Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 02:25 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,244,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Again, I don't know what history books you're referring to, but at least since the 70s, most history books are very, very inclusive of other non-white/European history. there has not been that "void." Perhaps you are older and didn't get to benefit from more recent changes? But those of us in our 40s and under have. Plus, in the past 10-15 years, a lot of history being taught in higher education and public schools is closer to being "anti-white/European."

Anyway, we'll have to just understand that we're seeing things from different perspectives. Just please be aware that perspectives that differ from yours do exist and they are not "wrong."

It's a little strange, thought that you keep referring to him as "Skip" like he's your buddy or something.

I do agree with you that this show (and Who Do You Think You Are?) would be much better if they used "normal" people--from all kinds of backgrounds--and no celebrities. I kind of think celebrities get enough attention already, don't they? but I guess TV people have this idea that viewers won't watch unless there are celebs. They don't understand that history buffs and genealogy buffs don't care.
I totally respect the fact that you have an opinion, and its different from mine. I am all about fairness. And you are actually older than I, stating that you are in your 40's. None of my history books encompassed the narratives of black politicians during reconstruction or delved into the myriad of black intellectualism outside of Carter G, Booker T (My actual Alma mater), Fredrick Douglass, etc whom are all well known. Skip Gates is not uncovering the history of the very minuscule popular historical Americans of color, but he sheds light on personal narratives which include stories not taught to the masses. Case in point: Chris Rocks ancestor was a politician in South Carolina during reconstruction. Multi term politician at that. I have a close friend from Columbia and when I flew from NYC to be in his wedding in Columbia I asked him if they taught that there and he was as surprised as I was. College teaches minute detail facts such as this to some degree, especially in classes such as African American Lit. I didn't find out who Phyllis Wheatley was until college. Her poetry goes back to the colonial days.

Old 12-10-2014, 02:35 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
I totally respect the fact that you have an opinion, and its different from mine. I am all about fairness. And you are actually older than I, stating that you are in your 40's. None of my history books encompassed the narratives of black politicians during reconstruction or delved into the myriad of black intellectualism outside of Carter G, Booker T (My actual Alma mater), Fredrick Douglass, etc whom are all well known. Skip Gates is not uncovering the history of the very minuscule popular historical Americans of color, but he sheds light on personal narratives which include stories not taught to the masses. Case in point: Chris Rocks ancestor was a politician in South Carolina during reconstruction. Multi term politician at that. I have a close friend from Columbia and when I flew from NYC to be in his wedding in Columbia I asked him if they taught that there and he was as surprised as I was. College teaches minute detail facts such as this to some degree, especially in classes such as African American Lit. I didn't find out who Phyllis Wheatley was until college. Her poetry goes back to the colonial days.
I also didn't know about Phyllis Wheatley until college. As stated, I graduated in the late 1990s from high school. If I had not been a voracious reader, I would never have even read any of the Harlem Renaissance writers. I never knew of Zora Neal Hurston until college. I also never knew about Paul Laurence Dunbar until college and he is from Ohio and I am from Ohio!!! Ironically, I told my great grandmother about him during my freshman year and she knew who Paul Laurence Dunbar was. My great grandfather said I am related to him and I actually found out that I am related to him, so that was exciting.

Many people in general overlook great black writers in particular in today's modern age. My husband is from Chicago and never read anything by Gwendolyn Brooks in high school. He graduated in 1990. Gwendolyn Brooks was still alive in 1990 and was considered by many to be a national treasure. A well regarded school is now named after her on the Southside of Chicago now that she has passed away. I hope they are teaching her work but one can never be sure.

Old 12-10-2014, 02:51 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Well, mostly we agree, in some ways we disagree and all of us have our own personal biases because (as stated so well in this thread) we are all human. The program is over and this thread has drifted way off topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy