Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2014, 10:43 PM

1 posts, read 833 times

Advertisements

Hi!

My name is Bessie and I was born and raised in Boston, MA. I am looking for more information about my dad's father's side of the family. Unfortunately my grandfather is estranged from our family but it's left us with no information on the background of our family. I know that he was born as Joseph Francis Maher in January of 1934 in Boston, MA. I think his mother's name was Sally? I was told that Sally was married to a guy with the last name Maher (that's what I assume). However Sally was said to have an affair with the last name Claude. I have carried this last name and have no more information about the history or any of my relatives. I'm getting married next year. I would love to find out more information about my family and possibly make some connections. I am hoping that I might be able to connect to someone of that side of the family too.

Thank you,
Bessie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 01:44 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,488,697 times
Hi Bessie. Welcome to the world of genealogy - warning, it is addictive!

Your best bet, at this point, is to order your grandfather's birth certificate from the Massachusetts State Archives. I don't know whether or not they will give it to you; they may require proof that you are related (i.e., your father's birth certificate and yours, to show the family line). Link to Massachusetts Vital records That link has a phone number you can call to see if you can order the record. There is a fee.

The birth certificate will give you at least his mother's name. According to the MA Birth Index on ancestry.com, his birth record can be found in Vol 6, Page 373

I checked the 1940 census. The only Joseph Maher that I found who was born in 1934 in Massachusetts was listed as Joseph M. Maher. He was enumerated with his mother, Helen (age 32, divorced, finished high school, waitress at a restaurant) and her brother, Leo Cloutier, age 42, divorced, a baker. Helen and Leo were both born in Boston.

It's unlikely that this is your Joseph. Without a little more information, we may not be able to find him in the index.

Old 10-02-2014, 06:03 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiebuttercup View Post
I checked the 1940 census. The only Joseph Maher that I found who was born in 1934 in Massachusetts was listed as Joseph M. Maher. He was enumerated with his mother, Helen (age 32, divorced, finished high school, waitress at a restaurant) and her brother, Leo Cloutier, age 42, divorced, a baker. Helen and Leo were both born in Boston.

It's unlikely that this is your Joseph. Without a little more information, we may not be able to find him in the index.
I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss that census record. Bessie doesn't sound too sure that his mother's name was Sally - family legend can often be wrong, especially with an estranged family you don't have much info on. The fact that the parents are divorced and the father not there is a possible indication of the estrangement which would lead me to believe it very well could be the right Joseph.

Old 10-03-2014, 10:54 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,488,697 times
It was more based on the boy's name - Joseph M. instead of Joseph F.

If Bessie can find her grandfather's birth record, we'll know better whether this may be the correct family.

Old 10-03-2014, 01:53 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiebuttercup View Post
It was more based on the boy's name - Joseph M. instead of Joseph F.

If Bessie can find her grandfather's birth record, we'll know better whether this may be the correct family.
In my experience one middle initial being wrong is not a reason to dismiss a census record. I've come across some were the middle initial is incorrect but it's definitely the right person. I've also found census records where the first and middle names were reversed - ie, Francis J. instead of Joseph F. I've found census records where the name is spelled incorrectly or is just plain wrong. I've found census records where the given name is actually a nickname (ie, Pippina instead of Josephine).

I agree until the birth certificate is obtained, it would be difficult to say for sure... I'm just saying, with all the huge errors I've seen on census records (I've even seen genders recorded wrong!), I would never dismiss one just because one letter was off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy