Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2014, 09:20 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,510,473 times

Advertisements

Seeking living relatives in Italy or America(or elsewhere?) who may be related by genealogy to me.

D’Aguanno, Vinci, Lo Presti, Presticozzo, Lupica, DePaula, Valore, , Gealo

Some of these names are verified, some supposed.

They immigrated to Cleveland Ohio from central Italy, Lazio area and Sicily, Sant'agata.

Thank you.

Last edited by creepy; 10-02-2014 at 09:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 11:28 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Without knowing your name, it would be hard to know whether anyone with those surnames are related to you.

You will need to research your specific ancestors, follow their relatives forward in the federal census, and trace their descendants that way.

For example, if you find your grandfather in the 1930 census with his parents and siblings, look for information on the siblings and their children, then look for the children in online sources like whitepages.com.

Obituaries can be very helpful, too.

An alternative is to look up the surnames in whitepages.com and start contacting people. You might have to pay to get addresses and phone numbers.

For example, there are only a few people in Ohio with the surname D’Aguanno:

Daguanno in OH | Whitepages

Old 10-17-2014, 07:42 AM

AHHHhh, silly me, it is D’Aquanno! Thanks I am doing most of those things you mentioned but was also posting this in case any actual people with those surnames are on city-data forum.

The Internet has allowed me to learn many surprises about my family. For example the name D’Aguanno is from central Italy and we knew Grandpa was from Sicily and so we assumed he was Sicilian. Now we know that going back further he may not be.

Thanks.

Old 02-29-2016, 08:03 AM

Default still seeking.......

Hi, all those names are people who live in Italy still for the most part. The ones who came here are my family. I have gone on sites looking for the names but sometimes the databases are in Italian which I cannot read.

So I am posting here to find folks with those names, to write to me and then the specifics we can iron out. I do not want to put my specific, detailed genetic line on the Internet in a public forum because if ID fraud concerns.

Old 02-29-2016, 09:30 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,874,219 times
Unless those surnames are rare, trying to find people related to you just because they share a surname is like trying to shoot a target in the dark. There's no assurance someone with the same surname in their tree is related to you - it's like trying to pull out the one blue marble in a bag full of hundreds of red ones. Especially since some of those surnames are assumed and may not be accurate. As suzy_q already suggested to you, you really need to research your specific ancestors and then find people who are also descended from those ancestors. Otherwise, you're just blindly groping about hoping to find something.

Old 03-05-2016, 04:50 PM

151 posts, read 203,888 times
Are you on Facebook? There are several good Italian genealogy groups. My ggp immigrated from central Italy but those surnames are not on my family tree. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy