she would not have kept her maiden name each time, and this was WAY back in the day.

I later found someone who DID the legwork and found some really incredible things that the "TV genealogist" would never have found. He went right to the source -- the court houses, the state history libraries, etc.

So, I would hire someone local to the area of interest -- but always trust your instincts. I remember thinking, "that seems strange" when I got the report back re: Jane Doe, but I let it go and put blinders on because, well, they were the "experts." But common sense overrules that sometimes.

Old 09-07-2014, 01:24 PM

6,954 posts, read 11,995,735 times
Just wondering if someone would tell me about what a researcher costs? Ball park figure more or less. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy