Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2014, 08:51 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times

Advertisements

Genealogy does make history more interesting but I remember something that happened a few years back. A teacher asked her class to bring in a list of some of their ancestors, maybe even just going back a few generations. Maybe just back to their grandparents or gt grandparents.

It was ruled illegal or politically incorrect or something because there are kids who don't know who their father is or who have some other sort of difficult situation. It would be embarrassing for them. Such a shame but I guess I do understand.

Finding your roots does help with history but only if your roots CAN be found.

(and I missed this week's show!!!! I'm sure they must be repeating it though.)

Old 11-06-2014, 03:22 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Genealogy does make history more interesting but I remember something that happened a few years back. A teacher asked her class to bring in a list of some of their ancestors, maybe even just going back a few generations. Maybe just back to their grandparents or gt grandparents.

It was ruled illegal or politically incorrect or something because there are kids who don't know who their father is or who have some other sort of difficult situation. It would be embarrassing for them. Such a shame but I guess I do understand.

Finding your roots does help with history but only if your roots CAN be found.

(and I missed this week's show!!!! I'm sure they must be repeating it though.)
PBS fills in the empty times with repeats over hawkers so check your directory. It should also be online. Good show, but not a happy ending for everyone.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:04 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,769,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
PBS fills in the empty times with repeats over hawkers so check your directory. It should also be online. Good show, but not a happy ending for everyone.
Finding Your Roots does repeat on PBS time to time. I don't watch it often enough to know the patterns yet. I guess it also depends on how many PBS stations are in your area (s).

Old 11-07-2014, 08:38 AM

4,858 posts, read 4,794,690 times
Past episodes are on the PBS web site.
Finding Your Roots | Watch Online | PBS Video

Old 11-07-2014, 08:42 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
I don't like the idea of watching it on the PBS website, because they make you join up. Screw that.
I just re-watch on On-Demand for this season, and for last season, I watch on Youtube.

Old 11-07-2014, 01:45 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,646,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I don't like the idea of watching it on the PBS website, because they make you join up. Screw that.
I just re-watch on On-Demand for this season, and for last season, I watch on Youtube.
I watch it on that site every week, the day after it airs. It doesn't require membership; I don't have to pay to watch it on pbs.

Old 11-07-2014, 04:12 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiashen View Post
I watch it on that site every week, the day after it airs. It doesn't require membership; I don't have to pay to watch it on pbs.
Yeah, you might not have to pay, but it asks you to sign in. That means giving them your information. You have to sign up for the website; I didn't mean you have to be a pbs "member" who donates.

Old 11-07-2014, 06:22 PM

738 posts, read 998,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Yeah, you might not have to pay, but it asks you to sign in. That means giving them your information. You have to sign up for the website; I didn't mean you have to be a pbs "member" who donates.
TracySam, I just went to PBS.org, found the last episode, clicked on it and it played. I don't bother watching in HD so there was no signing in. I'm assuming that's what you're objecting to?

But I have to ask:...doesn't everyone have a 'false' profile set up in Facebook?...just like having a dummy email account? I have two profiles in Facebook, one that is really me and one that is false. The false profile account also has a false location, false birthday, and conveniently no friends and no personal information. This is the account I use to sign into places like PBS or to make comments on other websites where it requires a sign-in. I also do this with my email accounts; one strictly for personal emails, one for genealogy emails and one for junk stuff from misc. websites that I don't care about.

Yeah I know...not really ethical, but I don't find data mining really ethical either .

RVcook

Last edited by RVcook; 11-07-2014 at 07:41 PM..

Old 11-07-2014, 07:36 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,646,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVcook View Post
TracySam, I just went to PBS.org, found the last episode, clicked on it and it played. I don't bother watching in HD so there was no signing in. I'm assuming that's what you're objecting to.

RVcook

Right, you can watch it on that site for free, and it does not ask me to sign in. I've done it all season. You just click play, and it plays.

Old 11-08-2014, 10:27 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,769,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiashen View Post
Right, you can watch it on that site for free, and it does not ask me to sign in. I've done it all season. You just click play, and it plays.
Same for me with the PBS site, I just click on an episode listed and it plays, no nag screens asking me to log into the website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy